Two SB16s are better than one?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SB 16 + AWE64 GOLD FTW

The AWE64 GOLD can have pretty much all the resources disabled, but the one you need...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting point that SquallStrife mentioned, about both cards trying to access port 388 for the OPL3. If the AWE64 can have this resource disabled, it would seem like a good choice for one of the two cards. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the ESS AudioDrive's "init" program can disable this 388 port resource.

Reply 22 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE64 can even change 388 to something else!

Usually 388 isn't an issue, as some of us have found out, both cards will play the FM music. Shared IRQs and DMAs are more of a concern.

But yea, FM/388 can be disabled on the AWE64 GOLD!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. If that's the case, then shared IRQs and DMAs can be avoided, by experimenting with different models of SB and clones. BTW, some old games only route their FM to 388. I'm sure you know that! 😉 😀

Reply 25 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Question... is it possible on the ESS cards to disable the onboard wavetable header, or at least change its volume using a software mixer?

Reason is that I'm trying to figure out how to connect an SC55 and XR385 wavetable daughterboard to my machine. If I connect them both to the same sound card they both play at once. I can always turn off the SC55 but can't do the same for the internal wavetable DB.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 27 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found these attached ESS DOS utils useful. Notice there's an "older" sub folder, for older ESS cards. You can run a DOS util called essvol.exe, and I think you can select the volume level for the DB header. Also, it may be possible to disable the DB header using another util included in this zip file, but I can't remember. Either way, you should be OK with either essvol.exe or esscfg.exe

Attachments

• Filename
    ESSISA.zip
    File size
    105.28 KiB
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dug through my box-o-bits and found an ESS AudioDrive 1869F.
Unfortunately the wavetable header is sort of in the middle of the card, and the card is about an inch shorter than my CT2800.
So basically the daughterboard just hangs there (theres nowhere for its plastic supports to plug into) and it extends below and past the end of the card. It actually extends so far down that the sound card won't fit all the way in the ISA slot.

wXvUj.jpg

I suspect that this connector was only added as an afterthought. Were there any daughterboards that were small enough to fit cards like this?

Reply 31 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
I dug through my box-o-bits and found an ESS AudioDrive 1869F. Unfortunately the wavetable header is sort of in the middle of th […]
Show full quote

I dug through my box-o-bits and found an ESS AudioDrive 1869F.
Unfortunately the wavetable header is sort of in the middle of the card, and the card is about an inch shorter than my CT2800.
So basically the daughterboard just hangs there (theres nowhere for its plastic supports to plug into) and it extends below and past the end of the card. It actually extends so far down that the sound card won't fit all the way in the ISA slot.

wXvUj.jpg

I suspect that this connector was only added as an afterthought. Were there any daughterboards that were small enough to fit cards like this?

I've read about this problem before.

Would using a ribbon cable in between the soundcard and the daughterboard be possible?
It would be messy, but atleast you could plug the construct into a board that way 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 33, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I have an ESS card... It's older though, ES688. Would that be worth trying out? It wouldn't be for digital or OPL, just the daughterboard.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 33 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I just bought an Acer Magic S20 ISA card, which has a Crystal CS4231A chipset, a wavetable connector and a YMF262 OPL chip. So we'll see how that goes 😀