VOGONS

Voodoo Questions

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 73, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course it is a fully functional SB16 in dos. Basically it has all the SB16 circuits integrated on a single chip, I think. The regular SB16 drivers should be fine. I used to have a SB16 pnp, and I used two disks. The basic driver disk and the other that was called pnp configuration manager. Then I changed it with a ct2800, which has a vibra chip also, and being non-pnp it need only the basic driver. Maybe yours will work the same way.

Reply 41 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back on topic to the Voodoo 1. Which 2D cards will work best with this?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 42 of 73, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't matter. When the voodoo is taking control, the 2d card is kind of disabled. I would like to have the diamond 3D 2000 you have in your 486. Having 4MB ram it can support a good combination of resolution/color depth, and the 486 will survive with another card!

Last edited by Markk on 2011-01-28, 23:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Markk wrote:

It doesn't matter. When the voodoo is taking charge, the 2d card is kind of disabled. I would like to have the diamond 3D 2000 you have in your 486. Having 4MB ram it can support a good combination of resolution/color depth, and the 486 will survive with another card!

At work right now I have a Stealth 64 S3 Trio64V+. Does that sound good for this purpose?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 44 of 73, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a very nice card also. I think that the virge chip the diamond has, is based on the trio64v+. In 2D graphics they perform similar. I'm sure about that, as I have tested my pentium with those two cards using 3dbench, and there wasn't a remarkable difference between the two. I would use the 3d 2000 on the pentium and the trio64 on the 486.

Reply 46 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well now it is time to go home and try a few of these options (if the kids will let me 🤣).

Thanks everyone.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 47 of 73, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My S3 trio card is also a diamond stealth 64, and works perfect. I like it very much, and I was lucky to find two more on ebay. So I got another diamond stealth and one spea mirage. The two of them cost me about 2.5$ (without shipping 😁 ), and I'm looking forward to get them in my hands to test them!

Reply 48 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I got home I checked out my Pentium II 300 MHz. It has a Matrox Millennium II in it. The system is working so well that I decided to use this system for a Voodoo 1. Will that Matrox work with it? Or should I switch it for something else?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 49 of 73, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any card will work with a Voodoo 1/2. And that speed is an excellent choice for a vintage Voodoo system, although it's probably a little over powered for a Voodoo 1, but I'm sure it'll be perfect for you.

Reply 50 of 73, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah the Millennium II + Voodoo 1 is a sweet combo!
The Pentium 2 300 pushes the Voodoo 1 to its maximum. If I understand correctly, you're mostly looking to play games of the Late DOS to Early Win95 games right? If that is so, don't bother with the Voodoo II as a lot of those early games will not work or will require a few tricks and really there's no reason as they won't profit.

Reply 51 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that is the era I want to concentrate on with this machine. The 486 can handle most of the older stuff.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 52 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo's scale extremely well to faster processors. Running one in a 486 rig is going to be wasting a lot of power. One of those 83mhz Pentium Overdrives would help a lot on a 486 motherboard or an AMD P75+ that can take being overclocked. Some of the 133mhz rated chips can be pushed to between 150 and 180mhz which puts them in the range of a P90 and the Voodoo will still have untapped performance. I have a matched set of Voodoo 2's and they continued to scale even in my dual PIII 1ghz rig and they were long obsolete by the time that motherboard was released.

Reply 53 of 73, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It just goes to show how much CPUs needed to catch up to be able to push the more complex geometry of later games.

UT99 and Quake 3 needed ~1 GHz CPUs to get really smooth.

Reply 54 of 73, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I got my Voodoo! This one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Monster-3D-PCI-4M … =item20b5945cbb

I have it installed in my PII 300Mhz, although I am waiting for the VGA cable to arrive in the mail 😠 . It looked like Windows 98 was trying to install the drivers for it when it started and it asked for the Windows 98 CD which I didn't have with me at the time. Will 98 be able to install the drivers for it? Or are there drivers available separately for the Voodoo 1? If so anybody have a link for download?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 55 of 73, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

I was running a V2 in my P90 setup but eventually removed it and put a USB 2.0 card in its place. Besides tomb raider, which wasn't even 30FPS, nothing played well on it.

Exactly. Thats the reason I hate the P90! It was too 'fast' for older games which made them unplayable and it was far too slow for newer games! Thats absolutely the worst CPU ever made by Intel. I think it even had some FPU bug... One is better off with 486 DX4, or K5 133Mhz, or a nice P133...

But any of these are too slow for 3dfx 😀 Full performance is gained by >166Mhz CPU for V1 and ~P2 >300Mhz for V2.

Reply 56 of 73, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What the hell are you talking about ? The Pentium 90 was a great CPU for its time, despite the fact that it is useless now. It was one of THE Pentiums back in the day.
If you're going to talk about worst intel CPUs talk about the first Celeron (Covington) and the first Pentium 4 (Willamete), the P90 deserves so much more.

Reply 57 of 73, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 well it's all relative. I'd rather have a Covington Celeron or a Willamette over a P90 any day! 😁

But I have become very selective. Personally my DOS machine is mainly DOSBOX and my Win9x machine is an Athlon or a P3. Don't really want to deal with slow problematic older hardware anymore.

I wish some brilliant group of people would make me Win9xBOX already. 😁 😁 (Gosh the XBOX really sticks out there!)

Reply 58 of 73, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well sure you'd have those instead of the P90 TODAY!
But back when it was released, the P90 was a good contender, not anywhere near the worst intel cpu.

That Win9xBOX would be so great wouldn't it? It would even contain DOSBox for the ultimate emulation! F Yeah!

Reply 59 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:
Shagittarius wrote:

I was running a V2 in my P90 setup but eventually removed it and put a USB 2.0 card in its place. Besides tomb raider, which wasn't even 30FPS, nothing played well on it.

Exactly. Thats the reason I hate the P90! It was too 'fast' for older games which made them unplayable and it was far too slow for newer games! Thats absolutely the worst CPU ever made by Intel. I think it even had some FPU bug... One is better off with 486 DX4, or K5 133Mhz, or a nice P133...

But any of these are too slow for 3dfx 😀 Full performance is gained by >166Mhz CPU for V1 and ~P2 >300Mhz for V2.

I kinda see the point here. Even though the Pentium 90 was great when it was sold, it didn't age gracefully, so to say 😉