VOGONS

Reply 40 of 85, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-My AGP card I got for my birthday years back- BFG Tech 7800 GS, 256 MB. It was the first card I ever played Doom 3 on.

-The two Asus A7N8X-X boards I lost to lightning strikes and a bad resistor, those were expensive at the time.

-My AWE64 card, that got given away by my family with an older computer

-My original Craig radio that came with the DeLorean 🤣 with a tape deck

R.I.P. old hardware *sniff* we will always remember you...

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 41 of 85, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Threw out a perfectly good HP Vectra 33N. 486SX-33 (Upgraded to a 486DX-33) with a Sound Blaster 16 multimedia kit. Still kicking myself to this day. 🙁

Reply 42 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
The best version of Donkey Kong on an 8bit machine is on the TRS CoCo3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQgd5p-Z5DY […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

I still say the best version of Donkey Kong on any computer back then was the TI99/4A version.

The best version of Donkey Kong on an 8bit machine is on the TRS CoCo3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQgd5p-Z5DY

Yes, it's real. 🤣

If this is a CoCo3, it's not a standard one and this version of Donkey Kong didn't exist back in the 80's or I would have bought it. This must be an upgraded CoCo3 with the Hitachi 6309 CPU and 512k RAM.

Here's his website. It is a 512k machine which wasn't possible back then. Those upgrades didn't come out until much later.

http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/dk/

Reply 43 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I managed to blow up my 865PE + 6800GT setup a few months back. I didn't screw in the AGP card because I had just swapped another out and was doing something that I can't recall. The card came halfway out of the slot and shorted.

Grey magic smoke poof + BBQ traces + pretty orange illumination = Teh Ooops.

Killing a 6800GT and a 865PE board at the same time!?!! This will haunt me for the rest of my life!!!! 😉

Reply 45 of 85, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

That kind of thing can scar you for life.

My latest hardware death: having removed it while I got some other bits working I put my mirosound pcm20 back in my 386. It's lifeless 😢.

ESD, or dirty contacts? Try cleaning.

If not, that's sad 🙁.

Reply 46 of 85, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it's dirty contacts on the card but I'm not giving up on it completely. This motherboard has done this kind of thing in the past, with other cards, in various slots, though everything else is fine right now, including in the slots I used the pcm20 in.

Edit: looks like my tale of the pcm20's demise was exaggerated, it's working fine elsewhere now 😀.

Reply 48 of 85, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. A fully functional IBM PS/2 Model 30. 286 with 1 mb of RAM, 30MB harddrive and lots of good memories. My parents gave it to recycling when we moved to a new house when I was 13. They asked me if we should keep it and I said "naaah"....
2. A Soundblaster AWE-32 that I threw away
3. My 440bx system from 2000. Sold it two years later and used the money to buy a new Socket A system.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 50 of 85, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Managed to kill one of those Packard Bell Pentium II/III motherboards that has an integrated 8MB Voodoo 3 2000. Whoops.

It still works but there is corruption all over the display. 😜

Oh and I clearly remember my brother throwing out an AdLib because the audio socket got a jack jammed in it.

Reply 51 of 85, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

My biggest loss was my Abit KT7A non-raid motherboard and Athlon XP 2000+ CPU; it ran for a number of years until last November, when I turned the computer on one morning and left the room for 15 minutes to make breakfast. When I came back to continue, the computer was off, there was faint white smoke, and the undeniable smell of barbecued electronic chips. Needless to say, my heart sank, and I uttered the phrase in my sig in a low, trembling voice.

Nevertheless, I quickly regained my composure and went about rebuilding my computer from scratch. It's now a Pentium 4 setup and works very well, but I still miss my old Athlon XP 🙁 .

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 52 of 85, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boy this thread is really depressing 😢 how can you cope with the pain, "oh the pain..." 🤣

My ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with a Mobile version of Athlon XP 2000+ went to sleep a few years ago after I tried to install some AGP card with higher voltage than the FX5200 it had.

It's still sleeping and sometimes a take a sad look at it (sigh)

Oh, oh, and one time I spend a lot of cash with a modular PSU (you connected only the cables you needed) and then I lost the cables (the whole set), went back to the store only to discover they did not sell cables by them selfs 😵

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 53 of 85, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cover to my IBM 5162 was "misplaced" during a spontaneous cleanup...
Considering how much I need the money now and how much they tend do go for I'm still kicking myself for not moving it somewhere safe the second I saw it.

Reply 54 of 85, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adlib sound card. Original, not a clone. Not one of the early cheap-looking cards with dark green solder mask, but the later clean-looking with light green solder mask.

I think I never had original drivers for it though. Sold it to a friend because I had no need for it.

On top of that, my SB 1.5 I think, it had the OPL2 chip like Adlib and those empty CMS chip slots, and it did not need the PAL chip the later SB cards did.

Don't know where it went.

Fortunately I have some SB 2.0 that has OPL2 and those empty CMS chip slots, I just don't have the PAL chips, while I might have a PAL programmer.

Reply 55 of 85, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a new Gigabyte HD 5670, which died in a month. I waited 2 months to get it repaired and then the guy at the workshop said "Paul, just give the guy damn new card, It's not repairable anyway". That sucked. Ended up with MSI HD5670 which still has some tiny flaws, but is working well.

Reply 56 of 85, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's only one piece of hardware I regret parting with; the first motherboard I bought myself, an Abit BH6.

Still have my Celly 300A but damn, I miss that motherboard.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 57 of 85, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is nothing I regret selling, however there are plenty of things I regret buying. There are also some things I regret not buying.
The only thing I regret breaking is this nice 1.2GB Quantum Fireball 3.5" HDD. Damn that thing was a great drive for older systems (and quiet too).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 58 of 85, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, not sure if this counts, but... my optical mouse(used daily) that I bought used on ebay 7 years ago for $3, suddenly started to be unresponsive yesterday, then working, then dead again, and it now seems it has met its maker... 😵
(not literally, it's a Microsoft mouse...but..)

At first I thought it might be a virus/hack, but tested on other PC and still dead.

I am somewhat surprised and worried, didn't expect these things to break!
So I wonder how long my 15 others of the exact same model will last... 🤣

(this is the first ever optical mouse from MS, 1999 model - I like the old fashioned shape, sue me...)

Now, the very FIRST one of these I bought, and paid.... USD $140!! for in January 1999, still works fine though - fingers crossed. 😳

AND... when it rains...

I also suddenly discovered that my 1987 IBM model M keyboard has finally crumbled(literally!) under the constant abuse...

The black plastic shell/tube holding/housing the key stem/spring of 1 of the arrow keys has gotten relatively large 'splinters' worn/torn off somehow(top edge/UNDER the key top!), leaving a partly very jagged edge.
Feels more 'sticky' when I press it now...

Where will this decay end ?! 😕

Reply 59 of 85, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thins I shouldn't have sold:

#1: Complete TI-99/4a setup. I mean 99% COMPLETE.
#2: Asus NCCH-DL and sapphire 3850 agp card

Things I wish still worked:

#1 my old Asus P3B-F
#2 my mind

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.