Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oh nice! […]
Show full quote

Oh nice!

Looks like the US site goes back further!

This is the "master page" and the first articles are indeed from 1997:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Com...,4/38.html

Ha! Ha! I just read most of that Tomshardware stuff from Page 38 97 up until about Radeon 9500 the other day.

DonutKing wrote:

Anandtech.com also has an archive of articles back to 1997 - go to the bottom of the page and you can go back to the earliest page. They do this for their other sections like CPU's, hard disks and motherboards too 😀

Been there this last week too. Excepting I was searching within their site. Super7 is a good search term.

Last edited by EscapeVelocity on 2011-02-22, 05:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 22 of 27, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would really be something was 1992 to 1996 reviews... Or magazines scans...

Yes, indeed. I chose the Trident (I think it was a 944*) based on reviews and pricing....a budget choice.

Computer Shopper
PC Magazine
PC World

are 3 good ones from the US. We also had/have UK mag publications over here, like PC Pro. I always liked PC World better than PC Magazine. PC Magazine was often thicker but had many more adds. PC World had better format and articles, IMO. Computer Shopper was a BEAST, being double the size of a magazine and 10 times as thick....with tons of adds from small shops and large. I bought my first computer out of it.

An interesting publication that I remember having a few purhcased off the rack issues is CD-Rom Today. There are a couple of demo discs on eBay and one issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM_Today

Ill check at the library, Im sure some of these are kept on microfilm.

Reply 24 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A now lost site with info was the Geocities thingy. It was all HTML user sites, but many of them had interesting info on stuff from the way old internet days. It also gave a very nice idea of what went on in the users minds in those days.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was an eCrater storefront called Compusave, doing a liquidation sale. Their stock is pretty well picked-over now, though... there's not really anything worthwhile left there.