VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got a K6-2/475ACK CPU, that some sites list as "regular" K6-2, while other believe it's a "mobile" K6-2. It does have 2.0Vcore, compared to 2.2 for most other K6-2s - does this make it any "special"? 😀 I assume I'll be able to safely run it at 5x100 (instead of 5x95), right?

Reply 1 of 1, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll go look it up...

Edit: This is your chip: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-Mobile … 6-2-475ACK.html

It's basically a normal K6-2 0.25 micron part.
You could say it's comparable to how the Athlon XP mobiles compare to the Athlon XP desktop parts.

It's a slightly underclocked and undervolted higher frequency K6-2 part.
Though, usually mobile parts are often the better quality ones, so it's actually not that bad.
2.0v and 475Mhz is quite good, most 500Mhz parts ran at 2.2v (the 550Mhz ones actually at 2.3v) though there is a lot of variety in voltages, multipliers and fsb's.
In the end this doesn't matter much for K6-2 as it's not locked in any way.

Edit2:

iulianv wrote:

I assume I'll be able to safely run it at 5x100 (instead of 5x95), right?

I think your assumption is correct 😉
You might have to up the voltage a bit (2.1v might be good if 2.0v isn't stable enough for your taste) but 500Mhz on your part is a safe "gamble" 😉

Edit3:Theres basically nothing special about your mobile (it's the exact same core architecture as the desktop K6-2) but it is (possibly) special in a way that mobiles tend to be the higher quality CPU's compared to the desktop ones.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!