VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After having found this site, I have to say I've been taken on a nice trip down memory lane. Along with the good come a few pangs of sadness for dead or forgotten hardware. So what have you parted with or lost that you wish you could get back. For me the most painful stuff are the parts I had to get rid of over the years due to space constraints.

For me:
1. My first PC. My parents bought a Pentium 100 (we were late adopters, a lot of my friends parents had 486 and even 386 boxes). The mobo was dead and at the time and I figured what would I possibly want to buy an AT board for?

2. My Intergraph Intense 3D voodoo Rush. My first 3d accelerator. It died, I wish I had at least kept it to mount on the wall.

3. A Voodoo3 PCI and a Voodoo3 AGP card. I tossed both of them at two different times when they were in old boxes I was gutting from friends. Man that was so stupid of me. I'll never be that inconsiderate to my fellow enthusiasts again.

4. A Voodoo2 PCI from Creative I got from a dumpster dive. I think it might have been an 8MB, but can't say for sure. I threw my hands up in the air in frustration trying to get it to work right. Silly me, I ended up buying a few V2's years later. At least this one might not have worked right. Judging from the system lock ups under two fresh installs of Windows ME, I would say that's the case.

5. Ati Mach 64 2mb PCI and A 2MB PCI Matrox card. I don't need them right now, but having read on here, I now realize they would have had a home for some of the folks here. Especially that Matrox card. That thing could go toe to to with my Geforce3 at the time 2d wise.

6. Upgradeware socket 423 to 478 adapter. All I can say is wow, that was dumb. They're pretty rare. Then again, I figured I'd never be dropping another Northwood in a socket 423 motherboard since the 423 board I had just died and no one had a 423 board in the first place.

7. Abit VT6X4 motherboard. Jumperless, slot 1, Apollo pro 133A. Need I say more? Oh, it was also the first motherboard I used in a ground-up PC build.

8. Gainward Geforce 4 TI 4600. I should have kept it as a wall hanger. I swear the GF4 TI cards had some mortality issues.

9. EVGA Geforce 256 DDR. My first AGP graphics card.

Looking at this list now, the regrets are pretty much every computer I've ever had dead parts in, or every part I've ever dumpster dived. Maybe this is why I did drastic things like throw out two V3 cards. Otherwise, I'd have ended up with more boxes than space (and I've already got a problem with parts drawers that are over full). It seems some here have simply ignored that inconvenience and embraced the fact that they cannot get rid of a single part without a twinge of remorse. Still, I apologize for having tossed them so hastily. Next time if it's at all worthwhile to anyone, I'll see if maybe someone would take it on a one cent +shipping Ebay auction or something so my conscience is clean when I take it to the curb.

These days I do resort to drastic measures to resurrect even the most mundane of hardware. Re-soldering damaged capacitors, trying to flash bioses, etc.

Reply 1 of 85, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few things I wish didn't die either in my hands or in the previous owner's hands:

-OPTi 82C929A sound card. It still works, but the amp for the YMF262 is completely destroyed. I need to rebuild it.
-All 4 Yamaha sound cards I've come across, which include 2 YMF740s and two YMF724s. All were DOA. The YMF740s were integrated on two Slot 1 motherboards, neither of which POST, so even if the YMF740s were fine, I wouldn't be able to use them. The first YMF724 I got was broken to the point of preventing any and all computers it was plugged into from POSTing. The second YMF724, which I still have and want to fix if I can get any insight as to why the sound card doesn't work properly, is a complete mess. It doesn't prevent computers from POSTing, BUT, the Windows VxD drivers for the sound card fail to detect the YMF724. The Windows 98 WDM drivers work, but I don't hear anything from the YMF724 unless I max out the volume of my speakers, and when I do that, all I hear is completely screwed-up sound. It's the same thing in DOS; with DOS drivers, I can use the card with the same messed-up sound as with the Windows 98 WDM drivers, but when I go into the Yamaha setup program to change settings and whatnot, I get an error message saying "CODEC might not be connected." I don't see how that's possible as I can hear any sound source I feed into the Line In, so the codec should be fine. It does appear as though the YMF724 itself isn't very well soldered onto the sound card from what I can tell(I see a bit of exposed copper under some of the pins). Either way, I'll keep looking around for a 5th Yamaha sound card, be it ISA or PCI(preferably PCI as I'm dying to hear the XG synth in the PCI-based YMF7xx sound cards).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 2 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see it from a practical point of view.

All the stuff I sold back in the day when I was a kid, I used towards getting newer and better hardware. And to be honest, there was no other way. I didn't have much money, so upgrading was only possible if I sold the old stuff.

I also like to point out that you can still get all the stuff for a fraction of what I was able to sell back in the day.

But what is really awesome, is that I can now buy the things I couldn't afford back in the day! All the luxury items like a Roland MT-32 or Vodoo 2 SLI.

Reply 4 of 85, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The piece of hardware that I miss the most... the 3-1/2"--5-1/4" combo floppy drive in this pic (the middle drive) -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100_07.jpg .

Actually, I had two of them, and that one was the second one (after the first one died back in the early '90s).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 5 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish I still had my Tandy 1000, Wang office system, and some old HP computer that I used to have that I am guessing was only partially PC compatible. It was so old I was never able to figure out what OS it ran. No copy of DOS I owned would boot it.

Reply 6 of 85, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Strange how some people have problems with dead hardware all the time and others almost none at all...

Seems to affect ATI graphics cards, Yamaha sound cards and many motherboards for me. A lot of motherboards I get will fail to POST and any broken ATI graphics card and Yamaha sound card I get prevent any and all computers the graphics card are used in from POSTing. Except for that one YMF724 I have now that outputs very faint garbled sound from Windows and DOS and outputs perfect sound out of any source fed into the Line In.

Would anyone have any kind of idea why the YMF724 I have outputs faint and garbled audio in Windows and DOS, yet outputs perfect sound from a source fed into the sound card's Line in? What could trigger the "CODEC might not be connected" error in the DOS setup program?

Reply 7 of 85, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:

The piece of hardware that I miss the most... the 3-1/2"--5-1/4" combo floppy drive in this pic (the middle drive) -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100_07.jpg .

Actually, I had two of them, and that one was the second one (after the first one died back in the early '90s).

That's a nice piece of equipment there!

It reminds me of a IBM branded 486 mid tower I parted with. It had a door you pulled down to get at the 3.5 and 5.25 drives. The door just slid behind the plastic faceplate, but still, it had a sliding door! I should have kept it in retrospect, but my Pentium era machine ran all of the DOS titles I needed to run at the time, and had plug and play hardware. It still would have been too fast for older titles too. Someday I'll consider going for a 386

Reply 8 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A couple things do come to mind:
Years ago I was dumpster diving and found an old VLB 486 with an Ati Mach 64 VLB...and decided to leave it there "as I wasn't gonna use VLB anyway" -_-
Same time period, I found a 486 ISA board with a white socket with "Socket 2" on it...and decided to leave it also 🙁
Couple years ago I saw someone selling 100MBit ISA NIC's and didn't buy all of them, €1 each -_-
I still regret having fried my ASUS A7V333 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
A couple things do come to mind: Years ago I was dumpster diving and found an old VLB 486 with an Ati Mach 64 VLB...and decided […]
Show full quote

A couple things do come to mind:
Years ago I was dumpster diving and found an old VLB 486 with an Ati Mach 64 VLB...and decided to leave it there "as I wasn't gonna use VLB anyway" -_-
Same time period, I found a 486 ISA board with a white socket with "Socket 2" on it...and decided to leave it also 🙁
Couple years ago I saw someone selling 100MBit ISA NIC's and didn't buy all of them, €1 each -_-
I still regret having fried my ASUS A7V333 🙁

I've been looking for a Mach64 VLB. The last one I saw was $150 and there's no way I'm paying that kind of money.

Another thing I regret is finding a TANDY Sensation system complete in boxes with monitor and printer and leaving it behind because I didn't think I'd ever have need of a 486 again. Doh!

Reply 10 of 85, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were a bunch of them on ebay for about 10 bucks each a year ago.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 85, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 286. It was given away when I came back home from junior college after a gap of 1 year. The system in which I played Secret of Monkey Island and Wing Commander like there was no tomorrow. 🙁

It had a Seagate 40MB hard disk and a VGA card (don't know which one).

Luckily I took out my SB 1.5 from the system before leaving for college. I can't remember why I took it out, but now I still have it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 85, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

That's a nice piece of equipment there!

Yeah, I really miss that/those old combo drives... really quite handy when you were short on extrenal 5-14" drive bays. BTW, that pic is from this page -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm (in case you haven't seen it yet <grin>) 😀

SavantStrike wrote:

It reminds me of a IBM branded 486 mid tower I parted with. It had a door you pulled down to get at the 3.5 and 5.25 drives. The door just slid behind the plastic faceplate, but still, it had a sliding door!

I *LOVED* those sliding doors on the older cases that covered the floppy/CD-ROM drives! Kept all of the dust and other such crapola out of them 😀 Heh, when I lived down in Miami (as well as my current locale, out in the woods), dust was/is *ALWAYS* an issue. None of my PCs at the time (or currently) had one of those sliding doors on them...

...hence the chunk of gray foam rubber that can be seen in this pic -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100_01.jpg (same PC/case that had the combo floppy drive in it) 🤣!

Malik wrote:

My 286. It was given away when I came back home from junior college after a gap of 1 year. The system in which I played Secret of Monkey Island and Wing Commander like there was no tomorrow. 🙁 It had a Seagate 40MB hard disk and a VGA card (don't know which one).

I surely miss my old 286... I had two Seagate 40MB MFM hard drives in it, 'twas the envy of all of my PC buddies <grin> 😀 Matter 'o fact, I STLL have that mobo and case packed away up tight somewhere... would have to dig through a ton of taped up boxes to find it again.

Hehe, a "Y2K" story...

Before Y2K, many will remember the big "scares"; "DON'T LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA TO Y2K!"/"BUY THIS UTILITY TO MAKE YOUR PC Y2K COMPATIBLE!", etc...

I always said that the BULK of that was crapola, most PCs (and software) wouldn't have a bit of a problem with Y2K. As a PC tech (a one-man show), I could have made a fortune off of the Y2K scare, but I'd be damned if I was gonna take advantage of folks. So I simply told my customers my opinion on the subject... that most of it was BS.

ANYHOW... I did an experiment in January 1st, 2000 at 1:00AM.

I unboxed that old 286 mobo that at the time hadn't been powered up in YEARS, "bench-rigged" it to a bootable state (along with a DR-DOS bootup floppy), and hit the power button...

...went into BIOS, and hehe, January 1st, 2000 at 1:00AM! Not only was my old 286 Y2K compatible, the CMOS battery was still good and had maintained the correct time and date! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 15 of 85, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh I've seen that page rf 😀. It's like a one man geek fest. Visitors must have to be pried from the door jamb with a crow bar, as surely no one would leave of their on volition.

It sounds like I'm not the only one that's left a 486 out in the cold thinking I would never need it. Small solace for the ones I've rejected though 🙁. They're pricey now too, so it's going to be a while before I could even consider getting one.

Reply 16 of 85, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

Oh I've seen that page rf 😀. It's like a one man geek fest.

Many thanks 🤣!

SavantStrike wrote:

Visitors must have to be pried from the door jamb with a crow bar, as surely no one would leave of their on volition.

🤣! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 17 of 85, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I at least knew what chipsets were in our long gone 386 and its later upgrade to a 486. And the big mystery: what soundcard did I buy from my savings back then?? I will never know...
It is not that I want that hardware back though, I just want to know.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 18 of 85, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish my old Compaq Deskpro (not the one I mentioned in my Pentium II underclocking thread; a different one, and an older model as well (don't know which though)) hadn't died in 2005. I think its onboard Matrox Mystique 2mb died. I may have wanted to add a video card to get it running again (would that have worked anyway?) but didn't. I think it had a Pentium II 233, 128mb RAM, and an ISA ESS 1868 Audiodrive.

Also at times I wish I still had an old AST Advantage!. I can't remember much about it, but I still have the disc and the manuals. I believe it had a 486 (speed unknown), onboard video (unknown type and RAM) and a Sound Blaster Vibra 16. I believe it got given away and soon after I received the aforementioned Compaq Deskpro. I don't know how much RAM it had.

Reply 19 of 85, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm. had bad caps in a Slot A MSI board that I let go. Regret that.

I also have a dead Asus TUSCL-2 mobo. and 2x Abit BE6-II i440BX boards that died. All sad!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME