VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Antinomy wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/498- … ail-badaxe.html - I was almost right. The very first was Intel Thor - 430FX chipset

Great pics and history, but what a seriously awful article. The person who wrote those texts didn't have a clue what he was looking at and clearly didn't get anyone who did to fact-check the texts before posting them.

Claiming a motherboard with floppy, IDE, serial and parallel onboard next to a photo clearly showing those that "the only I/O integrated on Batman is a couple of PS/2 ports." is laughable. He also makes fun of Gateway's i430NX board being named "Neptune" without being aware of what the codename of the i430NX chipset was in the first place. Painful celebration of ignorance 😒

Reply 22 of 27, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Gateway 2000 G6-200 from 1996 w/ a Pentium Pro that is an ATX.
It is so old, the only things on the ATX faceplate are the two ps/2 ports

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 23 of 27, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an old Dell Optiplex 486 machine from 1994 that has an ATX power connector on the motherboard. The board itself is LPX, but I believe it's the oldest machine I own with an ATX power supply.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 24 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite a few Pentium pro boards I have are ATX. They had the 1.0 layout that's in the first PDF on wikipedia. I don't recall any specific atx socket 5 board. I do recall them being prolific on socket 7 and newer. At face value, looking back in time, it seemed people really liked the ATX spec and latched onto it. Or Intel strong armed the industry to obey the monolith.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
Antinomy wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/498- … ail-badaxe.html - I was almost right. The very first was Intel Thor - 430FX chipset

Great pics and history, but what a seriously awful article. The person who wrote those texts didn't have a clue what he was looking at and clearly didn't get anyone who did to fact-check the texts before posting them.

Claiming a motherboard with floppy, IDE, serial and parallel onboard next to a photo clearly showing those that "the only I/O integrated on Batman is a couple of PS/2 ports." is laughable. He also makes fun of Gateway's i430NX board being named "Neptune" without being aware of what the codename of the i430NX chipset was in the first place. Painful celebration of ignorance 😒

The writer was referring to the external i/o, as this is the most significant change going from AT to ATX when looking at a PC from the outside. The next page also mentions this

You still only find PS/2 on the back.

which tells me he was referring to only the external i/o.

What I find odd is that on that same page, the article mentions the CPU having only 75MHz and 90MHz settings (50MHz and 60MHz FSB), even though its immediate predecessor was capable of 60MHz and 66MHz FSB.

I do find this one a bit odd

Gateway came out with an OEM version of Plato called Neptune, which just makes you wonder if someone in the company erroneously thought the name was Pluto and wanted to be one planet closer to Earth.

as it didn't make me wonder as I actually know who Plato was (no I didn't know him personally 🤣).

Overall I like the article.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/66808120/the-chat-its-dead-jim.jpg […]
Show full quote

the-chat-its-dead-jim.jpg

Nah, it's timeless 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!