VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently, I bought a 486 POD83 Pentium overdrive CPU from Vogons user Ratfink. In the box was this very useful tool. It's 70mm long, and you can use it to lift up CPUs from their sockets. For the last 2.5 years I've been doing this with my finger nails, but not any longer!

Granted, some CPUs can be easily removed from their sockets and therefore don't require a tool, but sometimes the CPU pins are a little bent, and consequently the CPU can become a bit stuck in its socket. This tool excels when you are not dealing with Zif sockets, such as those found on mobos before the 486. Before acquiring this tool, I found removing 386 CPUs from their sockets to be quite awkward.

PICT2142.JPG

Reply 2 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah these came with the boxed 486 and Pentium Overdrive processors.

In the absence of the proper tool, I've just been using an L-bracket expansion card slot cover. Try to stick the short end between the CPU and the socket and gently wiggle it side to side, repeat for opposite sides of the CPU until you can gently pry it out.
I did once attempt to use a bottle opener with limited success 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I noticed those HIF sockets are a pain to remove CPU's from without scratching the CPU.
Perhaps using the L-bracket is a better idea then using a flatbed screwdriver 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 7, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, the good old "CPU lice rake" 🤣! Yep, I have a similar one that I've had for decades... quite handy way back when, working on customers' PCs doing upgrades and such 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 5 of 7, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember this tool
I once knew someone that have a compaq presario... we both went to the swap meet one time and he picked up a pentium overdrive kit cheap... it came with it! good stuff!

I also have the "pick" for removing chips from QFP sockets... it came with my firmware upgrade "kit" for my USR sportster modem... I used it to move my CSP chip from my CT2239 to my brand new CT1779 😁

Reply 6 of 7, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

In the absence of the proper tool, I've just been using an L-bracket expansion card slot cover. Try to stick the short end between the CPU and the socket and gently wiggle it side to side, repeat for opposite sides of the CPU until you can gently pry it out.

Would you explain more? I tried it but no luck...

Reply 7 of 7, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit better than a screwdriver, or expansion slot cover but still far from being ideal, as it applies uneven force to the chips...

There are much better tools for removing PGA package components - most of them similar to this extractor: https://www.jacarem.co.uk/Connectors/test-and … multi-grid-size

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg