VOGONS

First post, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gave it to my brother a long time ago after I did a major system upgrade.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-5AX. SUper 7 mobo, 3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP slot.

It's a K6-2 450 processor, dual Voodoo2 SLI/Riva TNT video, SB AWE64 gold ISA card. Two PCI slots and two IsA slots empty.

Looks like 192gb system memory, if I'm reading the RAM correctly. Haven't booted it up yet, going to give it a thorough inspection and cleaning before I power it up.

Very pleased to see it again. If I can dig out my old Geforce 4 TI 4200 I think this will be PERFECT for filling that wierd gap between Dosbox and Windows 7; all those games like American McGee's Alice, Revenant, Tron 2.0, Return to Castle Wolfestein that no longer run under Windows 7...

Reply 1 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long time ago I got my old system back from my brother, but he blew it up 🙁

You need more grunt for RTCW, although the game says 400MHz that is just required.

System Requirements
3-D Hardware Accelerator w/ 16mb vRAM and full OpenGL support
400mhz AMD or Intel Processor
Windows 95OSR2/98/98SE/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP Operating System
128mb RAM
16-bit Video mode
800mb Hard Drive space plus 300mb for the Swap File
DirectX 8.0a (included)
DirectX 3.0 Compatible Sound Card
Quad Speed CD-ROM

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GA-5AX is a good board, I'm running one with a K6-III/400 AFR, 256MB memory and Voodoo 2 + TNT2 M64 AGP.

I'd be glad to get such a system myself 😀
The only problem it "may" have is whether it will work with high-power AGP cards, many early AGP boards had troubles with them.
Btw, what revision is your GA-5AX?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIR GA-5AX have 5V AGP 2x slot. Not compatible with 4x/8x videocards, which are 3.3V.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

AFAIR GA-5AX have 5V AGP 2x slot. Not compatible with 4x/8x videocards, which are 3.3V.

What I meant to say is, when AGP was new, people were having problems with stability and high end cards like the TNT2. Apparently the earliest AGP slots had difficulty supplying enough juice to the cards, making the system unstable. This can be worked around by using a PCI card.

I don't think AGP 4x Super 7 boards were ever made, unfortunately. Though this isn't much of an issue, any AGP 8x card would've been overkill for Super 7 anyway 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alice and RTCW will run on your K6-2 w/ 192 Mb & Voodoo2 SLI, though they won't be very playable. There's a particular level on American McGee's Alice where your framerate will drop to single digit FPS with those specs.

Tron 2.0 is in another league: it's a 2003 Lithtech engine game and requires a 500 Mhz P-III or Athlon with 256 Mb and a 32 Mb video card with HW T&L. And these minimum requirements actually mean MINIMUM: Lithtech isn't the most optimized engine ever made, and Tron 2.0 will crawl, if runs at all.

A GeForce4 could improve performance on all those games, but only up to a point where you will hit the CPU bottleneck. And the geforce4 is not even guaranteed to work on that motherboard, as Tetrium said. I don't know how good or bad that ALi chipset is, but I had AGP compatibility issues on a VIA MVP3 motherboard and a K6-III CPU even with a humble ATI Rage 128 Pro.

Reply 7 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

What I meant to say is, when AGP was new, people were having problems with stability and high end cards like the TNT2. Apparently the earliest AGP slots had difficulty supplying enough juice to the cards, making the system unstable. This can be worked around by using a PCI card.

Those are two different problems, indeed: The AGP voltage issue and the AGP power supply issue. I agree that the original poster may only suffer the latter one. AGP specification allows up to 42W of power supply, but video cards usually have an additional power connector when their power consumption at full load is beyond 30W. Early AGP motherboards may fail even at supplying these 30W, and GeForce4 is one of the most powerful AGP cards that still doesn't have an additional power connector, hence the issue.

Reply 10 of 12, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, docs indicate you may be correct about the unsupported AGP 8x cards.

I still haven't fired it up, but I did come across my Geforce 4 4200 TI last night! I'm very pleased with that as well.

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP 8x cards won't even physically fit into an AGP 2x slot (not unless you use a hammer, and even then you'll be up for quite a task 😜)

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are AGP 4x and AGP 8x Geforce4 Ti 4200 cards. AGP 4x definitely will work on your system. AGP 8x should work if they are Universal AGP 3.0 cards. I think all Geforce4 Ti 4200-8X cards are Universal AGP 3.0, but I don't know for sure.

But that's for idle load at best. None of them will run at full load if your motherboard doesn't provide enough power.