VOGONS

First post, by mico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting, I've been lurking for years. I want to spread the word about a neat project that's getting off the ground. It would be a remake of an FM synthesis OPL sound card.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … PL2-Sound-board

The project needs a couple more volunteers to get the first prototype PCBs done and tested. I put my name down on the list and if you're interested, you should read that thread and put your name on the list.

Thanks!

- mico

Last edited by mico on 2011-01-23, 20:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might be an obvious question, but why? What are the benefits over an existing Soundcard with OPL2 or OPL3 chip?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by mico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For fun! And it's an opportunity for someone like me to strengthen my knowledge about electronics and hardware design. My day job consists mostly of writing / maintaining business and web applications so I don't get many chances to really dive deep into hardware. It also seems simple enough that I can appreciate and understand the design.

Also, original AdLibs are pretty expensive on eBay.

Reply 4 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

and also some day, the world is going to run out of sound blasters

And OPL2 chips 😀

Seriously, the project is concentrating on using OPL2 chips. I think it would be more useful to use OPL3 chips (although somewhat more difficult). In its current form, it is essentially remaking an Adlib card with better output characteristics.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 11, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, but useless project.

Might be fun to design such a card if you want to get yourself familiar with electronic design, but then again there are Soundblaster 2.0 cards readily available for small money ($5 vs. roughly $30 for such a DIY card).
If you want to do something useful, reverse engineer the 3rd chip required on the SB 2.0 for CMS compatibility or put an OPL3 on your card while remaining SB Pro compatible while sticking with the 8 bit ISA bus.

I've taken a short look on the PCB files available already ... is there any way to manage the output volume? I don't see a variable resistor common on these cards and nothing indicating a software mixer.

Reply 7 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

shock__ that is a good point!

What about a Gameblaster clone? I mean these two Philips Chips are readily available...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 11, by mico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might be fun to design such a card if you want to get yourself familiar with electronic design, but then again there are Soundblaster 2.0 cards readily available for small money ($5 vs. roughly $30 for such a DIY card).
If you want to do something useful, reverse engineer the 3rd chip required on the SB 2.0 for CMS compatibility or put an OPL3 on your card while remaining SB Pro compatible while sticking with the 8 bit ISA bus.

I personally haven't found SB 2.0 cards for 5$. Where is this? Also it's possible to put an OPM chip on it which would make it distinct, though you'd have to code your own apps.

I've taken a short look on the PCB files available already ... is there any way to manage the output volume? I don't see a variable resistor common on these cards and nothing indicating a software mixer.

There was some talk of that on the vintage-computer.com forums so there might be one in the final revision. I'm not the designer, I'm just interested in building it to learn from the experience.

Reply 10 of 11, by mico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

This might be an obvious question, but why? What are the benefits over an existing Soundcard with OPL2 or OPL3 chip?

This card can also be fitted with an OPM chip which would make it different. I'm not really interesting to create something better, it just seems like a fun project to me.

Reply 11 of 11, by mico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What about a Gameblaster clone?

What about an ¡Audio Loca! Bitchin' Retro 5.1 2000 sound card?

This makes me realize two things:

1. How dumb the word retro sounds
2. I should never use it again and edit the word retro out of the original post