VOGONS

Reply 180 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was just an example, the scaler should be completely independent from the monitors features, anyway you will always stuck to some outdated feature. The uw is great for sw development, i am a sw engineer, our office is also replaced the dual screen setups.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 181 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2023-11-28, 16:38:

It was just an example, the scaler should be completely independent from the monitors features, anyway you will always stuck to some outdated feature. The uw is great for sw development, i am a sw engineer, our office is also replaced the dual screen setups.

I am too, not professionally since I was a couple of years out of university, but I do a lot at home.
I have a couple of 24" monitors in portrait stucked one on top of the other for that.
Works well for Web pages too as they're usually longer than they are wide.

Reply 182 of 233, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last weekend I tried the OSSC Pro for DOS games upscaled to my Dell 1440p OLED gaming monitor.
Only did some limited testing, but initial impression is good, I don’t mind the pillarboxing on OLED as much as on a LCD panel because there is no backlight. Also does 70Hz.
Downsides were switching between resolutions takes a bit long (didn’t measure, maybe around 2s). OSSC Pro also didn’t sync correctly to higher resolutions in Windows. I didn’t try to manually adjust timings to see if that can be resolved.

Reply 183 of 233, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Retrotink4k review by ModernVintageGamer does look very promising as scaler for computers. Looks like it might solve the issues I mentioned with the OSSC Pro above.

Reply 184 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys… end game “retro” display, samsung g8 oled with ossc. Frequency perfect (upto 175hz vrr), 4:3 support. It is a p120 with s3 968.

Attachments

• IMG_4456.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4456.jpeg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 185 of 233, by Vagabund2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arncht wrote on 2023-11-29, 16:30:

Guys… end game “retro” display, samsung g8 oled with ossc. Frequency perfect (upto 175hz vrr), 4:3 support. It is a p120 with s3 968.

Impressive, how many inches is that diagonally? Doesn the curved display bother you?

Reply 186 of 233, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
florian3 wrote on 2023-11-29, 15:07:

The Retrotink4k review by ModernVintageGamer does look very promising as scaler for computers. Looks like it might solve the issues I mentioned with the OSSC Pro above.

It truly looks like the end boss of scalers.

Not sure what ElectroSoldier's beef is with community made products that cater to the exact needs of the community. But one of those professional scalers costs $1000 more than the Tink 4k where I live.

Reply 187 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-11-29, 22:41:

It truly looks like the end boss of scalers.

Not sure what ElectroSoldier's beef is with community made products that cater to the exact needs of the community. But one of those professional scalers costs $1000 more than the Tink 4k where I live.

I dont have a problem with it over all, I just dont like it for me.
If you watch this video it looks like it is the only thing this guy ever wanted. Which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqNvvQ-B2a0&t … ernVintageGamer

I guess you like what you get familiar with, and I know those professional level scalers thats all.

Reply 188 of 233, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What interests me in these scaling solutions, is CRT emulation. Mid-90's CRT monitors are unrivalled when it comes to how great they make games look. More modern CRT monitors are too sharp & designed for high resolutions but say a 1995 monitor is perfect as long as you don't go over 1024x768. If I can have an "upscaler" that can emulate CRT on the fly, I can replace any CRT with a portable 17" 4K monitor. I could even 3D print a bezel to make it look suitable. Now, if we got a 16:10 4K screen it would be perfect.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 189 of 233, by Vagabund2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote on 2023-12-11, 10:49:

What interests me in these scaling solutions, is CRT emulation. Mid-90's CRT monitors are unrivalled when it comes to how great they make games look. More modern CRT monitors are too sharp & designed for high resolutions but say a 1995 monitor is perfect as long as you don't go over 1024x768. If I can have an "upscaler" that can emulate CRT on the fly, I can replace any CRT with a portable 17" 4K monitor. I could even 3D print a bezel to make it look suitable. Now, if we got a 16:10 4K screen it would be perfect.

I was able to order a RetroTink 4K on Saturday and will report back here once I've had a chance to test it. However, it's likely to take a while to arrive.

Reply 190 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vagabund2k wrote on 2023-11-29, 20:35:
arncht wrote on 2023-11-29, 16:30:

Impressive, how many inches is that diagonally? Doesn the curved display bother you?

the 34” 21:9 practically is a 27” 16:9, so it should be around 22” 4:3. The curved for uw is the preferable.

Reply 191 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote on 2023-12-11, 10:49:

I think it is the issue with the crts, the bigger trinitons has terrible dos performance. I always try these filters on lcd, but finally i go back to the original image with the pixels. The ossc also supports overscan and crt filters.

Reply 192 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the above having been said about scalers then it really doesnt matter what LCD you use does it because you aint outputting the picture from DOS anymore, youre putting out an upscaled picture.
If the scaler is good enough to be worth talking about in a thread like this the it shouldnt matter about the monitor, the only real question is what is the best modern monitor.

Reply 193 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you show a picture on a digital device, there is always an ad and a scaler… just in the monitor itself.

Reply 194 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes there is but its not like you can swap that out is it? I mean its sort of considered to be an integral part of that particular monitor isnt it? Its not a stand alone scaler like the ones that have been talked about... The Retrotink for instance.

Reply 195 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The retrothink is way more perfect solution for analogue inputs, than any display input. From the display perspective always the native resolution at the native input frequency is the best. If it gets a different input, the display will also scale it somehow.

Reply 196 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2023-12-11, 20:02:

The retrothink is way more perfect solution for analogue inputs, than any display input. From the display perspective always the native resolution at the native input frequency is the best. If it gets a different input, the display will also scale it somehow.

There any several options out there, I would hardly consider the Retrotink a perfect solution especially if you just want to get some analogue inputs going on.

Thats one of the main reasons to have the scaler... To get the picture to the resolution of the monitor... Did you think it was for something else?

Reply 197 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i had a small issue with my oled g8, if the display goes to sleep at 70hz, no image if you turn on it again. just the cold start helped, or if i set the home screen as default. i forwarded this issue to the samsung austria, and they send me a new display software after two days! so it fixed for the retro purposes 😀 such a great support, i was really impressed.

Reply 198 of 233, by Vagabund2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Received the Retrotink 4k today. Only had a brief test on a Dell 1440p / 60 Hz so far. DOS, BIOS, Win98, everything's working fine. Also tested Check's Quest and Unreal. Unreal was quite impressive. Hoping to dive deeper into it over the holidays.