VOGONS

Tillamook

Topic actions

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased a CPU for a dollar from another forum I frequent.

It's a 233MHz Tillamook, with a 1.9v core voltage.

Trouble is my PC Partner motherboard's lowest official voltage is 2.7v.

So I guess my question is: If I attach a decent cooler, will the CPU survive being run at 233MHz at 2.7v?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 76, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its supposed to run on 2.8v ^.^ go nuts!

The fact that it specifies a 1.9V core voltage would imply that it's not supposed to run on 2.8V. And given that the Tillamook uses a smaller process than the regular P55C chips(0.28u versus 0.35u), it's likely to be considerably more sensitive to voltages, too.

I think it would be a very bad idea to try it. You could probably get away with 2.2 or 2.3V, but 2.7V seems pretty dangerous even with a good cooler.

Reply 3 of 76, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh i was thinking the desktop chips...

the v I/O is also 2.2V on the tillamooks... yea your not going to be able to run a mobile processor in a desktop board. not any desktop board i've ever seen.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 76, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So does this Tillamook come in a PGA package? All the tillamooks I've seen (all 1 of them 😜 ) are mounted on a board with the connector in two rows rather than pins.

Can't answer your voltage question. I'm currently running a 3.3V DX4-100 at 5V and its been going for a month without exploding (touch wood) although that's not really relevant, since the larger manufacturing process of the 486 is probably more tolerant to higher operating voltages than the Tillamook,

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://i.imgur.com/7kyBW.jpg

It's the bottom left chip. I checked it out on cpu-world and it's definitely Socket 7, just 1.9v and apparently useless.

Oh well, it was only $1. 😜

Reply 6 of 76, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there's no way you are going to get a cooler on that chip... not with those caps on the top. its still a cool chip! all you need to find is a motherboard that have a 1.8v core support and lets you have a heat sink under the socket. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 76, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

he could try to place a small piece of metal (like a lapped coin) between the CPU and the heatsink, in order not to disturb the caps 😀 using thermal grease on both sides, of course...

Reply 8 of 76, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have a 233mhz chip in that same style pulled from an old WinBook. The chip I had, however, had heat spreaders on top and under the cpu that were held on by two screws and I had no trouble putting a heatsink on the chip.

Reply 9 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are Tillamooks that came in PPGA package (the black package that the later Pentiums and easy PGA Celerons came in), they look exactly like the Pentium MMX's except for the print on the bottom between the pins.

They should work in Super 7 boards, but theres no guarantee they will work

Edit:It's sspec is SL2Z4 btw 😉
Theres 1 seller selling them for $20 each or so? Not very cheap but at least they are available

Edit2:
Pic (not mine): http://www.chipdb.org/img-intel-pentium-fv805 … -sl2z4-1284.htm

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What board is it???

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a PC Partner VIB876S, VIA MVP4 chipset.

Manual: http://www.pcpartner.com/support/man/via/887602.pdf

I used the clock and ratio settings for a normal 233 MMX, but used the 1.9v setting from the end of the manual.

Reply 13 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

It is a PC Partner VIB876S, VIA MVP4 chipset.

Manual: http://www.pcpartner.com/support/man/via/887602.pdf

I used the clock and ratio settings for a normal 233 MMX, but used the 1.9v setting from the end of the manual.

You may have just started a trend of putting mobile CPU's in desktop boards. Everybody is going to be trying it now.

Reply 14 of 76, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered one of these a week ago, I bet it will take 300mhz easy with little bump to the volts, and I have heard rumors they can work at 400. I strongly suspect that all of the non-tilly pentiums are in fact at the .35u process, since it is only these mobile ones that take the 1.9v setting, indicating that they use .28u, which will be much more overclocking friendly.

Honestly I'm surprised no one else in the 300mhz thread has picked one of these up, as popular as that project became.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 16 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Has anyone seen a 300mhz that fits in a s7 motherboard?

Don't think they exist.
Btw, I do have a Tillamook rig planned, but it hasn't come to actually building it.
I got 3 Tillamook 266's waiting to be tested first 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 76, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does your MVP4 board automatically disable the L2 cache, or is it still active? Could you test it?

Because the MVP3 chipsets won't boot with the 266 Tillamook until you disable the L2 cache, which makes the overclocking possibilities of this CPU (400MHz is doable) null and void, because the performance is terrible.

::42::

Reply 18 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, so I got a "You might have FAKE CHIPS" message from CACHECHK on the PC Partner motherboard... but check this out:

984819b6.jpg

The new motherboard is a Jetway (?) J-TX98B. It has an integrated CMI8330 !!!!

Also, the CPU runs at 2.1v no issues. This board doesn't appear to do 1.8 or 1.9v.

Reply 19 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mystery wrote:

Because the MVP3 chipsets won't boot with the 266 Tillamook until you disable the L2 cache

Any idea about the ALI ones?

Report spammers here!