Grrr! AT computer cases...

Topic actions

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where on earth have they all gone?

I'm trying to find something to put my 286 system in and there's virtually nothing out there.

I'm even contemplating making something (out of wood, maybe with case mounted speakers) as a way around it!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could go the ATX2AT route, using a compatible ATX case, PSU with adapter and a backplate with just the 1 hole in it.

I've found AT cases to be near extinct in the wild here in The Netherlands. They do appear from time to time, but more often there's not a single one available. Even flea markets I never see them anymore.

Iirc theres some AT cases available on Ebay, but it won't be cheap.

Early ATX cases often had the AT mounting standoffs.

Frankly, I'm glad I kept most AT cases I found dumped on the side of the road 8-ish years ago, even though a couple of them are pretty ugly and/or yellow

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-05-18, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crushed into cubes and melted down for scrap I'd imagine.

They are pretty hard to find in good condition these days. I've been lucky and found a few discarded on the side of the road but they are usually Socket 7's so very late for the AT era. The cool looking early 90's/late 80's cases are very hard to come by.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finding one of those earlier cases with the led thingy in the front...oh that would be awesome!!

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if you have a second hand digital marketplace where people sell their stuff second hand, but best bet is to keep lurking those.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AT style cases are very hard to find and cost as much as or more than ATX cases. You may even have to resort to buying a whole computer just to get the case but that can be even more expensive. There is no cheap replacement for an AT style case out there anymore. Most of the older machines that used them were sold for scrap and recycled long ago and there's enough people in the vintage computing hobby now that it drives prices up. The days of getting a pre-Pentium machine for $20 are long gone.

Reply 7 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol, think prices of these might go up so much, someone will start manufacturing them again? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple of spare AT cases with the MHz LED display on the front, salvaged from dump or side of the road. If you were in Aus I'd probably let you take one for a six pack or something. 😀

Reply 9 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I have a couple of spare AT cases with the MHz LED display on the front, salvaged from dump or side of the road. If you were in Aus I'd probably let you take one for a six pack or something. 😀

Here ya go. LoL.!

Fosters%206pk%20Btls%20WEB.jpg

Reply 10 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went up to the attic (will be rearranging some stuff tomorrow) and had a look at the AT cases.
And I remember now that AT cases had just sooo many disadvantages:
*Often AT cases are made of poor quality
*Often they have sharp edges, so whenever working inside one, bring some extra plasters 😜
*They have VERY poor cooling, the case might have an option for a front fan at best
*AT PSU's are often of crappy manufacture, and even if you replace it with a quality ATX PSU + adapter, the ATX PSU's with a large fan or opening in the bottom will have this area blocked by the plate that holds the AT PSU in place
*These cases "usually" are of the U cap type, I've only seen them with side panels in 1 case or so.
*Often the harddrive mounting metal thingy will be of great hindrance when mounting/unmounting the AT motherboard (though most AT cases can have the backplate removed, so one advantage there).

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Here ya go. LoL.! […]
Show full quote
DonutKing wrote:

Here ya go. LoL.!

ugh I don't drink that crap, Tooheys for me

I don't think anybody in australia actually drinks fosters. Its like our major export beer - we think its crap so we ship it to all the poor suckers overseas 😜

Reply 12 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

You do hey?

My Pentium MMX rig has a speed display, I set the display to 199 because the leading digit can only be a 1. 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen one that had more than a 1 for the leading digit.

One is boxed up ready to go for mattym on atomic who posted a 'goodbye cruel world' type thread so I guess that's ones up for grabs now?

EDIT: just checked and I think its a newer style AT case that doesn't have the display. I think I have at least 1 with the display at home, maybe 2.

Reply 14 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Here ya go. LoL.! […]
Show full quote
DonutKing wrote:

Here ya go. LoL.!

I don't think anybody in australia actually drinks fosters. Its like our major export beer - we think its crap so we ship it to all the poor suckers overseas 😜

Smart guys 😉

We do the same with Heineken, which tastes like water 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 35, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote:

I'm even contemplating making something (out of wood, maybe with case mounted speakers) as a way around it!

I did a google image search for home made computer case, and the results are inspiring.

Reply 16 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Here ya go. LoL.! […]
Show full quote
DonutKing wrote:

Here ya go. LoL.!

And here I figured you for a VB drinker. Everywhere I go I see Aussies talking about how much they love VB.

Reply 17 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fosters is for tourists (I think). Nobody local drinks it...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 35, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here I figured you for a VB drinker. Everywhere I go I see Aussies talking about how much they love VB.

VB is horrible, those 'aussies' should have their citizenship revoked imho

Reply 19 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

VB is horrible, those 'aussies' should have their citizenship revoked imho

They should rename VB to BC.

Bogan's Choice.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread