VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, the S7 bug has hit me. My win98 rig is nice but it's overkill for the games I actually need it for. Going through all the games I own, I've come to realize that the majority of the games I have are from the 92-96 range. A good chunk of the games are ones I originally owned and played on my two pentium machines, a p75 packard bell and a later p200mmx compaq. These games ran perfectly without issues on these contemporary machines but have some random issues on my 98 rig.

So, I started looking through my parts bin when I remembered about the p233 laptop I own. The specs are about what I wanted and plus it has an OPL3 for it's soundcard....I have no idea if that's a full fledged system or just the opl3 chip or whatnot..

Here is the spec sheet for it.
http://robertalpizar.com/dump/480cdt.pdf

Basically, P233mmx
64mb ram (in mine)
Chips & Technologies F65555 w/2mb
Yamaha OPL3-SA3

The screen is shitty, active looks like passive after so many years.

I need to pull it out of the box I have it in, play with the BIOS to see what kind of options I have for cache disabling and whatnot. The only thing that kills it for me is that I have no way to connect a joystick except for a usb one within windows, so that kills my options for DOS flight sims here.

So, my goals are to have a dual boot system, DOS 6.22 and Win95, pretty standard. I'd prefer a desktop that I can muck about with parts in, but if this machine will suffice for now, it'll satiate the bug I have.

As for a desktop, should I got that route, I'll need suggestions for just a couple of the parts. The oldest video card I have is a Stealth 3d 2000 pro which I know is perfectly fine for DOS but I'm not too sure about windows. I can move up to a TNT2/M64 but I think that may be too new for the vintage I'm going for. I'm thinking of finding a voodoo 1 or 2 to tack onto this just for variety.

I'm going to find a SB16 and/or an AWE 32/64 for the soundcard. Do I need to keep an older 16 card in there for games from the 92-96 years or am I ok with an AWE? Also, just for the hell of it, I'm going to look for a GUS and perhaps an scc-1 or sc-10/15 if I can find one cheap enough.

So, any opinions?

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That notebook sounds interesting!

I'm sure that soundchip has been covered on this forum. Do a search and see what you find.

With Soundcards, if your games use MIDI, then no, no need for a SB16 with Yamaha OPL. An AWE64 will be fine and give you a cleaner signal. A lot of games also have native support for the AWE synth.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like you'll be going for a DOS rig?
In that case, the easiest Socket 7 route to me would be to build it around a Socket 7 ATX board. Doesn't even need to be Super 7 for your needs.
ATX is easier then AT because of all the extra little things AT comes with.
Also these tend to have lots of ISA slots and are one of the more flexible generations concerning CPU.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a 233mhz system you'd be best suited with a TNT1 16mb (which the M64 is basically the same thing and is overkill) and voodoo1 4mb easily, part of 1996 is even a bit before V1 really hit the scene, as I believe that was 1997.

What games are the earliest and lastest games you want to use on the system? This will be more idea to what should be used.

As all opinions differ, if you want a good 98/99 end of the century build my build would be similar to:
Slot 1 440BX motherboard (not trying to crap on the S7 idea!)
P2 or early P3 Katmai cpu
TNT2 Ultra
Voodoo 2 SLI
SBLive! or Vortex 2 (w/daughter card)

I have a AWE64 Gold! in one machine and works great but can't play quake 2 sound while listening to MP3's! which kills it for me.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 6, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This machine would be primarily for early Win9x games that just won't run on XP or that run with less issues than on my Win98 rig.

The list of games I'm considering for this run from about 94-97 for the most part. Outlaws, Starfleet Academy, The Journeyman series. I do want to get into games of the era I missed, the Crusader series etc.

The machine would have full DOS support for the era via config file tweaking. I've already got the config.sys/autoexec.bat for DOS mode on the laptop with all drivers in place leaving me 624k free, so I'm good there. I can even cheat in places such as letting Windows load protected mode cd drivers and such if I really need to. When I add in the oakcdrom driver in real mode I'm down to about 597k free, which is still acceptable for the most part.

DOSBox will be handling my heavy DOS needs. This is just for a couple of games that are a pain in the ass, ie A Final Unity.

My Matrix is set at both extremes, it's just the middle I need to tweak. 99% of DOS games run in DosBox for me on my imac under XP, and modern games run XP native from the late 98 era up. The middle years, especially the early Win9x years are the games that give me headaches, surprisingly.

So, any suggestions on a good S7 board? I'm looking at either a p233mmx or K6 at 300. From what I've read here, that will give me the most flexibility for speed control via cache disabling. Video I'm set on my Stealth with a Voodoo 1, sound will be an AWE of some sort. The rest really is just whatever I can find.

I've been reading a lot of game magazine ultimate gaming rig articles from around 97/98. The chips above will give me a good buffer above the standard non-mmx p200s used in most of those systems.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're into 9x games, then maybe a Slot 1 or s370 would be easier then a s7. The main reason is that s7 is a little bit more work to get right. Going for a slot 1 or Socket 370 is just plain easy and should be cheap.
Also you'll get a working AGP slot, no "cacheable area" worries, larger harddrive support out of the box.
It's worth considering. Coppermine boards should be very easy to find these days and the coppermines themselves are dirt cheap.

Your only worry would be to find a board you like that also has ISA slots (if you want them).

The obvious drawback would of course be that these options are less flexible if you ever want to turn it into a pure DOS rig (harder to change CPU speed etc).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'm trying to mentally stay around where I was when I first played these games. Originally on a p75 and then on a p200mmx. I'm looking at erring on the side of the faster S7 chips just for that little extra oomph I never had as a kid.