VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quantum3D_Obsidian_X24_SLI_PCI.png

SLi in a single PCI slot and 24mb of memory. Does it work just like having two cards or does it have problems scaling?

😲 😲

Here's the link to the photo in case hotlinking gets blocked

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons … X24_SLI_PCI.png

Reply 1 of 10, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think these were used in arcade machines. It does work like you have two card, but I don't think there is a VGA passthrough.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
prophase_j wrote:

I think these were used in arcade machines. It does work like you have two card, but I don't think there is a VGA passthrough.

Does a list exist of which arcade machines used these?

Reply 3 of 10, by Menkau_ra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had 3 of them, but only one now.
b3dc9021b6518d63dee1a165cc4fb110.jpeg
It was selling for about $700.
Works the same like if you have regular SLI Voodoo2 combo. The pass-through cable has 26-pin connector, so if you don't have one the only solution would be the TV out. I also have a home-made 26-pin to 15-pin cable adapter, but every time you want to play you need to unplug the monitor or just plug second monitor.

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Does a list exist of which arcade machines used these?

Check out http://www.system16.com . Midway used 3DFX hardware for a few well known games like SF Rush and Hydro Thunder.

There's a restaurant near here that has a SF Rush 2049 cabinet yet. That one has Voodoo3 inside. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 😁

Reply 5 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Menkau_ra wrote:
I had 3 of them, but only one now. http://i14.fastpic.ru/thumb/2010/1226/10/b3dc9021b6518d63dee1a165cc4fb110.jpeg It was selling […]
Show full quote

I had 3 of them, but only one now.
b3dc9021b6518d63dee1a165cc4fb110.jpeg
It was selling for about $700.
Works the same like if you have regular SLI Voodoo2 combo. The pass-through cable has 26-pin connector, so if you don't have one the only solution would be the TV out. I also have a home-made 26-pin to 15-pin cable adapter, but every time you want to play you need to unplug the monitor or just plug second monitor.

These were actually released to the general public? I'll have to keep searching. Somebody out there somewhere has to have one. I don't mind setting up a second monitor for it since it has no VGA passthrough like the regular cards do.

Reply 6 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

why mess with it? unless you don't have a 2nd available PCI slot...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

why mess with it? unless you don't have a 2nd available PCI slot...

Having an extra PCI slot is never a bad thing.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are going to be way more than I was willing to pay. I found one for a little over $400 but the seller was having a sale for Christmas. It goes back up to $600 when the sale ends. I already have a pair of Black Magics so I guess I'll have to make do with one less PCI slot.

Reply 8 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Quantum3D Obsidian X24 was popular for a short while before Voodoo3. It was an expensive way to save yourself a PCI slot and improve analog signal quality.

The Quantum3D Obsidian 100SB is a similar single slot product using the Voodoo Graphics chipset.

Reply 9 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have one too, but got it without cable. So i sended it to some person to make it for me. He told me, that mine card was working, but it wont work on mine test MB with viaKT133a and have no time to instal win on mine dual P3 mb. So i have to believe him....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info