VOGONS

486 mobo won't POST

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing an Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 1.7 486 mobo, and unfortunately I can't get it to POST. I attached a PC speaker to the mobo's speaker pins, and it doesn't beep when I switch on power. I've tried various CPUs, stick(s) of FPM RAM, and VGA cards in various slots.

The top of the capacitor right next to the CPU has a "bashed about" look to it. One good bit of news is that the 3 keyboard lights flash once when the power is switched on. Any ideas please people?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-05-27, 12:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll go have a look and see what I can find on the net...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 22, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try something else. 99% of the cases that a board originally seamed dead, and afterwards it started working ok, was doing so because of the cmos clear jumper. If it's in the wrong position, some boards don't work at all.

Reply 3 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, I don't think this revision 1.7 mobo has a clear CMOS jumper. There's a jumper marked INT/EXT for Internal/External battery. I've set it to internal, because it uses a button/coin battery. Next to this jumper, there's an external battery jumper. It has 4 pins, but one pin is actually missing.

Reply 4 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can reset the BIOS by simply removing the battery for a couple hours 😉

Worked for me anyway 😉

Markk wrote:

Try something else. 99% of the cases that a board originally seamed dead, and afterwards it started working ok, was doing so because of the cmos clear jumper. If it's in the wrong position, some boards don't work at all.

I had it in the CLEAR_CMOS position once and the board fried a horrible death! (poor poor A7V333 🙁 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 22, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This sounds like the exact same problem that I've been running into with my 486s. What solved it for a few boards was when I switched to parity ram thanks to the suggestion of a few Vogoners, even if the board didn't ask for parity (I'm not sure if that exactly method will with with the GX4 but trying something like that might help). Of course the other two problems that I ran into was dirt and faulty PSUs, which you probably already ruled out, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Hope this helps.

Reply 7 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nenemis's tip sounds like a good lead 😉

But I did suddenly come up with something!
RG100, does your board happen to have it's cache modules removed by any chance?
I remember reading that many 486 boards had the default setting in BIOS for 256kb cache, and if there isn't any on the board, it won't post.

Also check the jumpers to make sure it's cache is jumpered the correct amount

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for all the ideas. I think the RAM and PSU are OK. However, there is something odd about the cache. It's configured for 256Kb. 4 chips are 20ns, and 4 chips are 15ns. The tag chip is 20ns. I removed all 9 of these chips. I replaced them with 9 same brand "256" 20ns chips. Unfortunately, I get no POST. I'll remove the coin/button battery, and try again in the morning...

Reply 9 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

20ns and 15ns shouldn't matter as long as your set the FSB on the motherboard low enough for the 20ns cache chips 😉

I hope for you the board isn't a dud. Have you made sure all the jumpers are correct? Theres no visible damage on the board like missing/damaged resistors or scratches?

Perhaps it would be better to wait till tomorrow, things tend to be more visible at daylight 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I did try what looks like the original 128Kb cache configuration, but unfortunately that didn't work. And I've put a new coin/button battery back in to the mobo this morning and unfortunately it won't POST. Pity.

Reply 12 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not using that CPU that was put in the wrong orientation on that other board I presume?
Would be a good idea to try a couple other CPU's anyway. You could even try without a CPU to hear if it gives any error beeps 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I "think" that click is normal. Could it be a bad BIOS chip perhaps?

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 22, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i suspect that any speaker clicks and keyboard lights
just indicate that power is flowing through the board.
regarding that capacitor then i suspect it's for the
3v option on the x4 and may not be needed for 5v
cpu operation.

i have the 5v only board which is fully working
and named VL/I-486SV2G REV. 1.4 which I have
had since about '96.

I've uploaded a hi-res image for you which may not
be useful but may give you some thoughts to
consider what may be wrong.

[IMG=http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5818/vli486sv2g.th.jpg][/IMG]

good luck.

Reply 16 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the image. I double-checked your jumper settings. They look 100% correct, and of course they are! 😀 I tried those settings last night for my SL enhanced (but not write back) DX2-66. Currently, the board is set to not SL enhanced (and not write back) SX-25.

I don't think my board is capable of setting the CPU voltage. I can't see any voltage jumpers. Therefore, it must be a 5V only mobo.

PICT2584.JPG

Reply 17 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the image. I double-checked your jumper settings. They look 100% correct, and of course they are! :happy: I […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot for the image. I double-checked your jumper settings. They look 100% correct, and of course they are! 😀 I tried those settings last night for my SL enhanced (but not write back) DX2-66. Currently, the board is set to not SL enhanced (and not write back) SX-25.

I don't think my board is capable of setting the CPU voltage. I can't see any voltage jumpers. Therefore, it must be a 5V only mobo.

PICT2584.JPG

Have you looked here?

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AS … 6SV2G-VL-I.html

At the bottom it shows different jumper settings for 3.3 and 5v. There are also numerous jumpers that have be set to tell the motherboard what type and speed CPU you have. Maybe your jumpers are not set to match your CPU.

Reply 18 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, I've seen that webpage. The jumper settings on it do not match my board revision. For example, JP12 and JP15 are labelled on my board, but have no user configurable jumper setting. I notice this a lot on retro mobos. It's because manufacturers use the same PCB for different revisions.

Reply 19 of 22, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i notice that that revision has quite a bit
of redesign in the cpu power regulator
circuit, otherwise they seem pretty much
the same.

for your interest i have uploaded another
photo of my known working RAM:

p1010470.th.jpg