VOGONS

First post, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well folks, I've decided to only maintain two retro-systems. The first is a slot-1 mobo abit bx6-r2 with a 1.4Ghz p3/celeron, 1gb ram, gf4600, sb awe64, 3com lan, extra usb2 ports, 1394 card, 3 120gb hd, 3.5, dvd and cd rom drives, 550 watt supply. That's the first system.

The second one is my old Gateway2000 80486 DX-2/50 with 16MB ram, 220meg hard disk, sb16+waveblaster+asp chip, Cirrus logic 5422 1MB graphics, 3.5 and 5.25 drive, extra parallel port card, 2 serial ports, 15 inch crt monitor, extra ram expansion card, weitek 4167 co-processor, 124key anykey keyboard, ch products joystick. creative labs 1x cd rom drive interfaced through sb16. And that's the second system.

The hardware configuration is pretty stable on those two retro-systems and I don't have upgrade plans for them.

I have a bunch of parts from previous upgrades and builds and stuff like that. Parts that have functioned quite well and have been upgraded simply for performance reasons, or disassembled and pillaged from other systems. Some was even gotten from other people in trade.

So, my question is how (and what) is the best way to get rid of a lot of other vintage hardware? I'd say most of the stuff is common more or less, and there may only be a few "rare" pieces if anything in the pile. Ebay? Craigs? right here on vogons? Or best dump it all in the trash??

Like I say, I'm pretty happy with my current retro PC line-up, and what I have can pretty much handle just about everything software wise. So I present to you the list.

I have some new in box usr modems, internal and external, v.everything
Some hayes smartmodems, new and loose.
a couple of diamond supra internal isa modems - 56.6 v.90
a box of soundcards, a few no-namers, 2 or 3 wave blaster daughtercards, an awe32 or two, some original first release soundblasters, some sb16's.
a vs440fx mobo or two, 1 with 4megs (or more) fpm ram
2 al440lx intel slot-1 mobos
a diamond micronics c400 mobo with k6-2 350 processor and ram 128mb
a few older wd hard disks 220-350mb, maybe 1.2 gb also
about 30 pounds of misc hardware like case fittings, wires, connectors, screws, stuff like that.
a few pentium-pro processors in all the varied speed grades, about 10.
some misc older pentium 90 or less chips,
a few 386 and 486 chips, maybe 8 total.
A handful of ram modules, all older, I don't recall the speeds or capacity
Some joysticks and a few isa networking cards, also some slot-1 cpus like p2-266 / p2-350 / p3-450 / a blowed-up p3-850 + its bad mobo,
another working abit bx6-r2
a 286 chip or two, 8087, 80287.
snappy digitizer (may decide to keep it)
zip drive (may decide to keep it too)
2 or 3 other no-name (or intel/soyo) pentium-pro mobos
a few obscure cards I have no idea about - about 15 of them.
soundcard cables, ac power cords, a handful of ide cables, things like that.

I also have a few older texas instruments calculators and trs-80 pocket computer stuff too. Some other classic calculators. As well as a canon H660 hi-8 camcorder, and a Jvc 3050 3" portable tv, really slick. There may be some fluke dmm's in the pile too.

Reply 1 of 12, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Keatah wrote:
I have some new in box usr modems ---SNIP--- and external, v.everything ---SNIP--- 2 or 3 wave blaster daughtercards ---SNIP- […]
Show full quote

I have some new in box usr modems ---SNIP--- and external, v.everything
---SNIP---
2 or 3 wave blaster daughtercards
---SNIP---
some original first release soundblasters
---SNIP---
There may be some fluke dmm's in the pile too.

Keatah wrote:

Or best dump it all in the trash??

These things are GOLD, don't throw 'em out! As an example, try EBay-ing or Craigslist-ing for the Wave Blasters (1)... ain't gonna find them.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be a shame to dump it, I can see a few things from that list that I'd give you money for. You aren't located in Australia are you 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it depends if you are after some money or want the stuff in 'good hands'.

Also some photos would help to identify the stuff in more detail as your description gives too few infos.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to sell to forum members, may I suggest you post a WTS thread on vintage-computer.com?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose, then I can try the vintagecomputing.com and ebay and here. I was thinking about just putting pics up on Picassa from google as I go through the interface and expansion cards stuff instead of micro-managing each and every piece auction style. As that could get extremely tedious. And many of those cards would go for $5.00 or so, not worth an ebay auction.

For starters, here is one of my speaker systems I've got going, it is an ebay auction with a reasonable start price of $40.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … =STRK:MESELX:IT

Reply 10 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Keatah wrote:

Stuff not wanted here. Stuff too tedious to sell on ebay. Best course of action - dump in garbage.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Nobody said it's not wanted! There's just recently-effected rule about actually trading ON VOGONS. That's all.

There's nothing stopping you from listing the items on somewhere like vintage-computer and linking the thread here! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
a few 386 and 486 chips, maybe 8 total. A handful of ram modules, all older, I don't recall the speeds or capacity a box of sou […]
Show full quote

a few 386 and 486 chips, maybe 8 total.
A handful of ram modules, all older, I don't recall the speeds or capacity
a box of soundcards, a few no-namers, 2 or 3 wave blaster daughtercards, an awe32 or two, some original first release soundblasters, some sb16's.
a 286 chip or two, 8087, 80287.
a few obscure cards I have no idea about - about 15 of them.

If you put these on ebay I'd bid on them (assuming you shipped to my country).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 12, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah. I see. I was not fully aware of the new rules and regulations. Ok. No more posting for sale stuff here. But it is ok to link to vintage-computer from here? Good.. As far as shipping stuff goes, its just that buyers need to deal with the higher costs of shipping from the U.S., that's the only beef they (and I) have with it. I had a guy pay over $80.00 customs on ~$15 item one time.