VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone tried this yet? I figure since Win9x doesn't support multiple cores or multiple processors that the P4EE 3.73 ghz is probably the fastest single core CPU it will run on with the 2.1ghz hotfix installed. Is there a single core Athlon 64 that's faster?

Reply 2 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I don't believe there's a single core A64 that can match that P4. But the heat from that Prescott at that speed is awfully annoying.

I was just looking around for some benchies and the FX-55 and FX-57 look like they might be faster, cooler and draw less power. Does anyone have either of those?

Reply 3 of 15, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the fastest single core cpu in the netburst family is the 3.46EE, as its 3 level cache structure is more efficient, while prescott's 2mb l2 cache has higher latency.
as for the 3.46ee, i consider it to be generally comparable to an overclocked athlon64-939-e6 running at 200*13 or 250*10. however, a fx57 should be faster than both.

Reply 4 of 15, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I don't believe there's a single core A64 that can match that P4. But the heat from that Prescott at that speed is awfully annoying.

No worse than some of the Phenom II chips. It's all relative.

Reply 5 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing to consider... 98SE can't use the Hyperthreading of the P4EE. I'm not sure how much difference it actually makes (I skipped the P4 generation and have pretty much ignored their existence), but if there's an A64 that's close in performance to the P4EE, having Hyperthreading disabled might be enough give the edge to the Athlon...

Reply 6 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure the 9X Windowses are completely allergic to SMP in any form, from multiple threads, to cores, to chips.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does Windows 98 run on multi-core processors at all or does it just ignore the extra cores? Would there be a multi-core CPU out there that runs faster than FX-57 utilizing only one of it's cores?

Reply 8 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
swaaye wrote:

No worse than some of the Phenom II chips. It's all relative.

Yup, but that Phenom II is a quadcore, so 75% of all CPU power is wasted right there.

Apparently NT4.0 and 2k also had problems working correctly with Hyperthreading, so it's really only beneficial for XP and up.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Win9x will usually run on multi-core systems, simply ignoring the additional cores/threads, though I don't know if it'll get along peacefully on all such systems.

If you're just looking for the fastest Win98 system, probably what you'll want is a Celeron 430/440/450 on one of those Asrock Conroe865 boards.

Reply 10 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I think Win9x will usually run on multi-core systems, simply ignoring the additional cores/threads, though I don't know if it'll get along peacefully on all such systems.

If you're just looking for the fastest Win98 system, probably what you'll want is a Celeron 430/440/450 on one of those Asrock Conroe865 boards.

A 2.2 ghz Celeron would really be faster than an FX-57 that runs at 2.8ghz and outruns a 3.73ghz P4 Extreme?

According to the chart here

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

One of the 3.2ghz single core Xeons I have in my server would be even faster than the FX-57, but how would they be for gaming? I wouldn't think Xeons would be optimized in the same way. Would Windows 98 even run on a Xeon?

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-05-17, 01:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But you'd need some special board for running such a Xeon, right??
I'm not sure how suitable such a Xeon board would be for running 9x

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

But you'd need some special board for running such a Xeon, right??
I'm not sure how suitable such a Xeon board would be for running 9x

Yeah, the board is a Tyan Thunder dual socket 604 board. It has an AGP Pro slot, though, so I can get a decent video card in there at least and it officially supports 2gb of RAM which is enough for most games up to that time.

Reply 13 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At stock speed, an FX-57 or P4EE might be a little bit faster. Here's a side-by-side of 3.6ghz P4 660 against a 2ghz Celeron 440... that's the closest comparison I can find. Keep in mind when looking at those results, most of those benchmarks are multithreaded, and the Celeron still puts up a pretty good showing... the difference for your purposes will be much smaller, since there's not going to be any multithreading going on.

The trick, though, is that it's pretty trivial to ramp those Celerons up to ~3ghz... usually doesn't even need any extra voltage or cooling. At that speed, the Celeron is most certainly going to wipe the floor with a P4 or A64.

Reply 14 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Apparently NT4.0 and 2k also had problems working correctly with Hyperthreading, so it's really only beneficial for XP and up.

NT3.51, NT4 and 2K will work on a HyperThreading CPU, but because they can't tell the difference between physical CPUs and threads, they will treat the threads like independent CPUs, resulting in cache misses, and generally slowing things down.

I think one of the later patches for 2000 might make it HT aware, but XP is definitely prepared for multiple threads.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

NT3.51, NT4 and 2K will work on a HyperThreading CPU, but because they can't tell the difference between physical CPUs and threads, they will treat the threads like independent CPUs, resulting in cache misses, and generally slowing things down.

I think one of the later patches for 2000 might make it HT aware, but XP is definitely prepared for multiple threads.

I think your are correct as Windows 2000 with SP4 seems to run great with SMP enabled.

I thought there were some patches for Win 9x/ME to support or patch maybe a better word, HT enabled CPU's and Motherboards so you didn't have to change anything in the BIOS.

No matter where you go, there you are...