VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i just wanna see cpu load and free ram/used ram like in win2k/xp taskmanager, but the sysmon in win98 seems totally inaccurate. after running for some time, sysmon indicates a constant high cpu load(~80%), even when all other programs have been closed. 😠

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean by "all other programs" ? It's quite possible there's some kind of background process running that you haven't closed (such as an antivirus) that is preventing the CPU usage from going to zero.

At any rate, I don't think there's more than one API for getting the CPU load, so while there are many different programs that could potentially read the CPU load, they'll all probably be equally "totally inaccurate". (My favorite was always TClockEx, which hooks into the system tray clock.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2011-04-27, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mysterious CPU load was hardly uncommon back in the day. It's not even necessarily something to worry much about, as it doesn't always mean other programs will start running more slowly. (Doesn't moving the mouse around vigorously generate CPU load?)

You should take a look at Autoruns from http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/3847/ and see if you can determine what is loading at startup that might be causing the problem.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

(Doesn't moving the mouse around vigorously generate CPU load?)

Yeah, I remember a friend of mine had this old 286 computer with DOS and it would lock up if he typed too fast.

😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try either AnVir Task Manager Free or Free Meter

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME