VOGONS

486DX4 Overdrive no boot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried overclocking the AMD DX4 to 120MHz with some interesting results.

It was not stable at 40MHz bus speed without introducing some wait states. Even thoguh I set the bus speed to 40MHz the BIOS detected the processor as 133MHz. There are no options for multiplier on the motherboard, just bus speed. Sysinfo even agreed that the processor is running at 133MHz. Not sure whats going on there, I'm assuming the BIOS doesn't have an entry in its CPU table for 120MHz. CACHECHK reports 120MHz.

going from 100MHz to 120MHz increased my 3dbench score from 66.6 to 71.4 However, DOOM timedemo 3 went from 41 to 38 - The additional wait states seem to be more of a hindrance than the benefit gained by the extra bus and CPU speed. Likewise, PCPBench mode 101 (640x480) also went from 6.8 at 100MHz to 6.5 at 120MHz. This is with 15ns L2 cache and 70 nanosecond fast-page memory.

At the moment I think I'm better off just running at 100MHz, not much sense in accelerating this Am486DX4's already shortened lifespan for little practical benefit 😜

Reply 21 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

You could get a DX4 overdrive or one of those 5x86 upgrade chips which use a voltage regulator. The POD might work,

The DX4 overdrive and pentium overdrive don't work in this board 😜 that's what prompted me to make this thread in the first place 😀

Yes I knew 😉
I just wanted to post a complete story as I already knew that you knew not all options posted by me would work for you 😉

I'll go take a couple pics of my stuff (btw, there are interposers for getting a 3.3v 486 in a 5v board) and edit this post, hold on...

Edit:The battery in my camera decided that, while I was taking pics of 2 of my retro rigs, it was time to quit and apparently I never recharged my spare battery so I gotta wait till one of them is recharged. Sorry! 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, the battery was finally recharged.

Here come the pics!

1st pic is all 6 chips on 1 photo.
DSC00495.jpg
From top to bottom and from left to righ:
Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz
Intel DX4 Overdrive
Kingston Turbochip (AMD 5x86 regulated)
Evergreen kinda forgot it's name (AMD 5x86 regulated)
and the bottom 2 are 2 random AMD chips both on voltage regulator adapters (the AMD chips can be taken out)

3 more pics of the chips from closer (click to see)
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/inte … um/DSC00499.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/inte … um/DSC00498.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/inte … um/DSC00496.jpg

1 pic I made for the heck of it (was there with all the gear anyway 😜)
2 pics, one of a 486 Pentium Overdrive and the other a boxed Pentium MMX. Notice how they are the exact same size 😉
DSC00501.jpg

All 6 of these chips (well, 4 chips and 2 CPU adapters) are supposed to be installed and set to run at 5v, even though all 6 chips are in reality the lower voltage 3.3v chips. They run on 3.3v internally.

And btw, I'm not sure why one pin of the boxed Pentium 1 MMX looks so dark, it's very hard to see without the camera. Could be a burned pin but oh well, was about the size anyway and I needed any Pentium Socket 5/7 with a heatsink so both chips were the same hight 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking for one of those interposers for a while but they appear very uncommon.

If you feel liike converting one of them into cash I've got a wanted-to-buy thread up on vintage computer 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.