VOGONS

PCI graphics in windows 95

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 22, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider, thank you for putting this right. I probably should have added AFAIR/AFAIK. Iris030380 even mentioned that the system he took the card from has an AGP slot so I didn't question myself.

In fact I have never seen a Trio3D PCI on Ebay or in real life. They seem to be quite rare.

Of course AGP capable chips can be used on PCI cards, and of course it makes sense to stop producing older chips and use the same chips for both AGP and PCI cards. I just assumed that S3 saw no market for a Trio3D PCI so they didn't even make the effort to create a design.

Reply 22 of 22, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Trio3D is one of the last ViRGE derivates, just labeled Trio instead of ViRGE because the bad reputation of the ViRGE name aka "graphics deceleractor". The most common version is the "Trio3D/2x" which is indeed a AGP card. But most important, the 2D Core based on the TrioV2/DX still remains and is great for DOS.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.