Best LCD for DOS games running on old hardware

Topic actions

Reply 202 of 233, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-11, 16:06:

All the above having been said about scalers then it really doesnt matter what LCD you use does it because you aint outputting the picture from DOS anymore, youre putting out an upscaled picture.
If the scaler is good enough to be worth talking about in a thread like this the it shouldnt matter about the monitor, the only real question is what is the best modern monitor.

That's a weird post. I'm not sure I'm misunderstanding but the way I read it, what you say makes no sense.

If you want to upscale a DOS game, it's best to take into account different hertz so ideally you'd have a monitor that can output more than 60Hz and even more than 120Hz.

If you also want to do CRT shading, you HAVE to have a high resolution monitor - 4K is recommended - to emulate the CRT "pixels".

Personally, I have a project in mind which will be costly but should provide for a very good solution: they're finally making non-widescreen OLED monitors that aren't extremely expensive and combined with a Retrotink 4k it should offer a very bright image that can mimic the true CRT look.

An alternative is a small portable 15" screen that has enough nits with 144Hz refresh rate (the max I've seen them being sold at so far). These would be small enough to fit inside a 3D printed bezel even.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 204 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:15:
That's a weird post. I'm not sure I'm misunderstanding but the way I read it, what you say makes no sense. […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-11, 16:06:

All the above having been said about scalers then it really doesnt matter what LCD you use does it because you aint outputting the picture from DOS anymore, youre putting out an upscaled picture.
If the scaler is good enough to be worth talking about in a thread like this the it shouldnt matter about the monitor, the only real question is what is the best modern monitor.

That's a weird post. I'm not sure I'm misunderstanding but the way I read it, what you say makes no sense.

If you want to upscale a DOS game, it's best to take into account different hertz so ideally you'd have a monitor that can output more than 60Hz and even more than 120Hz.

If you also want to do CRT shading, you HAVE to have a high resolution monitor - 4K is recommended - to emulate the CRT "pixels".

Personally, I have a project in mind which will be costly but should provide for a very good solution: they're finally making non-widescreen OLED monitors that aren't extremely expensive and combined with a Retrotink 4k it should offer a very bright image that can mimic the true CRT look.

An alternative is a small portable 15" screen that has enough nits with 144Hz refresh rate (the max I've seen them being sold at so far). These would be small enough to fit inside a 3D printed bezel even.

Which is what I said.
Its about the scaler and then just put that into the best modern monitor you can afford because its never going to be as good as the real thing no matter what monitor you use. Only the real thing is that good.

Reply 205 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[..] If you also want to do CRT shading, you HAVE to have a high resolution monitor - 4K is recommended - to emulate the CRT "pixels" [..].

That's not wrong, but there's a catch. What most of you guys think by "CRT" monitor is probably a mid-90s VGA monitor with a 0.2mm dot pitch.
A classic 1987 MCGA/VGA monitor has a dot pitch 0f 0.4mm, though! The infamous Tandy VGM-225 had 0.52 mm, even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m79HxULt3O8
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/bad … ndy-1000.42604/

Now the funny thing is, that games in 320x200 look nice on such low-res CRTs.
The bigger the pixels (the lower the monitor's capability to resolve the image), the better the colour blending!

So unless high-resolution graphics are being used (CAD, SVGA), a coarse CRT emulation might be the way to go.
For this, an 1080p screen should suffice.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 206 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:27:

they're finally making non-widescreen OLED monitors that aren't extremely expensive

Any more info on these?

no chance... the current existing 4:3 lcd displays are also (based on) very old models. and be honest, i am happy, that i can use the oled for retro and for modern purposes. i do not want a dedicated display, if it is not authentic.

anyway 2024 will be the year of the oled boom, they release a lot of popular sized oled displays 27-32-34, 1440p, 2160p, dell, asus, hp, msi, lg, samsung, etc comes with 3-5 models, based on samsung or lg panels. currently the samsung looks more promising, they come with the rev3.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 207 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-12, 18:17:
That's not wrong, but there's a catch. What most of you guys think by "CRT" monitor is probably a mid-90s VGA monitor with a 0.2 […]
Show full quote

[..] If you also want to do CRT shading, you HAVE to have a high resolution monitor - 4K is recommended - to emulate the CRT "pixels" [..].

That's not wrong, but there's a catch. What most of you guys think by "CRT" monitor is probably a mid-90s VGA monitor with a 0.2mm dot pitch.
A classic 1987 MCGA/VGA monitor has a dot pitch 0f 0.4mm, though! The infamous Tandy VGM-225 had 0.52 mm, even!

The bigger the pixels (the lower the monitor's capability to resolve the image), the better the colour blending!

So unless high-resolution graphics are being used (CAD, SVGA), a coarse CRT emulation might be the way to go.

i always try out the emulations, but finally go back to the "native" pixels 😀 the pixels look gorgeous on the oled. maybe with a 4k scaler.

Reply 208 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote on 2024-01-12, 19:18:
That's not wrong, but there's a catch. What most of you guys think by "CRT" monitor is probably a mid-90s VGA monitor with a 0.2 […]
Show full quote

i always try out the emulations, but finally go back to the "native" pixels 😀 the pixels look gorgeous on the oled. maybe with a 4k scaler.

I understand. ^^ Though MCGA titles really don't look too shabby on a 80's era tube.

This user resurrected an IBM 5175, the granddady of VGA monitors (PGC monitor, actually. But VGA conversion wasn't uncommon back then).

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/the … ken-5175.71378/

The topic has an image of SOMI, too. The gradient of the horizon behind Mêlée Island is near perfect. ^^

PS: I'm sort of a fan of OLED, too. The vibrant colours are like neon lights.
What would be even better would be laser technology (it fluorescents/sparkles so nicely).
But that would require a rear projection system.

PS/2: My general recommendation is to have a little CRT TV on the desk, next to a flat-screen monitor.
Together with a little VGA to Composite/S-Video/SVART converter box the user has the choice to enjoy a game either way.
Many converters have VGA pass-through feature, so the main monitor is running in parallel. It's just a recommendation, though. It's no order. 😉

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 209 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-13, 02:24:
I understand. ^^ Though MCGA titles really don't look too shabby on a 80's era tube. […]
Show full quote
arncht wrote on 2024-01-12, 19:18:
Show full quote

I understand. ^^ Though MCGA titles really don't look too shabby on a 80's era tube.

This user resurrected an IBM 5175, the granddady of VGA monitors (PGC monitor, actually. But VGA conversion wasn't uncommon back then).

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/the … ken-5175.71378/

The topic has an image of SOMI, too. The gradient of the horizon behind Mêlée Island is near perfect. ^^

PS: I'm sort of a fan of OLED, too. The vibrant colours are like neon lights.
What would be even better would be laser technology (it fluorescents/sparkles so nicely).
But that would require a rear projection system.

PS/2: My general recommendation is to have a little CRT TV on the desk, next to a flat-screen monitor.
Together with a little VGA to Composite/S-Video/SVART converter box the user has the choice to enjoy a game either way.
Many converters have VGA pass-through feature, so the main monitor is running in parallel. It's just a recommendation, though. It's no order. 😉

I also collected more crts for the golden age of the dos (imho 91-94), shadow mask 14, 17”, my original plan was to do a retro corner next to my modern setup. I stuck a little bit with to choose the right sized desk (they are very expensive), so parallel i bought an ossc and samsung g8 oled.

The result was so good, the display has native 4:3, perfect frequency match for 70hz, the win also works like on a real crt in the 90s, i am thinking to give up the original idea. Another advantage, i use a studio mixer, and the multi sound card setup is also works wonderfully.

Practically i can use the same frontend to my uptodate macbook and the pcs from the 90s. I can calibrate the ossc for every pcs, these analogue outputs never looked so good on the “average” crts, i really enjoy my favorite retro games and pcs in this sound/picture quality without any drawbacks. Maybe a better scaler could make it better, but the samsung scales the 800/960p also very well.

Reply 210 of 233, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

That's true but 4K will make SVGA games look absolutely gorgeous. The mid 90's screens are what I grew up with and while 320X200 still locks quite blocky, for 640x480 and 800x600 it looks amazing. When you play a game like Commandos on a CRT you can't see any pixels and it makes it look so nice & detailed. You then play it on a CRT and ... dear lord.

I have a 19" Philips CRT from 2001 which is too sharp for its own good and I never felt that happy about it even though it's a ridiculously good monitor (does 1600x1200 at 85Hz) that cost over €1000 at the time but yeah ... while it's great for high resolutions, retro gaming is all about lower resolutions.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 211 of 233, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:27:

they're finally making non-widescreen OLED monitors that aren't extremely expensive

Any more info on these?

They're not released yet but :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00D_hw9w9Ms

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 212 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OLED screens looks great, but the concerns about burn-in and longevity have never been fully put to rest in my mind .

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-inv … -update-3-month

Reply 213 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote on 2024-01-17, 22:04:
Show full quote

That's true but 4K will make SVGA games look absolutely gorgeous. The mid 90's screens are what I grew up with and while 320X200 still locks quite blocky, for 640x480 and 800x600 it looks amazing. When you play a game like Commandos on a CRT you can't see any pixels and it makes it look so nice & detailed. You then play it on a CRT and ... dear lord.

I have a 19" Philips CRT from 2001 which is too sharp for its own good and I never felt that happy about it even though it's a ridiculously good monitor (does 1600x1200 at 85Hz) that cost over €1000 at the time but yeah ... while it's great for high resolutions, retro gaming is all about lower resolutions.

Hi there! That's also my experience. Playing, say, MS Flight Simulator or Frederic Pohl's Gateway in 800x600 on a high quality CRT is a fine experience.
I do fondly rememer playing Toons Truck and ST: A Finaly Unity in higher resolution. Way back in the day on my fathers 20" CRT (by the time, it was on my desktop).
I think I had to fiddle with a refresh utility or the monitor knobs to get it working. Also had Skyglobe in SVGA running on that thing, was amazing!

Edit: The LCD/TFT owners here will also have a better experience in SVGA, of course.

//My video channel//

Reply 214 of 233, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you explain how a 4k monitor make SVGA games look good when you also say a 19" CRT is too sharp ? Just curious 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 216 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-01-17, 22:13:

OLED screens looks great, but the concerns about burn-in and longevity have never been fully put to rest in my mind .

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-inv … -update-3-month

In germany 3 years covered, how i know.

Reply 217 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-01-18, 04:08:

Can you explain how a 4k monitor make SVGA games look good when you also say a 19" CRT is too sharp ? Just curious 😀

I have same problem with the trinitrons, i can see the lines and the pixels too, in an average shadow mask 17” is not an issue, on oled we have pure pixels. Both are better from my perspective.

Reply 218 of 233, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-01-18, 04:08:

Easy: the reason people love CRTs, is because they mask pixel edges. The image looks a lot smoother & more organic compared to LCD where every pixel is an extremely sharp one.

A 4K monitor lets you use detailed CRT shaders where you can actually simulate a mid 90s CRT really well and OLED is great because you can mimic deep blacks which CRTs also had so combine the two and you can get pretty close to how a CRT actually looked like on a modern display but with the added benefits of lower power consumption, less weight & size, etc.

Early LCD panels were pretty terrible with blacks being dark grey at best, lots of colour bleeding, TL light yellowing, relatively low resolutions, bad viewing angles, poor color accuracy, slower refresh rates locked at 60Hz, screen tearing without Vsync, looked horrible when not using the native resolution, input latency, etc. etc. etc.

Even modern LCD monitors STILL share many of these problems - deep blacks are still bad, screen tearing is still a thing, etc. but at least modern IPS panels offer nice colours, the viewing angle has massively improved and the higher resolutions mean that using a slightly lower resolution doesn't look as horrible as it used to.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 219 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At a typical crt the black was far from real black, and the top nit is also not comparable to the nowadays standards.