VOGONS

First post, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it's not the place to be posting tech support questions but Ive been recently been spending most of my free time only on this forum and in the search for a quick response to an old hardware based question - where better? 😊

I have an old CTX VL950T CRT monitor that I've been using normally for the past few months without any problems at all. However, I often switch the monitor lead by unplugging it from my desktop machine, plugging it into my ASUS EEE PC, also, without any problems

Yesterday, I switched from the desktop to the desktop to the ASUS EEE PC a normal, but this time, nothing happened. I have the orange LED (not green) on the monitor, but no picture. When I also remove the lead from either, I no longer get the NO SIGNAL message. I turn the monitor on and on and you can hear the static crackle away as it warms up and the tube kick in, like normal, but just no picture. 😦

I checked the VGA connector and it appears that 3 pins are missing from the DB-15 lineup. Now, I'm not even sure if they were there to begin with, so I can't say for sure, that this is the problem. THey could've come out or they may have never been there in the first place. Here's a pic of the pins that are missing:

db15.th.png

I can't think what else to try and what the symptoms may be. I only got the monitor from my girlfriends parents a few months ago, thinking I'd got a good deal, as I wouldn't have to go out and buy my own CRT, but now, that looks to be the case ... 😢

Reply 2 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pin 7 is Green Ground, you'd think that just mean you got no green or incorrect green levels in your picture...

The other two are for VESA DDC, and shouldn't affect the ability to display a picture.

Are the pins broken off in either the desktop or laptop VGA sockets?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you're looking at it backwards. The marked pins are 4, 9, and 11... 9 is the 'key' pin and is missing on many monitor cables, and 4 and 11 have to do with monitor ID and aren't usually used on modern (post-'95, maybe longer) VGA stuff either.

Reply 5 of 8, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I did have to flip the image horizontally as when I compared my VGA port to the one in the image, it was the other way. The image as I show it, is the correct representation of my cable, with the first and third row of pins going the other way! 😒

I checked for broken pins in the devices and if the pins had fallen on the ground somewhere close to the machines, but no, there is nothing, and probably was nothing more than what there is now, AFAIK.

UPDATE: After further investigation, I disconnected the VGA cable from either machine, and also unplugged the power cable and tried in another source. I now have the green light with the NO SIGNAL box bouncing around on the screen. However, I soon as I try to connect to any device, the light goes amber, nothing on the screen and there is that ever so slight high-pitched screech/noise coming from the monitor - almost like it's trying to work something out. 😉

So it's not the tube - could it be the VGA cable? If so, how to replace this?

db150002.th.jpg

db150006.th.jpg

Reply 6 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you may have broken connections in the cable or even bad solder connections on the main board. Doubtful anything is actually wrong with the monitor otherwise since you have OSD (on screen display)

I'd just open the case to the CRT but make sure it is discharged and check connections first. if not. I'd solder a new adapter plug to the main board and mount it to the case so you could use a removeable cable. This is a bit of work if you live in the states finding a new one is probably alot cheaper and less effort.

Reply 7 of 8, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It turns out the problem is with the cable.

If I re-position my laptop at different heights, with the monitor cable plugged in, sometimes the screen is displayed, and then when I move it, it disappears. Moving the cable in certain, angles and positions, as well as different places down the cable, points to the problem at the end of the cable, close to the VGA plug.

As I don't have access to a soldering iron, is it an easy task to cut the cable back, and then re-wire the pins back onto the plug?