VOGONS

XGI Volari V8 Duo. Do they exist?

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have or seen one of these? I can't locate one anywhere and I have been checking shops and auctions sites around the world. Were any released? I can't even find single GPU V8's. The best I can find is Z7's.

Reply 1 of 26, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure they ever turned out to be more than vaporware. I know production samples were produced and sent to reviewers, but I never heard of someone buying one through normal channels.

Then again, maybe they did exist and it's just that no one ever bought one (and rightfully so, they were absolutely horrible, the reviews I read show that a lot of popular games at the time wouldn't even run). Factor in that it's performance was below Nvidia's Geforce FX series (and Nvidia was getting shredded by ATI at the time) and you had a very expensive mid range card with a high end price tag, and only if it would run games in the first place.

If they were sold though, someone's got to have one. You're right, I've never seen one in the wild. Not on ebay or anywhere. I did find a single GPU V8 that was refurbished, it weighs in at a hefty 100 bucks though (130 for 256mb version).

EDIT:

While we're at it, I wonder if anyone ever got a hold of one of the Sapphire dual GPU Radeon 9800 cards. They never left testing, and I'm not sure if they actually worked or not, but take a gander:

scheda_small.jpg[/img]

Reply 2 of 26, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw that card at Cebit long time ago (dual R9800). I also heard rumors about it being just a wrapped-up mop-up with chips. It never functioned, it was for display purposes only.

Reply 3 of 26, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

I saw that card at Cebit long time ago (dual R9800). I also heard rumors about it being just a wrapped-up mop-up with chips. It never functioned, it was for display purposes only.

I heard the same thing, but why bother to slap it together in the first place then?

I'm betting they were seriously considering it at one point, and then bailed when they realized it wouldn't be PCI express compatible. I'm pretty sure the R300 wasn't PCIe friendly.

Reply 4 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess it would come down to whether R350 was designed for such a configuration. There would probably need to be some sort of bridge chip and AGP didn't like that sort of thing. Probably why dualie cards didn't come in big until PCIe. Voodoo5 was more a PCI card in a AGP slot for example and Rage MAXX didn't work in NT5.

Reply 5 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
elfuego wrote:

I heard the same thing, but why bother to slap it together in the first place then?

I'm betting they were seriously considering it at one point, and then bailed when they realized it wouldn't be PCI express compatible. I'm pretty sure the R300 wasn't PCIe friendly.

The X300/X550/X600 was the 9600 core in PCIe and the X700 was the 9800 with a 128-bit memory controller, so R300 is not PCIe unfriendly at all.

Reply 6 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

X700 uses RV410 which was ATI's first 110nm GPU. It did perform somewhat like a 9800, but the GF 6600GT was much better. This is the chip that they canned the XT version of, because it couldn't compete, and instead created another gimped X800 model to fill in a segment.

Reply 9 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
ratfink wrote:

Xgi volari v8 duo on eBay now I see

It's broken. 😒

last I checked, wall-hangars don't need to work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 26, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It exists, someone on hardware.fr forum has one.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 11 of 26, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like in Russia you will find anything 😁 😉

http://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/xgi/xgi-volari-v8-duo-ultra-club3d/

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 12 of 26, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were several manufacturers with V8 Duo. But V5 Duo afaik never went on sale.

swaaye wrote:

X700 uses RV410 which was ATI's first 110nm GPU. It did perform somewhat like a 9800, but the GF 6600GT was much better. This is the chip that they canned the XT version of, because it couldn't compete, and instead created another gimped X800 model to fill in a segment.

Yes, seems like it did not met target clock. But I would be careful calling 6600GT better, price/performance could still be on ATI's side.

Reply 13 of 26, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vlask wrote:

Seems like in Russia you will find anything 😁 😉

Actually I've bought this card on german ebay site 😀

Videocard Virtual Museum

Reply 15 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They just proved that the graphics industry was passed the days of small startups competing.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/755-xg … v8-ultra-256mb/

CoD.png

Reply 17 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah XGI was SIS+Trident. Not really a startup but not exactly NVIDIA or ATI sized. I imagine the chip had some problems considering how the specs sheet didn't exactly match up to the results.

Reply 18 of 26, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can assure you that they did exist. I bought one on eBay many years ago, but had to sell it. I had to relinquish most part of my GPU collection, but I still have the Volari V5 at hand.

Awful performance and buggy drivers, but a curiosity nonetheless. That and one of those 3dfx boards from the company which integrated them for workstations and whose name I can't recall now.