VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

8 VSA-100 GPU's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Quantum3D-AAlchemy-8 … =item2c5af82ee6

That's like Quad SLi Voodoo 5 5500's or dual V5 6000's.

Reply 4 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EscapeVelocity wrote:

I was looking to bid on the Quantum3D Raven Voodoo Banshee which was listed at .99, but I didnt lock in a bid, and the seller delisted it.

Probably to prevent a sniper getting it for 99 cents. That can work against you, though because you don't know if it will actually finish that low once the smoke clears at the end. You might get 20 snipes in the last few seconds boosting the price from 99 cents to $100.

Reply 7 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like he was running an envelope auction or something similar with the laptop as the prize and the losers are just griping that they didn't win or they were actually stupid enough to think they were buying a laptop for 99 cents. They had no right to leaves negs if that was the case because they got what they paid for, which was a chance to win. You'll notice the item number was the same for all those comments. Do you go back to the store to complain and demand a refund when your lottery tickets lose? Same thing.

Reply 8 of 14, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking to bid on the Quantum3D Raven Voodoo Banshee which was listed at .99, but I didnt lock in a bid, and the seller delisted it.

I locked in the first bid, but I suspect he received an outside offer and canceled the auction.

Back on topic, there was an 8164 that was listed earlier this month that I won for $99 (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … %253D&viewitem=). Keep in mind that these cards are useless without the power supplies that provide that special 2.7/9V @ 75a, or a lab PS or another form (DC converter). There's a V6k forum that has info on external power supplies for these cards

Reply 9 of 14, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gwb wrote:

[...] Keep in mind that these cards are useless without the power supplies that provide that special 2.7/9V @ 75a, or a lab PS or another form (DC converter). [...]

Sorry, but ... holy shit! That's f-ing 675 watts ... which is twice as much as my PC eats.

Reply 10 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:
gwb wrote:

[...] Keep in mind that these cards are useless without the power supplies that provide that special 2.7/9V @ 75a, or a lab PS or another form (DC converter). [...]

Sorry, but ... holy shit! That's f-ing 675 watts ... which is twice as much as my PC eats.

Yup. Power management wasn't as big a priority back then as it is now. The V5 6000 required an external power supply to operate, too. I'm not sure what the wattage rating was, but it had to be pretty high.

Reply 11 of 14, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should just be ~202w (75ax2.7v). The PSUs designed for the units were rated at 275w max.

I've attached a pic of my card just so you can get an idea of its size.
img2943y.th.jpg
Date code
img2944c.th.jpg

The following link describes how to build an external PSU for it http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/viewtopic.php?t=154

Reply 12 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow that is interesting... how does it go in games? Can you post some benchmarks?

All I've ever heard about this card is here
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_aalchemy.htm

and they seem to say that it isn't much faster for games, unless you enable AA

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 14, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am still waiting for the parts to come to build my PSU, but when it is completed I will post results here. I only expect it to be as fast a Voodoo 12MB SLI'd though as Gary states in his website