VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was reading about these chips recently and it says that they were closely integrated with the chipset so you had to install them in a board that supported all the features. Which boards/chipsets would these be??

On a related note, do the Geode processors based on the MediaGX fit in the same socket?

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's mostly a system-on-chip. Not so much a "CPU" in the most common sense. Apparently they do use Socket 7 but they are not electrically compatible with regular Socket 7 CPUs.

You are probably going to have to look up systems that used the MediaGX or maybe hope to run across combos. It makes the most sense to sell something like this with its motherboard but apparently the two have parted ways in most cases.

Don't know about Geode but some of the early ones were MediaGX with a new name I believe. Later on they transformed into undervolted, underclocked Athlon CPUs.

Reply 2 of 2, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think in "MOST" media gx setups the chip is actually permanently installed to the motherboard. At least all the pictures I've seen are like that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.