Oldbie

Are these somehow incompatible?
I put my k6/3 machine back together:

ga5ax with k6/3 450
v2sli
g200 agp
gus ace, ews64xl, db50xg
win 98 first ed

used to run fine but mainly i would have used a gf2 ti or s3 of some sort. With this matrox - glquake crashes the system [black screen, monitor goes into standby] and avp only allows selection of matrox modes.

tried latest v2 ref drivers, fast voodoo2 4.6, wickedgl, 3dfxgl. dx7.0a, and dx8.1. no difference. it's like the matrox causes the v2's to be ignored.

I don't care if matrox may be faster, that does not interest me [plenty other pcs for speed], i wanted to use the v2s specifically for old times sake.

diablo2 vidtest crashes too now, so i will reinstall directx, but previously [yesterday] it detected g200 and v2s and suggested matrox which i thought was weird too - expected it to suggest glide. no matter, this machine is too slow for playing d2 anyway.

anything i should be checking to solve this v2 problem?

like i said, board used to run this setup fine [though maybe not with g200, and thats the card i want to use right now].

Reply 2 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that - saw it the other day. Changing the memory ranges of the voodoo2's crashes if I try to raise the range above where the matrox szeems to be. If I lower the ranges, that seems to work in that it doesn't crash the actual process of changing the memory range. But it doesn't help with the original symptoms.

Another symptom is that the display control panel either won't open at all, or sometimes opens and then crashes. That seems to be something related to fastvoodoo2 as the old creative blaster drivers seem to work ok.

Frustrating as some of this worked ok the other day, except for avp and glquake misbehaving.

Meh, I'll take the V2's out as using the matrox is more important right now.

Reply 3 of 6, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had that G200+Voodoo2 combo for years without any problem other than some issues inherent to the Matrox card itself (too slow in multitexturing, and graphic glitches if using a memory upgrade at 90 MHz of core clock speed). But that was on Intel 440LX and Windows 98 SE. By the way, given that you have tried many Voodoo2 drivers with no luck, how about trying other G200 drivers?

Reply 4 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put my v2 sli cards back in my g200 rig recently, installed the creative drivers and all works fine. Can play avp on the voodoos at 1024x768 [well, can select the res anyway], although the g200 can go higher. I can't think what I did really apart from uninstall and physically remove the cards, but whatever, they now work.

Finding it kind-of odd that AvP will run at 1024 on the voodoos but glquake won't run above 640 on either matrox or voodoos. The v2sli ran glquake at 1024 in my p4 rig previously [as did the agp card i was using]. The game loads the 3dfx driver then crashes to the desktop. No big deal, just curious what would cause this. Tried all sorts of minigl's but like I said, the g200 won't do it either. I assume the g200 would get used if I remove all glide/opengl32 dll's from the quake directory. Does glquake simply decide the box is too slow so it doesn't bother?

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-10-05, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GLQuake is kind of a weirdo in these situations. I too have had problems running it at 1024x768 on Voodoo 2 SLI, while other times it just works.
I'd suggest getting the latest version and removing opengl32 and trying again. Or just get an old version of DarkPlaces engine and kiss GLQuake goodbye!

Reply 6 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some progress here. I took the quake directory on the machine that would run at 1024, and copied that to my voodoo5 box [which also only would run at 640]. Bingo, runs at 1024. Looks better at 640 😜.

But copying that version also to my k6/3 + g200 + v2sli box, that machine will now run it at 800 and 1024, seemingly on either the matrox or v2 cards [after putting a minigl file in, instead of the v5 wickedgl file].

Weird indeed, there must be something messed up in the original quake directory on the k6 and v5 boxes, evidently more than just the opengl32 file.