VOGONS

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All

I have an old Geforce 3 - an Asus v8200 - which works perfectly well apart from the fan doesn't spin. Consequently after 5 minutes of usage the PC restarts and I don't get a post until the beast cools. Looking at the fan power connectors (there is no sign of burn BTW) - I don't know how I'm supposed to fix it. The fan blades are free and they spin when I blow my airduster into it. What do you reccomend?

Regards

Van

http://www.dansdata.com/v8200d.htm
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/magnificent,342-4.html 🙄

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote:
Hi All […]
Show full quote

Hi All

I have an old Geforce 3 - an Asus v8200 - which works perfectly well apart from the fan doesn't spin. Consequently after 5 minutes of usage the PC restarts and I don't get a post until the beast cools. Looking at the fan power connectors (there is no sign of burn BTW) - I don't know how I'm supposed to fix it. The fan blades are free and they spin when I blow my airduster into it. What do you reccomend?

Regards

Van

🙄

Replace the fan?

Reply 3 of 9, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't replace the fan without spending £15 on a fan + ramsink set from a uk vendor, which is over double what I paid for the card. Because of the way the HS is made, a standard VGA cooler will not fit.

I took the card to a friends house today and he tested it in his P4 3.4Ghz AGP rig and the fan was spinning. Do you think that maybe the card isn't getting enough power to spin the (very small) fan from my Skt 462 motherboard? Or maybe it has something to do with the AGP slot in this machine? Is that possible?

Reply 4 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think that maybe the card isn't getting enough power to spin the (very small) fan from my Skt 462 motherboard?

The fan should draw probably a watt or less, using the same power lines running the card itself. I wouldn't see how it could be an issue of insufficient power. Perhaps there's a broken wire or bad connection, and moving the card around happened to cause it to make contact again?

Also, as far as replacing the fan, if it comes to that, you should be able to find a way to attach a regular case fan to the existing heatsink. Screws, zipties, something... I mean, it doesn't have to be pretty, just needs something blowing air on it.

Reply 5 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Zip ties, but sometimes you can remove the old fan and if the cooling fins are tight enough to fit screws into them, then you can just buy a new fan and try screwing it into the fins.

Cable ties is another option, so is sourcing other cards and "stealing" the cooler or just the fan...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Also, as far as replacing the fan, if it comes to that, you should be able to find a way to attach a regular case fan to the existing heatsink. Screws, zipties, something... I mean, it doesn't have to be pretty, just needs something blowing air on it.

Seconded 😉

It may not be pretty, but if it works it won't matter as it's inside the case and you normally won't see the "patchwork" anyway 😉

Reply 7 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If possible, post a picture so that others can see what type of fan-heatsink setup you have there. They'll be able to provide the best advice for your card just by looking at them.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks ideal for my suggestion.

See if you can get screws into the fins on the outside.

You really just need 2 screwns to securely fit a cooler. Choose a size so that the screws line up with the fins.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel