VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed 98SE on my industrial motherboard today, seemed to go without a hitch until I got to the sound card.

System specs:
P4 2.8
Phoenix ATX-G AGP/PCI/ISA motherboard
CD ROM - 10GM HD - no FDD
onboard NIC enabled and working in 98SE
onboard AC97 audio disabled
onboard USB disabled [all various parts of it]
PNY 128mb FX5200 AGP, nvidia drivers 71.xx
SB16 ISA card, seems to have no CT number, its got CT1741 and CT1745 chips
new psu

Bios settings:
serial and parallel ports disabled
reserved IRQ5, IRQ7, DMA 0 and 1, 64kb memory for ISA devices
[no idea if memory is relevant to sound cards 😜]
Moon ISA device enabled [allows ISA devices to work!]
There are clock settings for 8-bit and 16-bit ISA compared to PCI clock, these are set at 4 but varying them seems to have no impact

SB16 sound card drivers install, either from 98SE CD or some sb16 drivers I have used previously in 98. Device manager shows no conflicts, device is working properly. Multimedia has SB16 selected for recording and playback [and MIDI fwiw]. Headphones plugged into correct jack and during testing I am varying the volume control on the back of the sound card.

Problem: When I call up Sounds control panel to test the sound card, when I play a sound there is just a louder or higher pitched hiss through my headphones. The volume panel indicates the sound plays continually so I have to click on the square to stop it playing etc. Sometimes - I am not sure exactly when this starts to happen as it can be immediately I try to play any sound - I get a message along the lines "Windows cannot play file xxxxxx, your sound card is/maybe in use".

Any ideas? Googling has thrown up issues with wrong devices selected for playback [its not that] or reinstalling drivers [I've done that].

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, sounds like the issues I had with IRQ's when I had both the GUS and SB16 setup in Windows - for some reason Windows would re-assign different IRQ's to that which were set in DOS (and allow both cards to work successfully), and the SB16 would give either a looping sound when the wave device was accessed, or muffled static. I didn't get a 'device in use' error though.
I eventually figured I was asking Windows to do too much resource management and disabled the GUS in windows (there was nothing much in Windows that took real advantage of it anyway)... that seemed to give enough leeway for Windows to correctly manage the available system resources and the problem went away.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woohoo, got sound working at last! But no music yet.

TheMAN, looks like you were right - I changed likely-looking bios settings [reboot, try games, etc] but what finally seemed to fix it was reserving dma 5 that I had not initially realised the card was using. Windows 98 had reported no conflicts of course. So now have sound in dos and 98. No music in either though so I'm guessing something is muted somehow; wave slider in volume panel is not the cause though. Seem to recall some utility to fix this, so I'm going to have a look at malik's driver collection upload.

Thanks for the help.

Reply 5 of 6, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you mean with 'no music'? No midi? If so, check the multimedia settings and set the correct midi device (MPU if you have midi DB or similar, or synth otherwise).

Reply 6 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I meant no FM synthesis, which I'm assuming is what for example heretic tries to play when you select sound blaster as the music card. Under DOS or windows.

I don't get any midi either, but that doesn't matter to me right now. For MIDI, the windows multimedia setting is pointing to the Creative Wave Synth [220], but the MIDI slider in the volume control panel is greyed out.

Running SB16mix.exe utility does not seem to make any difference to getting FM synth music.