Voodoo Questions

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 73, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Well sure you'd have those instead of the P90 TODAY!
But back when it was released, the P90 was a good contender, not anywhere near the worst intel cpu.

Oh man. I had it back at those days, and I hated it. I retired my 486 DX4 66Mhz for it and as soon as I did that I regretted it. Ducktales wouldn't run anymore, as well as bubble bobble (my favorite games at that time). Body blows also failed to start. I had problems running other games also, but I cant remember all of them anymore - but let's say that was 'history' and one should look up to new games, since its "pentium inside" as you say. So, how about modern games of that time?

Need for speed ran, but NFS 2 failed miserably. It only ran when paired with Voodoo in 3dfx mode. Diablo 1 ran, but it was terribly slow (level loading stairs were incredibly long compared to my friends P133 😜 ). Any other game of somewhat newer date failed to run properly on P90 - it was the CPU that was for years to come marked as the 'minimum requirements CPU, but that meant only running the game, not enjoying it. I got rid of that curse and went on to K6 300 Mhz after some (longer) time. That was a revelation.

On the side note, because of that cursed P90 I waited many long years before playing bubble bobble again within Dosbox. Man I hate it - I get shivers even thinking about it. 😅

Reply 61 of 73, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why wouldn't Ducktales and Bubble Bobble run?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 63 of 73, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want better voodoo 1 card you should look for Canopus Pure3D or Miro Hiscore3D. These beasts contain 6MB ram and Voodoo chips overclocked to 60Mhz! Unfortunately both require non standard voodoo-vga connector which is very hard to find.

I found a Canopus Pure3D. But it does not have a cable. Is this by chance what I need?

http://www.trianglecables.com/dbmalto9pinm.html
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … d=p5197.c0.m619
or
http://www.jaton.com.au/products/details.aspx … VC-J15D00031001

If not, anyone know where to find one? What terms to google for? What is it called? Don't know enough about what this is in order to search for it. I googled "vga 9 pin" and chose images mode. Just clicked on pics that looked right.

If not, could a monitor on the 2D card and a seperate one on the 3D card work? 2nd monitor would just be dark I assume till I played a game. No clue if that's possible. I guess some 2D stuff might still need to show up.

Thanks,
-bytes

Reply 64 of 73, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Why wouldn't Ducktales and Bubble Bobble run?

Because P90 was too fast for them I guess 🙁 Both of those games ended up as slide shows on P90 and there was nothing I could do about it.

In fact, if you want to see how they worked, download bubble bobble (freeware now) and start it from command prompt of a modern windows system. It worked exactly the same on P90.

Reply 65 of 73, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will try on my SS7 system!

So far I haven't run into a game where my Cache disable tricks didn't work...

My YouTube channel

Reply 66 of 73, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What exactly are you referring to? What cache are you disabling? And please, by all means do try and post results! 😀 I can also try if you state which cache I should disable...

Reply 67 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What exactly are you referring to? What cache are you disabling? And please, by all means do try and post results! 😀 I can also try if you state which cache I should disable...

Maybe time to write a guide?
Theres a lot of results spread all over the place 😉

Reply 68 of 73, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

Ooops, guilty assuming that everyone knows about my past projects 🤣

Here we go, all my Super Socket 7 research in a nice table.

In a nutshell you get a 386DX if you disable L1 and L2 and you get a 486 if you only disable L1, but leave L2 disabled. Which kind of 486 depends on the speed of the FSB and type of CPU. E.g. Pentium MMX and Cyrix are faster, Pentium and AMD K6 slower.

I tried Bubble Bobble and the game works fine, speed is also fine. BUT I get no sound / music. Nothing from the PC Speaker or Adlib / Soundblaster.

timemachinefsbscaling.png

Reply 69 of 73, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah! If only I knew this 15 years ago! Now, can you please go back in time and drop me a mail (a real post mail, not email) with instructions? 😜 I will try this too later on athlon XP. Basically, you say that we can just disable cache and stop using dosbox... Tempting indeed!

And btw, I still hate P90 😜

Reply 70 of 73, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure about an Athlon XP (Does it even have a BIOS option for this?), but any Pentium / Socket 7 machine should be fine.

PII and PIII it's a different story, you get a 286 / 386SX at the most...

I like Socket 7 machines because they are easier and cheaper to find than a 386 or 486. Compatibility is also excellent, great documentation, BIOS updates, ATX standard, large HDDs and so on...

My YouTube channel

Reply 71 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

Woah! If only I knew this 15 years ago! Now, can you please go back in time and drop me a mail (a real post mail, not email) with instructions? 😜 I will try this too later on athlon XP. Basically, you say that we can just disable cache and stop using dosbox... Tempting indeed!

Hold on...maybe just do a search on Ebay for "DeLorean" ;D

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-02-20, 18:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 72 of 73, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Elfuego, can you confirm that Bubble Bobble has no sound / music?

I don't have Duck Tales, so I couldn't test it I'm afraid...

Reply 73 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
elfuego wrote:

Hold on...maybe just do a search on Ebay for "DeLorean" ;D

Search and you shall find!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-1981- … =item2eb3496382
😁

fixed.