VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: solved Solution - use slower hardware. Details below, by Amigaz.

I'm testing an 8-bit Creative SoundBlaster 2.0, model CT1350B. I ran the installation software (thanks Malik!), and this has installed a sub folder called FMORGAN inside the SB folder. I then ran fmorgan.exe, and it displays:

Creative FM Intelligent Organ Version 2.01
Error 004: Creative Sound Blaster card not found.

I have run Diagnose.exe, and that all works OK. I changed the card's jumper from IRQ 7, to the default setting of IRQ 5, but that didn't solve the problem. Doom sound and music works, but Quest for Glory 2 does not. It complains: "Unable to initalize your muisic hardware." Any ideas please people? 😀

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-04, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I'm testing an 8-bit Creative SoundBlaster 2.0, model CT1350B. I ran the installation software (thanks Malik!), and this has in […]
Show full quote

I'm testing an 8-bit Creative SoundBlaster 2.0, model CT1350B. I ran the installation software (thanks Malik!), and this has installed a sub folder called FMORGAN inside the SB folder. I then ran fmorgan.exe, and it displays:

Creative FM Intelligent Organ Version 2.01
Error 004: Creative Sound Blaster card not found.

I have run Diagnose.exe, and that all works OK. I changed the card's jumper from IRQ 7, to the default setting of IRQ 5, but that didn't solve the problem. Doom sound and music works, but Quest for Glory 2 does not. It complains: "Unable to initalize your muisic hardware." Any ideas please people? 😀

What hardware are you using the card with? and also have you installed the drivers for the card?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently using this SB 2.0 card inside an i440BX slot 1 mobo. At the C:\ DOS prompt, I ran this command: mem /c /p. It displayed the following two drivers loaded in to memory: CTSB2 and CTMMSYS.

I believe those drivers were inserted in to the config.sys file when I ran the installation package for the CT1350B sound card - and that driver package was downloaded from Malik's "famous" SB driver thread on Vogons.

Reply 3 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope this isn't anything bad - I noticed there is a program inside the SB folder, and it's called SBFMDRV.com I ran it, and it displayed this error message:

Creative Sound Blaster FM-Driver Version 1.34
SB 1.5 / SB 2.0 / MCV 2.0
Driver's I/O address set at 220 Hex

SBFMDRV: Error 0002: FM feature not available on the card.

Reply 4 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I hope this isn't anything bad - I noticed there is a program inside the SB folder, and it's called SBFMDRV.com I ran it, and i […]
Show full quote

I hope this isn't anything bad - I noticed there is a program inside the SB folder, and it's called SBFMDRV.com I ran it, and it displayed this error message:

Creative Sound Blaster FM-Driver Version 1.34
SB 1.5 / SB 2.0 / MCV 2.0
Driver's I/O address set at 220 Hex

SBFMDRV: Error 0002: FM feature not available on the card.

Try the card in a slower motherboard, it smells "too fast hw for such an old card"

Reply 6 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks a lot Amigaz! That worked! 😁 I put the SB card in to a nice and slow 386, and everything works great. Ah, good old 386s. I'm really glad I got one.

"386 stuff is the shit, maaan!" 😁

Cards like the Roland Lapc-I will probably get hickups in that slot 1 mobo too

Reply 8 of 8, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen those exact same problems with the FMOrgan and SBFMDRV.COM on faster PCs (with an SB16 sound card), running on faster PCs.

The fastest PC that I've had success with is an old AMD500... anything faster that I've tried it in was a no-go. Now that I think about it though, I had similar problems in an Intel P233MMX as well, but that one always seemed to run smoother and faster than the AMD500 <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net