VOGONS

First post, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This seems to be compiled about 1995ish. I found the rest of the list inofrmative as well. S3 seems to be the way to go. Tseng for older 386 systems. But I was wondering about this ARK 2000 chip.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/video-faq/60-Popu … o-Chipsets.html

ARK 1000PV, 2000PV

A relative newcomer to the video arena, the ARK2000 based cards are the fastest DOS/VGA performers available. They are inexpensive, 32 (1000) & 64 bit (2000) processors that provide some acceleration capabilities, but are only available in DRAM versions. Of course, for any VGA application, VRAM would provide no benefit over DRAM anyway. (i.e. Hercules Stingray 64/Video, Actix Picasso 64)

Reply 1 of 2, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this informative...

If you go the Tseng route, I would avoid W32 and go for either W32i or even W32p. To the best of my knowledge, W32 does not to m […]
Show full quote

If you go the Tseng route, I would avoid W32 and go for either W32i or even W32p. To the best of my knowledge, W32 does not to memory interleaving when 2mb is installed, and is therefore slower. Also, I believe W32 was buggier when running accelerated graphics in windows.

I normally use Grand Theft Auto in 320x200 and 640x480, as well as Magic Carpet 2 to test out the speed of my graphics adapters in DOS. I don't know how good these games represent overall performance, but I have found ET4000W32p to be quite a bit faster than any of the other cards I tested.

In theory ARK1000 should be slightly faster than Tseng when 0WS is enabled, but I have not been able to get it working in that configuration on my current motherboard. I tried 3 different ARK1000 cards with the same result. I found in the 1WS setting it performed similarly to my other cards.

I do not recall that there was a major difference in speed between S3 764, S3 968, Mach64 VRAM and Mach64 DRAM in DOS. Though it's been a while, and maybe I should run some more benchmarks.

I have not yet had much of a chance to try cirrus logic based VLB cards. I have heard that 5429, 5434/36 are all fairly averager performers.

The slowest card I have tested so far is probably the Trident 9440.

While I haven't found S3 to be the absolute fastest for VLB cards, it is said that they have better compatibility. That might be worth something to you.

I had the slowest card around in my first computer....🤣!

I guess if you are going with a Socket7 cpu and lots of RAM, you really are looking for compatibility with performance a second concern. Thus the popularity of the chipset comes into play.

My old Trident 9440 really stunk, but it was imminently compatable. 🤣!

Reply 2 of 2, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a ARK2000MT and is a pretty fast 2D performer, but it is from 1997. Been a couple years since I had tested it and I don't know how compatible it is with earlier games.