VOGONS

First post, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am posting a link to see if anyone knows what these cpu heatsink fan combo are called.. I think they look cool for a p3 cooler.
link below.

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures.aspx?id=0&prdet=6889789
11366572.jpg

Reply 3 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a gold colored P-III heatsink like that, from thermaltake.
It looks fancy, but one cannot buy a replacement fan for it, so it is not practical at all.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stano wrote:

thanks
needed to jog my memory.
Thermaltake copied the design from HP if I am not mistaken...?

I don't know, but the last time I've seen one of those it was in a HP rp2410 (a PA-RISC computer).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, i think HP used coolers that looked similar in their Alpha based computers. Seems like I can´t find a site that had some info about the Orb and their similarities to HP coolers...

8zszli-6.png

Reply 6 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dig through Frostytech's ancient reviews. Everything ever interesting is in there. 😉

Also, overclockers.com covered interesting heatsinks back in the late '90s/early '00s.

Reply 7 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dans Datas massive cooler comparison page has eight of the Thermaltake Orbs.

Once I was given a Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3 with the 7000 RPM fan. For the weight, looks and noise of the thing I expected it to perform much better than a standard aluminium heatsink, but it really didn't.

Reply 8 of 13, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I have a gold colored P-III heatsink like that, from thermaltake.
It looks fancy, but one cannot buy a replacement fan for it, so it is not practical at all.

The Golden Orb was extremely popular. I kinda miss mine.

The product installation seemed crazy though. You attached it to the motherboard, then with a twisting motion, tighten it down instead of the normal pushing down on the clip. Makes you wonder if it's really good to do that to a CPU with the core exposed, just grinding Arctic Silver into it's surface in a circular motion while the force increases. Swore I heard those little microscopic beads crunching while I twisted towards the end.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spire made coolers that look rather similar also. I got 2 different Spire coolers, one all aluminium, and one with a copper base that's significantly heavier.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they made an upgraded version with a copper base:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermaltake-Copper-Intel- … =item588448c82f

I used a pair on my dual tualatin setup. kept 1.4ghz processors ice cold.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

word of warning though. They are not designed for chips with heatspreaders. I had to modify mine to get it to work on a tualatin. I have a picture of the modification you need to do if anyone cares.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have coolers that look almost identical to these, made by Spire. These coolers have a couple disadvantages compared to the standard square-shaped coolers:
*They are harder to install/uninstall. Also I prefer to use coolers that have mounting clips with 3 attachment points per side. These coolers have 1 end with 3 and 1 end with just 1 mounting hole.
*If the fan is toast? Good luck trying to find a replacement fan that will fit (btw, the fan is removable).
*The Spire coolers I used I didn't find particularly silent.
*For some reason I found them more difficult to mount with lots of caps and other stuff near the socket.
Relatively speaking, when space around the socket is limited, the maximum square coolers you can mount are beefier compared to these circular coolers.
*I didn't find the aluminium Spire coolers to be particularly good at cooling. I like the standard AMD copper based heatsinks a lot more.

But apart from that I got my Spire coolers for like €2 each so meh 😜
And they do look nice 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!