VOGONS

First post, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi:

I recently acquired an old ASUS TUSL2-C (PIII-Tualatin) motherboard but can't get it to POST - I've already pretty much everything that most PC experts would do (including clearing the CMOS), and even removed the memory. Normally I'm supposed to get an error from the case buzzer if I remove the memory, but unfortunately that doesn't happen. So is the motherboard dead?

I don't know, but I also tried an older ASUS P2B (PII) board and it didn't work either (tried the same procedure), so I had to rule out that there may be an issue with my power supply. I noticed that the power supply that I'm using (430 watt, ATX 2.2 spec) DOES NOT have the -5V wire (despite the fact that the power supply label claims to have a -5V rail capable of supplying 0.3A).

So my question - would this be hindering my board(s) from booting? As far as I recall, the -5V rail was used for ISA systems - make sense for my P2B board, but my TUSL2 doesn't have any ISA slots. I don't have any older power supplies (that contain the -5V wire) at my disposal so I need some answers before shelling out some more $.

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are they ATX? There shouldn't be such a requirement...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes both boards (and the power supply) are ATX, and both boards use the 20-pin connector.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 3 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't have thought a Tualatin board of that vintage would require the -5V, but I downloaded the manual and there is indeed a -5V connector on the ATX plug.

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/download/m … 0/tusl2_c_e.pdf

look on page 40

also what are the current ratings for the 3.3V and 5V rails on your PSU? Is it possible that it just doesn't put out enough power on those rails? Modern machines take most of their power from the +12V rail, whereas an older one like a P3 uses more from 3.3V and 5V so I wonder if your motherboard is just trying to use more power on the lower voltage rails than is available...

Reply 4 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to the power supply label:

+3.3V: 28A
+5V: 40A
+12V: 17A
-5V: 0.3A (there may still be a -5V rail in the actual power supply, but the wire connecting to it is non-existent)
-12V: 0.8A
+5V Standby: 2.0A

Seems like it should be plenty for a PIII, no? On the P2B board I'm using a Celeron 400.
Both boards refuse to POST even with the most minimal configuration (i.e. if no graphics card is plugged in, there should be a "video error beep" but that doesn't happen either). If I plug in my hard drive, the HDD LED (on the case panel) remains lit.

Reply 5 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well yeah I would think those current ratings are fine.

Have you got a different power supply to try? Not necessarily with the -5V, just any pwer supply to rule out the one you are using as an issue.
If that doesn't work I guess that you might have to track down and older one with the -5V connected, otherwise maybe both your boards are just DOA. 😒

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PSU defective?
And I don't think the TUSL2-C needs -5 volts, iirc that was an ISA thing, which the board doesn't have anyway.

And could you post a pic of the unit (so it displays it's stats) or write it's FULL stats on here? Including brand name and PSU model number

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turns out the TUSL2 board is a dud.
I managed to get my P2B to boot on the same power supply, just swapping out the RAM stick and changing the FSB jumper to 66 MHz.

Don't really trust buying old hardware on ebay anymore, ugh

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Turns out the TUSL2 board is a dud.
I managed to get my P2B to boot on the same power supply, just swapping out the RAM stick and changing the FSB jumper to 66 MHz.

Don't really trust buying old hardware on ebay anymore, ugh

Buying 2nd hand is ALWAYS a gamble. You can minimize the risks (like looking for scratches, bulging caps, his feedbacks etc) but can't make the risks 0.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

-5v is only used by some particularly old ISA cards. It is kinda rare.

True that. I agree with having a PSU which has -5v is handy, but I wouldn't consider them more valuable then a later -5vless PSU. Still, if the price is low enough and the rest identical, I'd prefer one of the -5v ones (though I "think" my stock is high enough for me top not have to bother buying any more at this time).

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could never get either of my TUSL2-C boards to power up using antec power supplies, but they worked fine with the other branded ones I have.

Maybe try a different psu?

Reply 12 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tannerstevo wrote:

I could never get either of my TUSL2-C boards to power up using antec power supplies, but they worked fine with the other branded ones I have.

Maybe try a different psu?

Interesting, I'll try that once I have some more time this week. But I'd figure if any PSU can generate the required voltage and current levels it should work fine.

True that. I agree with having a PSU which has -5v is handy, but I wouldn't consider them more valuable then a later -5vless PSU. Still, if the price is low enough and the rest identical, I'd prefer one of the -5v ones (though I "think" my stock is high enough for me top not have to bother buying any more at this time).

You can always build a regulator circuit using a linear regulator IC (the LM337 is a good negative voltage regulator) and a few spare capacitors and resistors to generate the required voltage. Just feed an extra -12V wire from the power supply into the input and it should work. But yes if you have a ton of old ISA cards a power supply with -5V would come in handy.

Reply 13 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, tried it with a different PSU (this time I managed to find one of my older ones that has a -5V lead) and still not working. Bah looks like I'll have to hunt down the vendor for a refund.

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ