VOGONS

Reply 80 of 85, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1) Wang 725-7951-US keyboard
This came with our first x86 PC, a low end Wang "Exec" 386SX 16MHz. That was the keyboard I first became a decent typist with, and to this day I still can't type as well on anything else. I kept using that keyboard for years, but eventually the space bar got physically broken, and now some other keys have stopped working. I wish I could find another one.

2) Intel Performance/AU 450KX chipset Pentium Pro motherboard. I posted a thread about this board about 2-3 weeks ago. It was working perfectly, but several years ago I short sightedly decided to scrap components off of it. Now I regret that, it's an interesting board and has an unusual chipset. I'd love to use it for a retro system dual booting DOS/NT4. I nearly got all of it put back together but hit a snag with a missing mosfet, as I have no idea what part number was originally installed there.

3) Just as a curiosity, I wish I hadn't tossed my crappy 486 board (pictured below).
This was the first home-build I ever attempted, and it was terribly unstable. I fiddled with settings but I was ignorant. Now that I'm more experienced I wish I could take another shot at stabilizing it.
Just a few years ago, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html
I'd say it's the same board, but mine had sockets and the almighty 8DY chipset is covered by a "PC Chips" sticker instead of a forged brand. I still have the cache chips, I'm curious to find out someday if they're real.

4) early model Sega CD. My parents managed to get one of these as a Christmas gift when they were first released, and in retrospect it's the only first-batch console I've ever owned. It died twice, and the 2nd time I tossed it out. I now realize it probably just needed a fuse.

Attachments

• 486board.jpg
    Filename
    486board.jpg
    File size
    68.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 81 of 85, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sold a Dell CPX-H laptop recently. It had a Coppermine P3 500MHz and some name brand graphics chip. It would've been perfect for the DOS gaming I've been wanting to do - but I've also been trying desperately to sell things and that was the first to go.

I also wish I knew where my SB32 went. It was maxed out at 8MB of RAM. I composed some pretty awesome music with that thing.

Reply 82 of 85, by QlShdR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There were quite a few regrets in my "career" so far. I'll try to list stuff in timely order (when I parted with them, not their "active" time period).

Regret parting:

My NES. No further explanation is needed.

My first ever config (AMD 386 DX-40 w/o coprocessor, 4 (8 ) MB SIMM, Trident 8900C 512 KB (1MB), 3.5" Floppy drive, 80 MB Conner HDD, PC speaker, old-school but quite classy AT-case). The reasons are at least somewhat clear I presume.

Then

Voodoo2 Vulcan G 12 MB: Was my first 3D accelerator, assisting an 8 MB integrated SiS card in a CeleronA 333 system. As it's name suggests, it was literally a really hot board, but this thermal condition didn't hinder its awesome performance in games like Quake III Arena, Need for Speed: High Stakes & Porsche Unleashed and Final Fantasy VIII.

Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT 64 MB AGP: I had this little beauty only for a couple of days and the price I paid for it was ridiculously cheap. I didn't use it, because at the time (it was 2005 I believe), I had a much better VGA, so I just plainly sold it within a week. Still regreting.

Sapphire Radeon X1950 XTX 512 MB + Thermalright HR-03: This red monster only spent a few days in my possession. I sold it for a good sum and bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 2900 PRO 512 MB instead, for exactly the same price.
However I still regret it, because the X1950XTX is ATi's top DX9 card and that Thermalright cooler with its 12 cm silent fan was quite exclusive (~60 $ ) and efficient. Not to mention it looked badass. Would still buy it for the main rig.

Sapphire Radeon HD 2900 PRO 512 MB 256 bit: I had this card, three times and I sold it three times as well. It was a powerhouse, looked awesome, performed excellently. Would still buy it for the main rig.

Abit AW8-MAX + Intel Pentium D965 EE 3.73 GHz, 2x2 MB L2, HT: Awesome, top-notch i955x motherboard, looked really hardcore as well and it had a HUGE box which contained a tons of goodies (back in the days, high-end Abit boards had especially nice boxes and a big pile of accessories; I couldn't help loving them).
The quite rare (and expensive) CPU was the crown on the top of the rig's head. 130 W TDP, 4 threads, brute-force muscle computing with temperatures enough to fry an egg under heavy load. Oh yes, the legend.
I scrounged both the motherboard and the D965EE for a ridiculously low price and sold it after ~2 weeks, for double the price I bought it - but it was STILL a bargain for the new owner. I really regret selling them.

AOpen AX4SPE-UN + Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Northwood (HT) + Cooler Master Silence + 4x256 MB Hynix D43 + Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512 MB GDDR3 AGP: I loved this rig SO MUCH. It had really surprising 3D performance (for example: Fallout 3 on mid-high(!) settings, 800 x 600, 2xAA, playing around with fades ---> decent 30-35 fps) and could play most of the 1080p Blu-ray rips just fine. Was really stable, had quality components, looked nice and it had a SOUL.
So much regret here..

[It's better to get a DFC tomorrow than having a thousand boings today.]::[Sweeet nymphets from dusk 'till dawn. <333]::[MIPS under the pillow]::[3dfx Glide & Silicon Graphics <3]--->X-MAS IS NOT HAPPY WITH A SLEDGE IN YOUR SPINE.

Reply 83 of 85, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have ASUS P2B-F which is 440BX mobo, I don't want it die. And I have HP Vectra VL600 which I should keep the RAM because it was RDRAM that very hard to find. If this RAM was dead, I was regret it.

And I have Maxtor DiamondMax HDD which it has all old file include photos when I was young. Unfortunately it was dead so I can't backup them 🙁

My GeForce MX4000, my first AGP video card which included on my 2006 PC. It was dead because I reheating them.

Reply 84 of 85, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
northernosprey02 wrote:

I have ASUS P2B-F which is 440BX mobo, I don't want it die.

The P2B-F is truly an excellent board.
At one time I had 4 P2B-F's, and 2 P3B-Fs. I needed to build 2 systems and sell the rest of the boards.
So I started testing them, and the 2 most stable boards for overclocking were both P2B-Fs. I kept one and gave the other to a relative. Both were stable at 140FSB but were set to 133FSB for actual use.
Mine was pretty much maxed out with 1GB PC133 CL2 RAM and a Ti4200. But for sound, I went retro with a SB Vibra16 OPL3 card. 😀 In fact I picked that card based on a long thread I saw here on VOGONS some years ago, discussing the best Sound Blaster models.

I came to the P2B-F after it was considered obsolete, around maybe 2005 or so. It was my main desktop PC for 1-2 years and I loved it.
I was sad to find when I took it out of storage more recently, it wouldn't power up anymore. I have no idea what happened to it. I hope yours stays with you.

Reply 85 of 85, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AT power supplies... The only one I could use in my tower case started to make to make faint clicking sounds and smell like molten solder and burned components when i was testing my Chaintech 486spm that was repaired the day before...

Apparently -name of deity here- / fate / karma does not want me to have a working 486.

So that leaves me with the PSU in my 386 I was planning on getting to run after my 486 was sorted out, another PSU with stupidly short cables, and the PSU that came with my tower case that I do not trust...

Another thing is that I have no way of testing my PSU's makes things even better! And getting another second-hand AT PSU that may very well kill my hardware is not very tempting. And yes I know that I could use an ATX supply with a cable adapter and that the -5 volt is not that crucial.

So right now I am pretty sick and tired of almost getting something to work before I get stuck or it blows up in my face. Even more so after almost working a DECADE to get ONE bloody 486...

/Rant