VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

Thanks for bringing this issue to a closure. I always wondered what the reason was, but now we know.

Thanks

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 25, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

...but now we know.

Now we know what?

I obtained a PAS16 variant last year with the aforementioned problem (fast "PAS" PCM playback, with the SB portion being unaffected). In systems with -5V, and regardless of the CPU (386 - Pentium), the problem persisted. Having discussed the issue with the designer of the particular card, it was suggested that it might be a crystal problem, but I haven't yet addressed it further.

In addition, every PAS card I've seen is capable of generating -5V onboard. What, exactly, was the symptom you experienced, sprcorreia?

Reply 22 of 25, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
Now we know what? […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

...but now we know.

Now we know what?

I obtained a PAS16 variant last year with the aforementioned problem (fast "PAS" PCM playback, with the SB portion being unaffected). In systems with -5V, and regardless of the CPU (386 - Pentium), the problem persisted. Having discussed the issue with the designer of the particular card, it was suggested that it might be a crystal problem, but I haven't yet addressed it further.

In addition, every PAS card I've seen is capable of generating -5V onboard. What, exactly, was the symptom you experienced, sprcorreia?

I tried with the following programs:

One Must Fall - very high pitch music (or fast), either way it sounded very wrong
Track Blaster Pro - .mod playing way to fast
play utility - .wav playing way to fast

After putting the PSU with -5V rail, every test was ok.

My card is IXW-PAS16NS

Reply 23 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I still have my Pentium machine. So if I get my hands on an ATX PSU with -5V I'll be sure to test it again...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 25, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looked into this a bit further, and sprcorreia is absolutely correct. Despite generating -5v onboard for the analog section of the card, most* PAS16/Studio variants draw -5v directly from the bus to provide negative voltage for a single, itsy-bitsy op-amp in the digital section... that just happens to be part of the external timing circuit for the 16-bit CODEC. Whoops!

So, while the problem with my particular card is still something else, most of you guys facing the issue described ought to be able to resolve it just as sprcorreia did.

(* - Does not apply to the 650-0097-xx, "Pro Audio Studio 16XL" cards.)