Best LCD for DOS games running on old hardware

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2024-01-18, 19:01:

At a typical crt the black was far from real black, and the top nit is also not comparable to the nowadays standards.

You would have to have a pretty bad CRT for that to be true though, even more so when compared to an LCD.

Reply 221 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-19, 02:55:

At a typical crt the black was far from real black, and the top nit is also not comparable to the nowadays standards.

You would have to have a pretty bad CRT for that to be true though, even more so when compared to an LCD.

Sure… everybody talking about the highend very late crts, it was not typical in the 90s. I also had 21” trinitron but it was around 2001-2002, before the lcds, it is terrible for dos. Most of the people used shitty crts at the dos age.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 222 of 233, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really helpfull is a TFT that can change the blacklevel, like Nec 193mi. That helped me a lot when fixing too bright levels on macs and fuzzeling lines on Atari-ST.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 223 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2024-01-19, 06:32:

Sure… everybody talking about the highend very late crts, it was not typical in the 90s. I also had 21” trinitron but it was around 2001-2002, before the lcds, it is terrible for dos. Most of the people used shitty crts at the dos age.

Yeah I understand that part, in that most people didnt have the best tech at the time, but Im not sure how thats important to what we're talking about here and now.

Reply 224 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-20, 04:36:
arncht wrote on 2024-01-19, 06:32:

Yeah I understand that part, in that most people didnt have the best tech at the time, but Im not sure how thats important to what we're talking about here and now.

Then you can compare to oled, the crt is dead.

Reply 226 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-20, 19:07:

What 4:3 OLEDs have you found? that support DOS resolutions?

Why do you need 4:3? It is fine even on the ultrawide.

Reply 227 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Industrial monitors are usually all 4:3, right?
Maybe we can get hold of an embedded monitor in near future that's based on a modern OLED panel?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 228 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you can use the oled for modern purposes, why is it good to limit just for 4:3? I did not get it.

Reply 229 of 233, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2024-01-21, 06:10:

Here you can use the oled for modern purposes, why is it good to limit just for 4:3? I did not get it.

Personally, I want a kinda-period-correct-looking display next to my beige box. It's form over function, sure... but I like it.

Reply 230 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote on 2024-01-20, 20:37:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-20, 19:07:

What 4:3 OLEDs have you found? that support DOS resolutions?

Why do you need 4:3? It is fine even on the ultrawide.

Where do all those extra pixels come from?
I mean theyre not part of the game are they.

Reply 231 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote on 2024-01-21, 06:10:

Um, personally I don't want a curved 21:9 screen with a glossy black finish and Ambilight. It irritates me. 🤷‍♂️

I'd rather have a small 4:3 panel I can install in a wooden box.

If needed I will paint it, so it looks a bit like a Commodore 1702 or similar monitor.

Or maybe, make it look like an IBM MDA monitor (design was cloned somewhat often).

The empty space in that box could be used to house a homemade linear power supply! ^^

Edit: There's a catch with the infamous 320x200 resolution (line doubled to 320x400; MCGA mode 13h): It uses non-square pixels.
A CRT doesn't care, because it's mostly working with lines.

320x240 (VGA mode x) and 640x480 (Standard VGA mode 12h) are using square-pixels. They look fine on flat-screens, too.

Edited.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 232 of 233, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-21, 11:55:

If you're already re-casing the thing, you could pillar(wooden)box a 16:9 panel. Modern bezels are slim, old displays' weren't, so with a bit of care it should come out looking somewhat decent.

Reply 233 of 233, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elszgensa wrote on 2024-01-21, 12:48:
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-21, 11:55:

If you're already re-casing the thing, you could pillar(wooden)box a 16:9 panel. Modern bezels are slim, old displays' weren't, so with a bit of care it should come out looking somewhat decent.

Yes, that's a good workaround.
Something similar came to mind when I thought about making an imitation of round CRT monitor (like those radar tubes).
Such monitors were being used to play Space War! and other mainframe games.

//My video channel//