Rank

K6-2 500Mhz
256MB PC133 SDR
2xVooDoo 2 8mb PCI SLI
Creative AWE64 ISA
2x20GB UDMA HD
DVD-ROM
Win98SE + service pack

Question is, running with the TNT2 M64 for now but can't decide what AGP card to drop in permanent with the VooDoo's. The M64 gave a murky screen with poor text in Windows, but I expected this of a low end card. My choices are ...

ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP
Creative TNT2 Ultra AGP
S3 Trio DX AGP (want to avoid as it's much older than the PC's other parts)
Geforce MX400 AGP (want to avoid as it's overpowered for the rest of PC)
ATI Rage XL AGP

Any opinions?

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Screen quality depends also on the manufacturer of the graphics card.
Anyway, if you have one, have you tried a Diamond Viper V550 TNT1 card?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 11, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The TNT2 Ultra or GeForce2 MX 400 would probably be the closest matches. At the end of '99 these were the typical choices (with the GF2 MX 400's performance being nearly identical to that of a GeForce 256 SDR) for a high-end PIII or Athlon system.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 4 of 11, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it's any help, my MX400 runs beautifully alongside my V2's.

If it's one of the cards without a heatsink, I recommend you put a sink on it though. The things can get hot enough to burn you, or in this case, to heat the heck out of the cards next to them.

When you say the screen was murky, did you try running the M64 straight to the monitor (not fed through the V2's)? Sometimes that short VGA cable used to bridge between the main card and the 1st Voodoo2 can be dodgy. If you find that it is, I can recommend the cable I settled on if I can find a link. It's so thick it almost makes the AGP card want to come out of it's slot, but I can jack the resolution all the way up to 1080P via pass through and it still looks clear. No thumbscrews on the video card side though.

Reply 5 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the TNT2 Ultra. It also has official Win3.x driver support (via TNT1 driver) for higher res. and colours. Runs less hot than a MX400.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 11, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

I like the TNT2 Ultra. It also has official Win3.x driver support (via TNT1 driver) for higher res. and colours. Runs less hot than a MX400.

I would second this, but the OP said the picture was muddy.

My bet is still that it's the pass through cable mucking things up though, unless the TNT2 is dying.

Reply 8 of 11, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

He said his TNT2 M64 was blurry, not the Ultra.

*smacks forehead* He's got two TNT's, I totally didn't catch that.

Then I agree, just ditch the M64, but at least check to make sure the card was bad first. I don't remember a single time when I had bad picture that it wasn't video cable related unless I had a checkerboard pattern and it was clear the card was dying or dead. They always seem to fail spectacularly.

Reply 10 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would put either the TNT2 Ultra or the 440MX card, whichever gave me the best image...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 11, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also go for TNT2 ultra - especially if its from a good manufacturer (Asus for example), or S3 - for compatibility purposes. Even better, I would ask around for a Matrox - its awesome card to have for 2D (you got Voodoo for 3D) 😀

BTW, are you sure the image is muddy because of the AGP card? You do know that any resolution >1024x768 will be muddy when connected through V2 because of the pass-through cable, especially with higher refresh rates! Try connecting the AGP card directly to monitor and see for yourself.