VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just got my first POD 83MHz chip. I put it in a good Biostar UMC chipset-based 486 mobo. I ran speedsys, and the L2 cache appears to function OK. (Screenshots to follow.) Just for some extra fun, what overclocking options are available? I see from the POD manual that this thing runs at 33 MHz x 2.5 multi = 83 MHz CPU clock speed.

The most obvious overclock would be to increase the mobo's bus speed from 33 to 40 MHz. Would that yield a CPU clock speed of 100 MHz, or would I get no response from it? The thing that makes me think I won't get a response from this overclock, is that the POD chip has onboard voltage circuitry, and therefore you cannot pump any extra juice in to it, to assist in OC'ing.

Reply 1 of 49, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the 40mhz bus setting should get you to 100mhz, if your chip can handle it. And I understand that to be kind of a big 'if'... apparently a lot of them just won't do it.

Reply 3 of 49, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's interesting and I wonder which one would end up faster:

Overclocked AMD 486-133 or overclocked Intel POD 83?

Assuming the Pentium OD can be overclocked at all, I would say the POD in most cases. At 160mhz, the AMD chip is roughly equal to a P90. It probably wouldn't be hard to get another 7mhz out of a POD and maybe more. Even if you have one of those rare motherboard/chip combinations that will run stable at 180mhz, that probably still only puts at around 100-110mhz Pentium equivalent and a POD 83 should get there without much tweaking. It's only 17-27mhz more. A 40mhz bus with a 2.5x multiplier or a 3X multiplier with cooling would probably be doable assuming Intel didn't lock it. Even a 33mhz bus with 3x multiplier would get you to the maximum that the AMD chip can do.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-02-17, 16:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 49, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like I'm in luck, and the BIOS settings are completely maxed out, including a RAM read = 0 speed and 2-1-1-1 cache speed. Looking at the Speedsys result, even the CF result is cool. Cachechk(7) confirms that the machine is using L1 and L2 cache - pod.txt report attachment below.

At the moment, I'm using a crappy ISA VGA card. I'll remove it, and replace it with a PCI card, run 3DBench, then loosen up the cache timings a little, and run Quake. Then, I'll loosen up the BIOS timings a bit more, and run Wintune97 inside Windows 95...

POD.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    POD.TXT
    File size
    1.81 KiB
    Downloads
    220 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

At 160mhz, the AMD [5x86] is roughly equal to a P90.

As long as we're not talking 3D games. In that case it might be only a bit more than half as fast...

However, the 486 POD also has the added bottleneck of having around quarter the bus bandwidth on a 486 board (maybe less in practice). With its normal bandwidth and cache advantages gone, for non-FPU stuff it's around the same speed as a 486 at the same clock speed. But if you use the FPU it's still considerably faster because the FPU is less sensitive to memory performance. I saw these results when I was playing with a Voodoo3 in my PCI 486 board comparing the Cyrix, AMD and POD chips.

Reply 8 of 49, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is really interesting, and a bit disappointing too. I can't get Quake working, if I overclock the POD 83. I've loosened up the BIOS settings a lot, but that doesn't help. Quake runs for about a second, then quits back to the C:\ DOS command prompt. Initially, I thought that this POD 83 chip was going to overtake my OC'd AMD 5x86 chip, but it looks like running DOS Quake 1 is a good test to check for stability.

Message to overclocked POD 83 owners - please try running Quake 1.06 (free download shareware version), and see if you can get it to run at all, and if you can, what is your timedemo demo1 score? Thanks a lot.

Reply 9 of 49, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, this POD 83 chip has just jumped back in to pole position, for the 486 DOS Quake 1 test. With this POD chip not overclocked, and the mobo's BIOS settings completely maxed out, I get 18.3 FPS in Quake 1, and that's in Full screen! That's faster than an AMD 5x86 P75, insanely overclocked to 50 MHz bus speed, with a 4x multi, to equal 200 MHz CPU clock speed. For that configuration (admittedly using a different 486 mobo - and I'll redo this Quake test on this currently used mobo with that AMD config), I got 17.7 FPS.

Edit: I expect Quake runs better on this "Pentium hybrid" chip, because id software wrote this game for the Pentium. For example, I've just run 3DBench and PcpBench on the non-overclocked POD, and I get slower scores, compared to the OC'd AMD chip. 3DBench = 83.3, and PcpBench = 9.0. However, I expect that I could OC the POD chip, and it not fail and also get slightly better scores for these utils, and other games. But for Quake, it looks like the (non-OC'd) POD is the champ.

Reply 10 of 49, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to run the full battery of torture tests and see what the results are. This could look promising for owners of older 486 rigs needing to wring a little extra speed out of their systems for some of the more demanding games but who don't want to have to build a P54 system to run them.

Reply 11 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Message to overclocked POD 83 owners - please try running Quake 1.06 (free download shareware version), and see if you can get it to run at all, and if you can, what is your timedemo demo1 score? Thanks a lot.

It has been like 5 years since I played with the POD but I'm pretty sure I had Quake working at 100. I also had Jedi Knight going.

POD at 100 is tricky though. The motherboard may be a factor in its stability at that speed too.

Reply 12 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So in a nutshell for 386/486 coded applications, the AMD 133 was a good alternative, but once you run Pentium coded software, the POD leaps ahead?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's most obvious with 3D games because they use the FPU. It was rare for a game to use it until that point. The Pentium FPU is a giant leap ahead of any 486's.

This was also a huge oversight for the Pentium competitors like AMD K5 and Cyrix 6x86/MII. They have horrible FPUs that perform like a 486's and so can not touch a Pentium for 3D games.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-02-17, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres one significant drawback if you compare POD-83 overclocking and 5x86 overclocking: You can't up the voltage of the POD since it runs on 5v already.

Btw RG, hows the noise of the little Intel fan on that thing?

Reply 16 of 49, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't up the voltage of the POD since it runs on 5v already.

Externally, yes, though there is a way of modifying the onboard voltage regulator to change the voltage going to the chip itself. I'll be damned if I can remember the details of it, though, and I also recall it making little/no difference in the overclocking ability.

One other random tidbit about those things... IIRC they automatically switch to a 1X multiplier if you remove the built-in fan. (You'd want to attach an externally-powered fan in its place though.) That might provide some possibilities for testing a 66mhz bus speed.

Reply 17 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Externally, yes, though there is a way of modifying the onboard voltage regulator to change the voltage going to the chip itself. I'll be damned if I can remember the details of it, though, and I also recall it making little/no difference in the overclocking ability.

One other random tidbit about those things... IIRC they automatically switch to a 1X multiplier if you remove the built-in fan. (You'd want to attach an externally-powered fan in its place though.) That might provide some possibilities for testing a 66mhz bus speed.

I was considering this also, but I'm more interested in fooling the POD to think it's original fan is still attached so I can use another fan 😉

Reply 18 of 49, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The POD fan sounds OK. It's not too noisy. The POD was new and sealed, so it's working well. Also, regarding volts and 486s, I've got 5V going through the overclocked P75 chip, and no problems to report.

Reply 19 of 49, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Ummm...there are no 486 motherboards with a 66mhz bus setting. 😉