VOGONS

First post, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got my epic Pentium box here, 512MB RAM, 300Mhz Pentium, etc.. I'm about to get a new monitor that'll be 1920x1080, and I'm hoping that an older AGP card can push that under Win9x. I don't really want to stick my GeForce 6200 AGP in there, because it's about the same power as the rest of the system - it's out of place, but I know that card could do 1080p. I'm currently thinking that this GeForce Ti 4200 should be able to pull it off - it's specced for 1600x1200, and 1920x1080 is somewhere in that neighborhood total-pixel-wise (1.92mpixels vs 2.08mpixels), so it sounds reasonable to me..

Anywho I'd like to have a card with good 2D performance and good DOS performance, so the oldest would be the best, but I don't want to sacrifice native resolution as I'd like to share my new monitor between my modern box and this box.

Thoughts? I've got a wide array of cards available.

If you guys think it wiser, I could also switch this box to my Athlon setup at 600Mhz, but the Pentium is more fitting to the majority of games I'd want to run.

Edit: I'm considering a Matrox G200 card at the moment.

Last edited by Yushatak on 2011-03-18, 22:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running a ti4200 on my win98 machine and I haven't found any games that don't run great in that resolution (1920X1080). There are some exceptions, for example turning on high levels of AA or filtering can slow it down to be unplayable. I think that probably has more to do with the amount of ram on the board than the speed of the chip itself.

I think the 300Mhz pentium is more likely to be your limiting factor than the ti4200 though I pair mine with a 1Ghz chip.

I was recently playing through the original No One Lives Forever and found it best to leave the AA/AF off, but other than that I think it runs with everything maxed.

Reply 2 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On many cards you can set custom resolutions in the driver INFs, so there's a good chance you can get 1920x1080 (and other widescreen resolutions) even on cards that don't officially support it. The biggest requirement is going to be that the card has 8MB or better framebuffer memory

Reply 3 of 13, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not really concerned about games running at that resolution, though that would be nice. Mostly for 3D I'll use the Voodoo 2 in that box. Speaking of the Voodoo 2, mine has 8MB iirc - does that mean that it should be capable of 1080p? I thought that it maxed out at 1024x768 unless SLI'd.

A G200 Matrox card is around the same performance as a Voodoo 2 for D3D, and there's an OEM OC'd model called the G250 which I'd choose. They come with 8MB by default, and 16MB if you stick a SODIMM in a socket they have. Matrox cards are reputed to have good DOS support and unparallelled 2D quality (at the time, anyway), so it sounds like a good choice without blowing the system out of the water with overkill.

What the heck is the point of this "Flat Panel" daughtercard, though.. it sounds like it's for some old digital video standard.. (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=ma … 0da709d28d6ead8)

Reply 4 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

single voodoo2-12MB = 800x600 max resolution
SLI voodoo2-12MB = 1024x768 max resolution

I have no idea if a 8MB voodoo2 does 800x600

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disappointing that there's not a way to get Glide support at high resolutions without replacing your whole video system with one of those monster 3dfx cards then, like the 5000 series.

If 3dfx had continued to make cards that chained with the primary graphics, I could probably buy some Voodoo 5 card that I could chain to my PCIe card in my modern box - that would be nice. 😁 I could of course do that with the V2, but I'm better off with a glide wrapper on a modern box vs. a V2..

Anyway I ordered the G250 and the 8MB RAM upgrade, so I'll soon have an overclocked 16MB G200 solution in this box - I think that it's appropriate, since the CPU series in the machine was released in 1997, and the G200 series was released in 1998.

Reply 6 of 13, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea if a 8MB voodoo2 does 800x600

Both V2-8 MB and V2-12 MB are capable to run games in 800x600 because they contain the same amount of frame buffer memory (4MB).

Reply 7 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you need 8mb RAM for 1080p in 2D. A 8mb G200 can do 1920x1200. The RAMDAC needs to be somewhat decent too. Not sure about the requirements there.

BTW I am fairly certain that adding 8mb to a G200 causes it to underclock due to SODIMM electricals.

Powerstrip will be be needed to get 9x to have a 1920x1080 option.

As usual I would reccommend a Voodoo3 - 5. 😀 2D should match the Matrox card and everything else is better.

Reply 8 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

A single Creative 3D Blaster V2 can do 1024x768 IIRC

Of course, V2 is irrelevant when you're looking for hi-res. For starters, Voodoo Banshee can reach 1600x1200x16 IIRC (wow IIRc a lot 🤣)
but 1920x1080 specifically? I'm not sure.

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo2 is 800x600 unless 1)SLI 2) there are some of those non zbuffering games that squeak by with less. Jedi Knight maybe? That will run 8x6 on a 4mb Voodoo1.

Reply 10 of 13, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't afford a Voodoo 5 - could afford the G200. I'm rather upset to hear that it will underclock itself if I add the SODIMM, as that was an additional $10 spent to get it. I'll be in a position to test whether it does or not, however, since I've ordered both.. Also, since I'm getting a G250 (pre-OC'd G200) it might have different effects, i.e., it may clock down to ordinary G200 speed (96Mhz->82Mhz [iirc clock speeds]) when the SODIMM is added, and that would probably be fine.

Presuming I am in a better situation in the future and can get a Voodoo 5, and I pick up a PCI version (obviously no AGP in my modern box), how would it work as far as coexisting with the PCIe card? I assume it would allow me to determine which is primary (the PCIe) and then all glide things would be routed to the Voodoo 5. When not operating in Glide mode, it would act as a second desktop (since it's just an ordinary video card in that case). Assumptions correct? In that case it would either require using two inputs on the same monitor, a KVM, or some other clunky solution. Would the Voodoo 5 kick on if it weren't set up to act as a second desktop or anything, but you call the Glide API? If so, perhaps some kind of prioritizing switchbox could be devised.

By the way, my Voodoo 2 is a Creative 3D Monster II 8MB.

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well a Voodoo3 is better than G200 too. Even a Banshee is somewhat faster. V3 isn't too expensive. You really could just run a Voodoo 3 and dump the Voodoo2 and its blur inducing passthrough which is likely to noticeably affect a high Res like 1080p.

G200 has various 3D quirks that make it not really a good game choice. I used both G200 and G400 during their heydays and while they are good Windows accelerators their other aspects are overrated. DOS support even.

Reply 12 of 13, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm inclined to think the G400 was one of the best cards of it's time. Really sharp 2D, plus it plays everything from that era pretty well? I'll admit I have a soft spot for Matrox cards though. 😊

Reply 13 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

G400 is OK but its OpenGL was awful during its lifetime and it has the usual D3D problems with Unreal games so again this is why Voodoo is preferable (glide). Seriously only a Voodoo can be relied on to run everything perfectly because they had the most developer attention. Even D3D games are sometimes basically designed for Voodoo, such as Shadows of the Empire.

And Matrox 2D is overrated. By 97 everybody was on pretty even terms with performance and clarity. Except the occasional blurry NV card anyway.

Btw, I am a former Matrox fanboy. 😉 Experience with the alternatives has seriously reduced my interest in their hardware. There's just little reason to bother with it.