VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remembered something from the VIA C3 Samuel 2 Datasheet, Here are some quotes from that document:

VIA C3 Samuel 2 (1,6 Volt; 700..800MHz) wrote:
The bus-clock multiplier is hardwired into each VIA C3 Samuel 2 processor chip. ... Actually, it is semi-frozen. A VIA-unique ma […]
Show full quote

The bus-clock multiplier is hardwired into each VIA C3 Samuel 2 processor chip.
Actually, it is semi-frozen. A VIA-unique machine specific register allows programming to temporarily change the hard-wired multiplier. This capability, documented in Appendix A, is intended for special BIOS situations and test and debug usage.
BUS CONTROL REGISTER 2: Certain bits in BCR2 register are used to program the processor’s clock multiplier.
BIT 19: ESOFTBF - Enables Software Clock Multiplier
BIT 26:23: CLOCKMUL - Software Clock Multiplier

It is a bit like the AMD K6-III+ and K6-2+ software multiplier. Potentially very practical, but only when there is a DOS tool to configure this.

Gona wrote:

On Socket 7 in DOS ALI Aladdin V is faster in low resolutions (like 3DBENCH) but VIA MVP3 is faster than Aladdin V in higher resolutions with all CPUs.

K6-III+ and K6-2+ (6x86MX too?) support write combining tof the LFB (MTRRLFBE), which makes all the difference in Vesa high res speed, together with the FSB speed that is.

Last edited by gerwin on 2013-08-14, 15:32. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 42 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just found two Windows programs that allow C3 Multiplier Control:
1) WCPUID by H.ODA. wcpu330.exe (Main site down, search for mirrors)
2) http://crystalmark.info - Crystal CPUID

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 43 of 45, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great finding!
Maybe Ezra and Nehemiah cores use the same control registers for multiplier.
A Nehemiah 1.2GHz would be good for testing but I have none of them. I have archived these two programs (maybe later I get one later VIA CPU).

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 44 of 45, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gona wrote:

I was amazed too. The C5A 650 MHz by DOS performance is somewhere between the MMX 200 and the MMX 233 MHz. Unfortunately I have no WinChip 2 to compare them but I would be curious. 😀

According to the 686 benchmark comparison, the Cyrix C3 Samuel, C5A at 550 MHz was about as good as a Pentium P55C at 262 MHz for FPU performance. The C5A-550 scored about the same as a P55C-250 in Quake II. 550 Mhz was the slowest I tested the C5A. 400 Mhz was the slowest I tested a Nehemiah. The 400 MHz Nehemiah with a 66 Mhz bus easily beat the Samual C5A at 550 MHz with a 100 MHz bus in all FPU benchmarks.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 45 of 45, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote:
I have tested three BX board: Abit AB-BX6: not work at all; something Lucky Star: Boot as 550MHz but writes Celeron; ASUS P3B-F: […]
Show full quote

I have tested three BX board:
Abit AB-BX6: not work at all;
something Lucky Star: Boot as 550MHz but writes Celeron;
ASUS P3B-F: Not boot with jumperless, jumpered to FSB 100 will boot as 550MHz whatever is the multiplier.

I have found an other slotket (Socket 370 to Slot 1 adaptor): "AA370TS" like this (Click on the pictures to see larger version):
AA370TS_tn.jpg
Image made by 5u3 Thanks! 😀
So this slotket have jumper settings for VIA CPU and I have try it with jumpered to VIA and FSB 100 with my VIA Samuel (C5A) 650MHz on the ASUS P3B-F.
Perfect! It boot as 650MHz. I have tested with system info prorgam and it is true 6.5x100MHz. 😀

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix