VOGONS

Reply 60 of 85, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I threw away a Phillips all in one pc, 14" screen, ps2 ports, cyrix 5x86, 36meg ram, 850mb hard disk.

Actually the only thing I regret throwing away is the cyrix 5x86-100 cpu and the ram, it would come in handy, I cant remember what I did with a Voodoo2 12mb, probably gave it away but at least I kept the Voodoo3.

Reply 65 of 85, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

V6K.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~neurocrash/images … V6K%20Front.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~neurocrash/images/V6K%20Back.jpg

Last edited by crash. on 2012-09-05, 22:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 66 of 85, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel like I'm looking at an adult magazine for the first time... It looks like there are 2 caps ripped off. C17 & C13 have you tried to replace them? I'd be more than happy to do it for you. seriously.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 68 of 85, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, if you google image search it seems most V5 6000's don't have those caps installed.

But in any case, that card is too rare to simply let it die, surely there is still someone around that can do repairs...

I also found this, 😳
oY4Ru.jpg

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 69 of 85, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume that these caps were deemed unnecessary at some point in the testing phase, or at least for certain versions of the card (there were several). This card was originally repaired by one of the 3Dfx engineers in 2003 (I think) and worked until recently. The solder pads for those caps are clean and there were no pins currently or formerly apparent. The symptoms of the malfunction are screen corruption and hang when a game is started, which most likely indicates a failed memory IC. The only person I have found that is able to replace one of these is in another country, unless I send it to a generic PCB rework company who would not be able to test it. In any case, it is heartbreaking and generally irreplaceable. There are a few guys that own a stack of these cards, which also hurts.

Reply 70 of 85, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where are you located?
If you look on www.amibay.com there are several people there that can do intricate board level repairs, including replacing surface mount IC's and even CPU's. The most common repair/mod they perform is desoldering the 68040 CPU on an Amiga accelerator and replacing it with a 68060.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 71 of 85, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honolulu - the problem is that this card is very picky about which motherboards it is compatible with, so it would have to be tested by someone that has a system which is known to support this card. For example, I have Voodoo5 5500 cards that don't work with the motherboard that is compatible with the Voodoo5 6000. I literally had to buy three motherboards before I found one that had the right kind of slot and also actually booted with this card. I would probably have to ship an entire computer and some motherboards to someone if they don't already have a Voodoo5 6000 of their own. Sigh

Reply 73 of 85, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SavantStrike wrote:

So what have you parted with or lost that you wish you could get back.

Two Media Vision cards:

- A Pro Movie Spectrum which captured directly into MSV1 format and had a DOS player (sold it to a coworker)

- A Pro Audio Studio 3D card (Pro Audio Spectrum-compatible that had a 3D/surround/reverb module built-in). I might be munging the name of the card a bit, but it was definitely a Media Vision card circa 1995 or later and definitely had those extra features. I don't know what happened to it; it just disappeared 🙁

Reply 74 of 85, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@DonutKing, when I saw all the Voodoo 5 6000's, I couldn't help but think- "You must choose. But choose wisely! For as the compatible motherboard will bring your card life, the false motherboard...will take it from you." Indiana Jones moment there. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 75 of 85, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once used a dual tualatin board as my home server. I sold it because I thought I would never need it. Finally one comes to ebay and look how much it sells for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360492640866 $325. I'm so sad right now.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 76 of 85, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What didn't deserve to die were for me a Pentium II board which I got from someone and repaired it,so much time of work,destroyed in seconds:depressed:
Another one was a LuckyTech P5MVP3 which died after a broken capacitor.So sad,it was my first ever custom built PC and it died.😵

Reply 78 of 85, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My biggest disposal regret is my old IBM PC300. It had 64 MB of RAM, a Pentium MMX 233, a good mix of PCI and ISA slots and one of the most elegant white desktop cases of the late 90s. As for hardware death, my biggest regert is the death of my Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard.

Reply 79 of 85, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the Creative Multimedia Upgrade Kit with SB Pro 2.0 and 1x CDROM, a regular Sound Blaster and an earlier model SB Pro all complete in the box until about 2007. I can't remember what I did with them TBH... I got rid of a lot of stuff that year because I was sick of moving it from apartment to apartment. I had a pretty clean 486, the Acer 386 I posted earlier on this thread, a Sun Sparc 2, a Sparc 5, a 19" Sparc monitor, an Apple IIe with Duodisk, an Amiga 500 (sigh), two earlier macs, a PowerPC 9500, and an Atari ST monitor (was planning on getting a Falcon). Around the same time I got rid of all my Sega hardware (all consoles + Nomad), an Atari 2600 + 7800, and a ton of assorted games / accessories. I traded in the console stuff for a 360 Elite and one game.