VOGONS

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a CT3600 SoundBlaster 32 today without any RAM in the SIMM slots. I want to load a better soundfont into the SoundBlaster 32 because, let's face it, the default soundfont is crap, so I pulled out the two 2MB RAM sticks in my Packard Bell Legend 316SX(it's the only thing I have here with 30-pin SIMMs) and stuck 'em in the SoundBlaster 32's SIMM slots. I don't know what's wrong with this sound card, but it only recognizes half the RAM I put in it. With both SIMMs, AWE Control shows 2MB of soundfont RAM(this CT3600 has zero on-board RAM, FYI), but where things make no sense for me is what happens when I use just one SIMM. If I use one SIMM, no matter which of the two SIMM slots I use, the SoundBlaster 32 does not recognize the SIMM at all.

Now, the plastic tabs on the SIMM slots to hold the SIMMs in place almost all broke off(only one tab is still there). I'm using masking tape in order to hold the SIMMs down, but no matter how many times I try, I can only get the SoundBlaster 32 to recognize 2MB of RAM. What gives?

Another thing about this particular SoundBlaster 32: like the CT3990 SoundBlaster AWE32, the CT3600 SoundBlaster 32 has empty solder spots for a YMF289 and YAC516. How does that work? What happens to the on-board CQM if a YMF289 is soldered onto the sound card?

Reply 2 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is it:

Frequently Asked Questions for AWE32 UPGRADE […]
Show full quote

Frequently Asked Questions for AWE32 UPGRADE

This is a document containing frequently asked questions for the
Creative AWE32 UPGRADE card. This document summarizes many frequently
asked questions and answers about the AWE32 UPGRADE. If you have a
question, please check this file before calling Creative Technical
Support as you may find the answer for your question contained in this
document.

5.How do I upgrade the memory on the card?

To upgrade the memory, you can purchase standard SIMM
modules and insert them into the SIMM sockets provided on
the AWE32 UPGRADE. (If you are not familiar with inserting
SIMM modules, check with a technician where you purchased
the SIMM modules; they should be able to help). You will also
need to reconfigure the memory selector jumper on the AWE32
UPGRADE card.

The SIMM sockets on the AWE32 UPGRADE were designed to
accommodate industry standard 30-pin SIMM modules. You will
need to insert two SIMMs of the same memory size into both
of the sockets. The available memory options are:

2 MB (using 2 1 MB SIMMs)
8 MB (using 2 4 MB SIMMs)
32 MB (using 2 16 MB SIMMs)

Note that you cannot mix different size (that is, 2 MB and 8
MB) SIMM modules together on a single AWE32 UPGRADE card.

There are also 72-pin SIMM modules on the market. Such
SIMMs can be found on motherboards that use 8 or 16 megabit
SIMMs or as cache RAM. They are incompatible with the SIMM
sockets on the AWE32 UPGRADE card.

The EMU8000 treats the first 4 MB of its DRAM address space
as ROM memory. As a result, when you insert two 16 MB SIMMs
onto the AWE32 UPGRADE, only 28 MB will be addressable.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 9, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No wonder the SoundBlaster 32 has problems with my two 2MB SIMMs. I think I'll purchase a 4MB 30-pin SIMM to stick into the SoundBlaster 32. Or if there's some way to use 72-pin SIMMs on 30-pin SIMM slots, I have a 16MB 72-pin SIMM I can use.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 4 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ace wrote:

No wonder the SoundBlaster 32 has problems with my two 2MB SIMMs. I think I'll purchase a 4MB 30-pin SIMM to stick into the SoundBlaster 32. Or if there's some way to use 72-pin SIMMs on 30-pin SIMM slots, I have a 16MB 72-pin SIMM I can use.

I think you'll need pairs of SIMMs...

Reply 5 of 9, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ace wrote:

Or if there's some way to use 72-pin SIMMs on 30-pin SIMM slots, I have a 16MB 72-pin SIMM I can use.

Nah - I went down that lane a few years ago and it ended in a dead-end. Only 30-pin ones work. Even the fat ugly ones from old Macs will work. Even if they wont properly fit, they will work fine when you secure them with a rubber band or similar.

Reply 6 of 9, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Macintosh Quadra 700 I could probably steal the RAM from. I will first check to see how much RAM is in the computer as all 4 30-pin SIMM slots on the computer's motherboard are taken, but I don't know how much RAM is in the computer.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ace, think you could post a couple pics of your 2MB 30p simms? ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sure can. You'll have to wait a little while while I recharge the batteries for my digital camera, then I'll have shots of the SIMMs for you.