VOGONS

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So apparently you all managed to convince me to grab it from uni. No one said anything but I'm sure I might have got some funny looks. My arms are going to be soooo sore tomorrow.

So I opened it up to have a look and discovered no HDD or RAM the RAM being the problem I think. I have 2x 256K SIMMs that are the right size but nothing displayed or beeped with them in slots A and B or without them.
The PSU works (and I was thinking it was plain AT apparently not) the switch is a little dodgy only works when in the right spot and a bit dusty but thats hardly surprising.

There is an 8bit modem. It says its a Practical Modem 1200.

I'm sortof regretting grabbing it now I probably should have had a good look inside before I grabbed it I think oh well 🙁

One of the sockets next to the DALLAS time thingo its square and looks a bit damaged some of the plastic is missing.

So now I don't know what I should do with it, if someone is in my area they can have it. I'm definitely sure no one at ANU wants it back.

Reply 3 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those IBM's may need somekind of special memory? I remember once seeing 30p memory modules which had these WEIRD looking chips on them, looked like 6 aluminium little boxes instead of regular memory chips

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

like this?

Exactly like that!
Why are they so weird anyway?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 16, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea what's special about them, they're just one of many parts I've accumulated over the years. Apart from the odd appearance I thought they were just standard 512KB SIMMs until I saw your post above.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

Is the keyboard original
the IBM keyboards are indeed the keyboards of the gods and thats official

I actually hated mine... it was TOO noisy 😁 😁 😁

IIRC it looked like this and sounded like a typewritter

99qhpl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 16, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using parity SIMMs? I had a motherboard that required parity memory, and if you put non-parity SIMMs in there it wouldn't boot, beep or do anything.

Unless it really does require those funny looking ones, but I've only got 1MB of them (2 sticks).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PS/2 30 requires proprietary IBM SIMMs... they have a different pinout than regular 30-pin SIMMS. They don't have to be the metal can type ones, though, any of SIMM with the right pinout should work. FWIW, any IBM-marked SIMM on eBay is likely to be the correct type.

Reply 12 of 16, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
I actually hated mine... it was TOO noisy :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: […]
Show full quote
Davros wrote:

Is the keyboard original
the IBM keyboards are indeed the keyboards of the gods and thats official

I actually hated mine... it was TOO noisy 😁 😁 😁

IIRC it looked like this and sounded like a typewritter

99qhpl.jpg

Those "original" Clicky Keyboards are quite expensive. The sound might feel irritating, but for some persons it's nice to have that. Those kind of keyboards produce key clack sounds that we usually hear in films 😀

OOT: I had one of these -- not the original though, but a modified combo AT/XT keyboard -- but with AT slot and of course, I couldn't use it on my Intel Core PC 🙁

Reply 13 of 16, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They are just random SIMMs I had, I guess I can go look on ebay for some IBM SIMMs. I can't see a need for a huge amount of memory so surely it shouldn't be too expensive right?

Cant you just get an adapter from AT to PS/2 that's what I do. Won't it be depressing when one day there will be no PS/2 ports and I'll be forced to use USB

Reply 15 of 16, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awergh wrote:

Cant you just get an adapter from AT to PS/2 that's what I do.

I have a feeling the old XT keyboards, which are also buckle-spring I think [they clack nicely anyway] and are really heavy and have less buttons need a special adapter to use on later pc's. Not sure if some early model m's do too.

Reply 16 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe that's called haptic feedback. They use it on phones too for touchscreen/button clicks to make them more tangible and pleasing.

Those old IBM keyboards are really loud. I don't know if you could use one at night without waking people up in other rooms 🤣