VOGONS

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the quad op-amp on my OPTi 82C929A to amplify the sound on its YMF262 has finally bit the dust, and I've looked through boxes upon boxes of broken game consoles and motherboards to try and find the same op-amp. I haven't found the exact same op-amp, an LF347, but I did find two equivalent quad op-amps: the BA10324AF and the LM324M. This is where the major problems come in: with either quad op-amp, at the mixer settings I typically use my 82C929A, I get a MASSIVE amount of distorted FM Synthesis unless I turn down the volume REALLY low to the point of being inaudible. It sounds horrible, let me tell you. It sounds like a mess of static, popping noises and heavily-distorted FM Synthesis. With the BA10324AF, the distortion was so bad I heard a massive mess of distorted FM Synthesis at high volumes and absolutely no FM Synthesis at really low volumes. With the LM324M, it's a different story. I can hear sound just fine at really low volumes, but as soon as I start increasing the volume of the FM Synthesis too much, it gets just as horribly distorted as with the BA10324AF. I've even tried placing multiple different resistors ranging from 15Kohms up to 750Kohms to reduce the volume of the audio coming off the YAC512, but to no avail. The sound is still horribly distorted no matter what resistors I place on the YAC512's outputs. So these are my questions for anyone who's good with electronics:

1) Where should I place the resistors? Between the YAC512's outputs and the LM324M's inputs, between the LM324M's outputs and the inputs on the rest of the audio amp or just before the FM Synthesis enters the Crystal CS4238?
2) What value should the resistors be?

Reply 1 of 3, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=lf347

http://canada.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.js … matchallpartial

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk … s=lf347&x=0&y=0

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 3, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems the bandwidth of the LM324M and BA10324AF is considerably lower than that of the LF347. Well, I could get a replacement LF347 locally, but I'll have to settle for a DIP version of the LF347 as my local electronics shops don't carry very many surface-mount components. I'll go check tomorrow since I most likely won't have time today.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 3 of 3, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds similar too what i encountered a few days ago. When I put my favorite Terratec Midi daughterboard on a Roland MPU-401AT. Obvious clipping in most midi tracks. So I put resistors where the analog signal goes from the DB to the MPU-401AT, up to 15kOhm or something, and that did lower the volume but the distortion remained!? very strange.

With other combinations of hardware both the Terratec Midi daughterboard and the Roland MPU-401AT sound fine.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul