VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do agree with the other posters. Just use what you have. 😀
Another "trick" is using these old coloured cables inside old PCs, which often connect switches and the speaker to the mainboard.
Just grab two of them each and wire them together. Voila, you've got about the same as these expensive Arduino/Raspberry Pi GPIO cables. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 25, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IDC cables are so easy to make. A roll of ribbon cable and some various 2.54mm pitch female IDC connectors are a great investment for any retro enthusiast. Make your own to-length floppy / IDE / SCSI cables! 😁

Reply 22 of 25, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2020-02-23, 07:16:

...or you could just saw a random old floppy cable or COM breakout into pieces or go to town with a soldering iron 😉

Nobody has a pinout, ever.
Everyone has a continuity tester!

You best test continuity from one side to the other. I did this and could not get the pins to match up. The offset always made it off by one pin on a certain row.

You're much better off buying new ones. These sell for less than $1 or so shipped from China.

7ivtic.png

Reply 23 of 25, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No luck on those chinese ones, at least not under the name "sb_link cable"

Found a German mailorder, though. Didn't test it, but should do the trick for € 1,99 + shipping:
https://www.reichelt.de/pfostenverbinder-2-54 … 66-p262788.html

I like jumpers.

Reply 25 of 25, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:32:

No you just need a 3x2 straight through ribbon cable. They will most certainly not be called SBLINK or PC/PCI cables...that is long, long dead technology those only weirdos like us know about.

Sure, which is why I looked for "Flachbandkabel 2x3" on Reichelt.
Granted, those on Ebay even ship for free and are more colourful.
Don't know about Reichelt's international shipping costs, but quite a few of us weirdos seem to reside in Germany. ;)

EDIT: To admin/moderator: Somewhere else, links to the Bay got deletet. I understand the idea behind that, but am unclear whether that applies only to auctions or also to trivial, fixed-price stuff that's merely hard to find. (And which I have no affiliation to, of course.)
If so, please delete the link, I'll take a note, sorry.

I like jumpers.