VOGONS

DVI TO HDMI?

Topic actions

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all.

I'm trying to work out how I can connect a PC with dual DVI on the graphics card to an LCD HD TV with HDMI. I was looking for a DVI (male) to HDMI (male) converter and then thinking I could just use an HDMI cable to link the PC to the LCD. Will this work ok? Will it be able to display 1080p?

I know this won't carry audio but I have speakers on the PC to do that.

Is there a single cable available that has DVI and HDMI at either end that can do this? 😐

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it will work.

You can buy the cables ready made (DVI to HDMI) or use a HDMI cable with a DVI to HDMI dongle on the graphics card.

Note, that often LCDs TVs are weird with HDMI from the PC. They apply some overscan (image is too large and stuff is missing).

If this happens, you can see if the TV has an option to turn this off, sometimes it's one of the HDMI ports that are for PCs. You can also compensate on the PC through software.

If all fails, just use VGA 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 14, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna jump in and order some cables tonight. Been promising the Missus some HD movie nights in for ages.

And the best part, can't wait to watch some HD disney with the little one when the other half goes out to her boring parties.

Thanks for the advice. 😁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 3 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use HDMI cables with just a DVI dongle as the thin HDMI wire just looks nicer compared to a thick "old fashioned" monitor cable 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 14, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I use HDMI cables with just a DVI dongle as the thin HDMI wire just looks nicer compared to a thick "old fashioned" monitor cable 😉

I have both and both work for me too.

I just went to Fry's Electronics and got the cheapest DVI to HDMI cable they had, don't pay for something you do not need, Monster Cables are no better then joe-generic brands except the labeling 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always have to 🤣 at expensive HDMI cables like Monster or even Belkin.

When the sales guys talk about noise and I say to myself: Well the whole purpose of going digitial was to get rid of noise...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 14, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, I'm thinking about a friend of mine, that advised me to connect my PS3 to my TV using a very expensive HDMI cable, and was really sure that I would notice huge improvement in visual quality...... 🤣

Reply 7 of 14, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Markk wrote:

Now, I'm thinking about a friend of mine, that advised me to connect my PS3 to my TV using a very expensive HDMI cable, and was really sure that I would notice huge improvement in visual quality...... 🤣

I did this thinking the same thing too, I purchased as a test, a $30.00 Belkin HDMI cable and a $9.00 joe-generic chinese brand, other then the gold plating on the outside of the connector there was no visual difference on my Samsung 40" LCD.

Even the generic cables have gold plated inside connectors.

The shielded outsode connector is for RFI/EMI shielding but I bet since it's a digitial signal there is no drop in the frequency for either cable for a 3 meter length.

I have my Comcast DVR, my PS3, my Gaming Rig all connected to the same TV.

Reply 8 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If a digital video signal has problems they tend to be very obvious. You can get ugly blocking like that of poorly compressed video or you might see some crazy sparkly pixels. But it's not like analog and wont get washed out, static, fuzzy etc.

Personally I've yet to see a cable cause issues with a digital signal. Maybe if you are going a long distance it will become more important to have a fancy cable. I use cheap cables from Monoprice and they even have various grades of cheap cables 🤣

Reply 9 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:

I purchased as a test, a $30.00 Belkin HDMI cable and a $9.00 joe-generic chinese brand, other then the gold plating on the outside of the connector there was no visual difference on my Samsung 40" LCD.

Wow $9...thats expensive 🤣!
Mine cost just €3 or €4 or so and works perfectly fine.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 14, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I don't consider this expensive for a 3m cable, but I do consider the $30.00 charge for the Belkin cable to be expensive and the pricing went up from there 😜

What does 9 US Dollars convert to vs. Euros ?!?

Reply 12 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I don't consider this expensive for a 3m cable, but I do consider the $30.00 charge for the Belkin cable to be expensive and the pricing went up from there 😜

What does 9 US Dollars convert to vs. Euros ?!?

Was a joke hehe 😜

I think one Euro is roughly 1 1/3 Dollars atm.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 14, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered a mix and match of cables and dongle to try them out. Bottom line I only need 1 cable for our own media centre, but as I'm building a couple more I'll need the others.

Meantime I will test all the cables with my machine and let you know the difference.

Prices of my items range from £2.33 - £11.99 dongles and £.3.03 to £16.99 cables. 🙁