Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know?

Reply 1 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand that S3 Virge is a good chip. Even though I have no experience with Virges in a 486, I have used several Virges in other computers and they are quite compatible 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd have to say a ViRGE or anything based on the Trio64. Any cards designed for 3D gaming are not well suited for a 486, unless if you just use the machine for non 3D-acceleration.

Reply 5 of 12, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Matrox Millenium is my favorite. I also found the PCI version of the Rage XL to run very nicely in Win 3.1 with the Mach64 drivers and it's DOS performance isn't bad. That card can also drive Windows in higher resolutions than most cards you'll find Win 3.1 drivers for.

I have a Virge 325 and it seems to be a great card as well.

Reply 9 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:

i remember there were some pci version of geforce8600, although a bit rare.

You sure you aren't referring to the 8400GS? Anyway, that would be way past overkill for a 486. On top of which, the oldest Windows OS that the GeForce 8 series officially support is XP, which refuses to install on a 486 (and even if it was able to, it'd be only useful for laughs).

Reply 10 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Later Nvidia Cards, like Geforce MX440SE and Geforce 6200A already cripple Vesa/DOS support a little compared to their predecessors TNT2/Geforce2/GeforceMX440 classic.
Using the first two I see garbled colors on the top and bottom of the screen when running PCPBench. Also these two types do not support Vesa CRT refresh rate adjustments (VBEHz).

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found that Riva128 (and 128zx) cards are VERY compatible and fast cards, in fact during my testing I have found them to be as compatible as s3 cards: no modex probs, no weird colors in ega games (like voodoo cards) and VBE3.0 BIOS...
I highly recommend them for pentium machines that need a fast compatible VGA, on 486 they might not have a speed difference than s3 cards...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was wondering the same thing about 6 weeks ago and started this thread,
Fastest PCI graphics card in a 486

If you go to page 2, vlask posted some great comparison bar graphs.