VOGONS

How's this for a future collectible?

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

6800 Ultra Extreme AGP. Very limited run of these made and although not as fast as the X800 Platinum or X850 Platinum with AA and AF turned on, it does support shader model 3.0 where the Radeons only support SM 2.0 so it should be good for later games that require SM 3.0. The 6800 is also the last family of video cards from either company to have an official Win98 driver and the GeForce 6 is also still supported in the latest Windows 7 drivers. The fastest Radeon to be supported under Win98 was the 9800XT and the oldest cards to still be supported under Windows 7 are the HD2x000 series. If you're building the fastest Win98-AGP machine, you would need one of these cards. eVGA held a lottery and only 175 people got the chance to buy one of these cards at a price of $550 in 2004.

188-b.gif

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?aid=188

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-05-20, 08:45. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 29, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Being that only 175 were made makes it already collectible. No future needed 😉

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How bout this for collectible? 😉
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1009/1/
Only 100 ever made!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

The rarity is somewhat offset by the fact that most regular 6800 Ultras and many 6800GT's can take a BIOS flash to get them to run at 6800 Ultra Extreme speeds and both of those cards are a helluva lot easier to get and much more reasonably priced. Still, not many people can say they have the real thing.

Reply 4 of 29, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

The rarity is somewhat offset by the fact that most regular 6800 Ultras and many 6800GT's can take a BIOS flash to get them to run at 6800 Ultra Extreme speeds and both of those cards are a helluva lot easier to get and much more reasonably priced. Still, not many people can say they have the real thing.

the pcb design of 6800u and 6800gt are different, which means while the 6800gt can be overclocked to provide the 6800u's performance, it can never become a physical 6800u! 😒
the 6800u is somehow worthy collecting for being nvidia's fastest native agp card, and i perfer the standard nvidia card than that evga sticker. 😎

Reply 5 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
sliderider wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

the pcb design of 6800u and 6800gt are different, which means while the 6800gt can be overclocked to provide the 6800u's performance, it can never become a physical 6800u! 😒
the 6800u is somehow worthy collecting for being nvidia's fastest native agp card, and i perfer the standard nvidia card than that evga sticker. 😎

I'm not seeing a huge difference between the two apart from an extra power connector and the caps that go with it and that the Ultra has two DVI connectors while the GT has a DVI and a VGA. The GT also has a heatsink over some additional parts which is kinda strange because you'd think the Ultra would need the heatsink since it runs hotter and is clocked higher, but that's probably a choice nVidia leaves to the vendor. The bare boards look otherwise identical and look like they would be interchangeable on the assembly line. Even where there are parts missing on the GT that are present on the Ultra, there are pads for them.

6800GT AGP
eVGA-GeForce-6800GT-top.jpg

6800 Ultra AGP

Mac-nVidia-Geforce-6800-Ultra-256MB-DDR3-For-G4-G5-AGP.jpg

Reply 6 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCB's look almost 100% identical. Only difference I spot are a couple caps and resistors on the right side and of course the dual DVI on the left.
If you get one, very nice, but otherwise not worth it to shell out big for if you ask me.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 29, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

the 6800u is somehow worthy collecting for being nvidia's fastest native agp card

I can understand that making it collectable to some, but does it have any practical [ie. discernible] performance advantage over non-native agp cards back-ported to agp like a 7800gs?

Reply 8 of 29, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

the 6800u is somehow worthy collecting for being nvidia's fastest native agp card

I can understand that making it collectable to some, but does it have any practical [ie. discernible] performance advantage over non-native agp cards back-ported to agp like a 7800gs?

Win98 drivers.

Reply 9 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
ratfink wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

Win98 drivers.

Yup, That's I guess the reason for even mentioning this card. It's got to be one of the fastest cards available for 9x.

Personally with only 170? made, I'll probably not try too hard to hunt one down though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

Ok, fair enough, I overlooked the reference to 98 guess I never had the need for something that fast with that operating system.

And, the GeForce 6 is also the oldest card to still be supported in the 275 Beta drivers, which means you can make a dual boot system with 98 and any newer Windows version including Vista or 7 without having more than one video card or swapping video cards. ATi dropped support for everything prior to HD2000 when Vista was released. There is no comparable ATi card that can run on such a wide range of Windows versions.

Reply 16 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh come on you know all of the reviewers were corrupt and paid off by the NV40 committee and ATI!! And you know DX9 will never be used in any cool games. C'mon!

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

An no my 5900 Ultra is no vacuum. I stuck an Accelero S2 on it. It originally did have twin 40mm evil pain fans however.
2e1a54117543272.jpg 375cea117543279.jpg

Reply 17 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
Oh come on you know all of the reviewers were corrupt and paid off by the NV40 committee and ATI!! And you know DX9 will never b […]
Show full quote

Oh come on you know all of the reviewers were corrupt and paid off by the NV40 committee and ATI!! And you know DX9 will never be used in any cool games. C'mon!

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

An no my 5900 Ultra is no vacuum. I stuck an Accelero S2 on it. It originally did have twin 40mm evil pain fans however.
2e1a54117543272.jpg 375cea117543279.jpg

Doesn't it get expensive buying S2's for every video card you own after a while?

Reply 18 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're only about $20. I can't get enough silence so it's worth it. I've only bought two of them though, one for this pathetic NV35 card and one for my X850XT.

Actually I just got a 6600GT with a dead fan that I need to do something with. If I ever plan to use it.... The AGP/PCIe bridge chip makes the options more limited because of how it has the GPU positioned rather uniquely.

Reply 19 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

They're only about $20. I can't get enough silence so it's worth it. I've only bought two of them though, one for this pathetic NV35 card and one for my X850XT.

Actually I just got a 6600GT with a dead fan that I need to do something with. If I ever plan to use it.... The AGP/PCIe bridge chip makes the options more limited because of how it has the GPU positioned rather uniquely.

I thought you had a 8800 GT that you put one on.