VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note: This is an updated thread on the ALS4000 sound card. The previous thread title has been changed because there were other discussions that are of different focus and I thought those matters required a separate thread title.

The following first 7 screenshots are new additions to the old thread. The original post will follow after that.

The ALS4000 has it's own Dos installation program :
5694497445_d49eccbb78_b.jpg

You can change the required settings here:
5695067790_8a5d01fb82_b.jpg

The installer makes the following changes in the autoexec.bat file:
5695068662_8597e373e5_b.jpg

The contents of the als4k folder after installation:
5694491771_db9df41609_b.jpg

The output screen of the official initializer:
5695065860_e874673c5c_b.jpg

The memory footprint of the initializer (works either with xms or ems):
5694494207_d6b6aea6cf_b.jpg
Very little memory footprint. A good plus for the card.

The Sierra installation screen (from QFG1VGA) :
5695065048_8a581e0689_b.jpg
Note that the wavetable music is "detected" but I'm unable to invoke the OPL4 for this purpose. Yet.

Some information about the ALS4000 PCI card in the light of Sound Blaster compatibility in PCI-based DOS in newer systems.

After reading about ALS4000's Sound Blaster compatibility, I ordered an ALS4000 from Germany for less than 10 Euros.

5622873801_31cab4ccef_b.jpg

I have a system not used regularly in my room -

5623459628_a2d5736db2_b.jpg

System specs :

ASRock 775i65G Mainboard (Socket 775, AGP8X slot)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz CPU
512MB DDR400 RAM (Single module, Single channel)
320GB WD HDD
Voodoo3 PCI 16MB
D-Link Xtreme G wireless pci card
ALS4000 PCI soundcard

5622872233_b8cab7e77d_b.jpg

Partitioned the drive to :

a. /dev/sda1 - ~40GB FAT32 LBA for FreeDOS
b. /dev/sda2 - ~80GB FAT32 LBA for Win9x (reserved, haven't installed yet.)
c. /dev/sda3 - ~190GB ext4 for linux
d. /dev/sda4 - 4GB for linux-swap

There are two sets of drivers for ALS4000 that I have downloaded from various sites and put them in one place. There is also one simple archive called ALS4KDOS, which has a ALSK4DOS.EXE file which initializes the sound card. It takes no memory whatsoever. Doesn't matter if you have EMS or XMS alone.

The initialization screen :
5623457746_b84487e0bb_b.jpg
Note the "Use LEGACY DMA mode".

FreeDOS mem/c/p command (no als4kdos footprint)
5623461290_811bb2eaa7_b.jpg

Due to the new installation and shortage of time to test, (it was past midnight), I just did a quick run with my games backup cds :

1. Sierra's Leisure Suit Larry 3 : Works!

5623462082_e18f21cd5f_b.jpg

2. Westwood's Legend of Kyrandia : Works!

5622870151_81faf6e945_b.jpg

3. Warcraft 1 : Fail.

Maybe something to do with protected mode games. I need to test with more "newer dos games".

Resources :

1. ALS4000 Dos-Win9x Drivers

2.ALS4KDOS Initializer

Note :- You do not need the drivers to use the card in dos. The init. file suffice. (The ALS4KDOS.EXE is only 210kb in size, and does not reside in memory)

saka wrote:
ALS4000 DOS initializer by saka <als4k@anet.ne.jp> […]
Show full quote

ALS4000 DOS initializer by saka <als4k@anet.ne.jp>

ALS4000 sound chip have SBPro/SB16 compatible function in hardware (only 8bit-DMA, VIBRA16 compatible).
We need no TSR, no HIMEM.SYS, no EMM386.EXE for SB compatibility.

# Usage

Keep interrupt 5 or 7 (or 10, 11) free, and set the IRQ number to ALS4KDOS.CFG.

Run als4kdos.exe from prompt in pure DOS,
or
run it in autoexec.bat.

example of autoexec.bat
---
SET PATH=C:\foo;D:\bar;

als4kdos.exe
call a4setenv.bat

---
(als4kdos.exe will create "a4setenv.bat")

# following chipsets work
AMD 750
AMD 761 / VIA VT82C686B (tested by Q)
Intel 430TX
Intel 440BX
SiS 630
SiS 730
SiS 735
SiS 745
SiS650 / SiS961
VIA ApolloPro133
VIA PLE133

# probably will work
SiS 540/630/730 or later
VIA ApolloPro/PLE/KLE/KT133 or later

# NOT work
Intel i810
Intel i815 (tested by NOG)

# will NOT work
Intel i810 or later

(Intel i810 or later do not support Distributed DMA for legacy DMA support for PCI.
If you want SBPro function in pure DOS on Intel i8xx based motherboard, try Fortemedia FM801.
FM801's writeback DMA emulation method may work on Intel i8xx.)

# unknown
ALi
ATI
NVIDIA

---
2002/9/14
SiS0008 detection for SiS961 (and also 962/963).

As you can see from above, the readme says that "intel 810" and above "will not work". but my motherboard has i865chipset and it works!

More tests to follow.....

As I said, it was a good night! 😁

Edit : I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 in the linux partition for downloading and general use with this system. Puppy linux is great! Oh, I was listening to CD audio through the ALS4000 last night using Puppy's audio player. It's very nice of linux to load all the required drivers - for the ALS4000 and even for the wireless cards from the first load!

Sierra games work - all the SCI work.

Tried so far :

1. LSL3 - works
2. QFG1VGA - works, even without the gosierra.exe timer bug patch
3. SQ4 - works, but requires the timer bug patch for fast systems

The readme file for als4000 says that the chipsets i810 and later "do NOT work". But my system is a i865 chipset and it still works. Maybe I should drop a note to him (saka) that it works in this chipset. Maybe he can do something for faster systems, looking at the portential of this als4000 chip.

From official ALS4000 user guide :

Hardware/Software Features • High performance VLSI sound ASIC • Compatible with DirectSound™, DirectSound3D™, Blaster™, Sound Bl […]
Show full quote

Hardware/Software Features
• High performance VLSI sound ASIC
• Compatible with DirectSound™, DirectSound3D™, Blaster™, Sound Blaster
Pro™, and Sound Blaster 16 Emulation.
• PC98 Specifications Compliant
• Avance ALSFM Synthesizer
• PCI Power Management Interface(PPMI) Compliant
• PCI Bus Master for PCI Audio/PCI 2.1/2.2 Compliant PCI Interface
• Supports DDMA, Avance Legacy Support for legacy DMAC Emulation
• 64-Voice Wavetable Synthesis w/ DLS-1 Support
• Supports Sound Blaster ADPCM decompression
• 3D Effect Sound
• Enhanced Normal & Digital Game Port Support
• 16-Bit Full-duplex for Concurrent Recording and Playback
• Single Crystal Operation(14.318Mhz)
• 5.0V Digital/Analog Mode

Built-in Functional Blocks
• High Performance PCI Subsystem Control Logic
• AC-Link Interface
• Built-in ALSFM Synthesizer
• PPMI Power Management
• Enhanced normal & digital game port
• 3D Effect Sound

Control logic is built into the ALS4000 to support the following functions:
• Audio Input
• CD-ROM Audio
• Line In
• Microphone
• PC Speaker In
• Audio Output
• Stereo Line-Out
• Game/MIDI Port
• External MIDI input and output
• Joystick input and MIDI connector

Software Support
• Windows 3.1
• Windows 95/98
• Windows NT 3.51/4.0/5.0
• Windows Sound System
• All DOS-based games

Compatibility
• Adlib
• All Sound Blaster Pro applications
• All Sound Blaster 16 applications
• Yamaha OPL3 FM Synthesizer
• Yamaha OPL4 Wavetable Synthesizer
• MPU-401 UART MIDI Applications
• 16-bit stereo sound cards
• PC motherboard based sound systems
• MIDI controller
• Enhanced Game port support

Emulation
• Sound Blaster Pro™
• Sound Blaster 16™
• Sound Blaster ADPCM
• MPU-401 UART MIDI interface

Now I have to find some utility that will make the OPL4 work in dos. If that's possible.

I have uploaded the official dos and win3.x installation files and the saka als4k initializer.

Attachments

• Filename
    ALS4000 Dos Install.zip
    File size
    209.27 KiB
    Downloads
    682 downloads
    File comment
    Official ALS4000 Dos installation files from Realtek website.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    als4kdos.zip
    File size
    230.75 KiB
    Downloads
    624 downloads
    File comment
    ALS4000 Dos initializer by saka.
    File license
  • Filename
    ALS4000 Win3.x Install.zip
    File size
    765.51 KiB
    Downloads
    730 downloads
    File comment
    ALS4000 Official Windows 3.x Installation files from Realtek website.
    File license

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 18, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malik: I have just mirrored your ASL-4000 driver stuff as Maliks ALS-4000stuff

here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MCM5AGIF

and here

http://www.multiupload.com/T9PWJOF6IB

Reply 4 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Herculean effort there Malik!

Couple of things I'm wondering:

1. Does it send Midi signals through the game port?
2. Have you tried the card on an even newer board?

Modern boards allow you to switch of cores, reduce the FSB and lower the CPU multiplier. On an Asrock socket 1156 board I had an i5 running at 50 or 100 MHz that way 😁

It ran Duke Nukem 3D and Doom just fine. But without sound of course...

Reply 5 of 18, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Herculean effort there Malik! […]
Show full quote

Modern boards allow you to switch of cores, reduce the FSB and lower the CPU multiplier. On an Asrock socket 1156 board I had an i5 running at 50 or 100 MHz that way 😁

there is no need, doom and duke have their timing mechanism and won't go out of speed control.
and even using the -timedemo benchmark, i have never been able to go much faster than 200fps in doom, on multiple computers. the fastest result i got was on an athlon64+nforce3+geforce2ultra, with the tnt2/gf256/gf2mx/gf3 just a few fpses behind. the geforce4 cards are much slower, no matter whatever platform its on.

Reply 6 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Show full quote

Mauf,

1. I haven't tested this part yet. WIll try it.

2. I intend to try it on my SandyBridge based S1155 mainboard which runs the i2500K processor.

Reply 7 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

there is no need, doom and duke have their timing mechanism and won't go out of speed control.
and even using the -timedemo benchmark, i have never been able to go much faster than 200fps in doom, on multiple computers. the fastest result i got was on an athlon64+nforce3+geforce2ultra, with the tnt2/gf256/gf2mx/gf3 just a few fpses behind. the geforce4 cards are much slower, no matter whatever platform its on.

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D sound quite good on Ensoniq Audio PCI or Creative sister. I have put up some recordings using this card:

Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI

I'm very fond of this little pocket-rocket card. They are cheap as chips but aren't perfect.

Forget FM, but for Sound Blaster and General Midi they work really well as long as the game runs with EMS memory installed.

That SB-Link cable isn't hard to build. I'm sure you could construct one yourself...

Reply 8 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, those games that require FM synth to play music or those that only play using FM synth are old enough to be played comfortably in Dosbox in a fast machine that only has PCI slots.

Mau1wurf, I'll create a new thread focusing only on PCI sound cards with drivers for use in DOS - doesn't matter how good or how bad, and I think I'll need your help there later with your experience in that Ensoniq card in Dos emulation mode. 😉

And for that SB-Link DIY cable, I think you can take a pair of simple Audio CD connector cables (the larger 4-pin black " simple flat" connectors) and use them to connect to the pins on both the soundcard as well as the motherboard. Just have to make sure that the each wire connects to the corresponding pin on either side. The flat headers can also be easily split longitudinally along the black plastic so that you wont have to deal with re-arranging headaches on the pins.)

Reply 10 of 18, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The exemplary pack of "bad" games for PCI cards to check compatibility: Commander Keen 6, Descent 1 & 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Dune, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, Larry I VGA, Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Mega Man X, Police Quest 3, Prince of Persia, Quarantine, Sam & Max - Hit The Road, Space Quest I VGA, Wing Commander 2
+ any important games like Dune 2 just to be sure they work well.

Music recorded from card's FM would interesting to hear too. The example is there: The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run!. At least, for Dune which sounds lame on CQM.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 11 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

2. I intend to try it on my SandyBridge based S1155 mainboard which runs the i2500K processor.

Did you try it yet?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 12 of 18, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I have a ALS4000 PCI Sound Card on a PC with Windows 98SE. Installed the drivers from VOGONS, and I only get sound effects and no music in Wolfenstein 3D. Is this normal? thank you!

EDIT: mainboard is an ASUS P4PE-XTE

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 13 of 18, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scandy wrote:

Hello,
I have a ALS4000 PCI Sound Card on a PC with Windows 98SE. Installed the drivers from VOGONS, and I only get sound effects and no music in Wolfenstein 3D. Is this normal? thank you!

EDIT: mainboard is an ASUS P4PE-XTE

How are you running the game? Launched from within Windows or did you boot into DOS? I can confirm that through Windows 98 you will only get sound effects but if you play it in real DOS mode the music also works.

I just recently set up a thin client rig with this card (the thin client has a PCI slot) and it works great, once properly configured.

One tip for anybody else reading this - I used the als4kdos set of drivers, and in the .cfg file, I had to change the card's DSP type from the default of 402 to 302 in order to get Duke Nuke'm 3d to work.

Reply 14 of 18, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello and sorry for my late answer.
I switched to a Sound Blaster PCI 512 (CT4790) and I finally hear MIDI music and sounds both in WIN98SE and DOS (of course using the DOS drivers).

I really can't understand why music didn't work with ALS4K (system is the same), I suppose for some kind of IRQ issue even if BIOS config is the same.
Anyhow, worth keep trying with the ALS4K? (e.g. is better than the SB?)

Thank you!

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 15 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone ever investigated what is so special on the i815/i815 chipsets?
Why are they so problematic with lot's of PCI-Soundcards on legacy dos?

edit: found it
Intel i810 or later do not support Distributed DMA for legacy DMA support for PCI.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote on 2011-10-14, 07:32:
Show full quote

Wow, it's been more than 8 years since I last posted this.

After a long gap, I resurrected this project, and now trying with another Pentium 4 based motherboard - Gigabyte 8IPE775 Pro. This time I have added SB Live! SB0060 card in it.

I have tested the ALS4000 card again and now can answer (obviously belated) these 2 questions:

1. Yes, it can send MIDI signals in pure DOS after initializing it with the ALS4KDOS utility (which is not a TSR, just an initializer and doesn't take any memory space or need any memory manager). It's a shame SB Live! couldn't send out MIDI OUT in pure DOS. And Line -IN doesn't work in DOS for the Live!.

Tried with another game, Heretic - sound effects not working but MIDI to my SC-55 MKII works.

Tried with Descent - I tried using both SB Live! for sound effects and the MIDI from ALS4000. This works.

Many games hang when both these cards are initialized. Something to do with this motherboard, I guess.

2. Haven't tried on anything newer but only with this another i865 chipset motherboard.

Reply 18 of 18, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies if this is a wrong thing to bring up this old topic instead of raising a new one - I am experimenting with a Labway ALS-4000 card at the moment, but from a different angle; I would like to get it work in DOS programs running in Windows 98 SE.

So far I was able to get Windows app working (sound, external MIDI, wavetable and OPL3), DOS apps - with my motherboard I only expected OPL3 and external MIDI to work and they actually did work. In fact special games, like Electroman/Electrobody actually seem to work with digitized samples as well; from what I understand they do not rely on IRQ/DMA to work with the SB card, but this is still nice to confirm the card is in principle operational as an SB.

Sadly in DOS apps running in Windows I only get OPL music and external MIDI; digital sound only produces strange meander noise... Has anyone had experience with this type of setup?

I am using the drivers from Vogons library, but only the vxd-type driver from the newer "WDM" package works for me.

EDIT: Playing with drivers from the web and archive.org never got me anywhere sadly; still getting the strange meander sound 🙁
I have however done a bit more testing of the SB emulation by going into pure DOS and trying FastDoom with Sound Blaster Direct for sound and Sound Blaster for music, and predictably that worked without issues.

Probably the combination of motherboard and soundcard is to blame, so will pursue other configurations for it, e.g. SBEMU-base ones.

EDIT2:
After having some success with setting up the card in pure DOS for FM and MPU-401, and routing the rest via SBEMU, I did some headphone listening and while I find it a nice card overall, compared to, say vortex or audigy, it has some downsides, so sharing here:

1. The level of noise is a bit too much for headphones gaming, and setting master to levels lower than 16 does not help at all. It could be my particular card, but there appears to be some "base noise" injected into card's output that mixer volume controls have no power over (probably coming from the PC itself) 😀

2. FM music sonds good most of the time, but somehow different from Yamaha chip. I tried Goblins 2/3 tracks from modland in adplay and they sounded quite close. Diode Milliampere tracks in AT2 while enjoyable sounded slightly different. Dune by Cryo sounded different as well. One example that stood out however, was COUNTD from Doom 2, where some voices sounded really strange. The latter makes me think that it the cards FM-chip to blame for the reuslt, not its mixer. That said, with simple desktop speakers, games sound quite nice with FM music, e.g. Kyrandia 1 sounds much better than with an audigy or vortex imho.

3. A rather niche issue, the one I described above: using the card for DOS games in Windows 9x has some compatibility issues, other cards I tried don't seem to have.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)